no MadVR, correct?

spon

Unfortunately, I accidentally updated ET today and it looks like there is no MadVR support again. Reading through some of the forum posts, it appears that madVR will no longer be an option moving forward. Is that correct? Do any other madVR fans have any suggestions of alternatives? I'm a longtime supporter of Emby, but madVR is a must for me. External player is not an option at all as we stop/resume if multiple rooms very frequently and seeing the In Progress on the home screen is a must.

Thanks for any suggestions.

• Like 1

Correct, but an older version will still work. We may add support for resume with mpc-hc in the future. thanks.

Having just built a new WIn10 PC purely for use with ET, I too was surprised and initially disappointed to see that MadVR support had gone again in v3.0. What I was more surprised by though was the quality of the native playback engine in ET. It's now very, very good indeed, and certainly 'good enough' for most.

Glad you're enjoying the default player. If you have the horsepower there are settings in the app you can play with to make it even better.

• 3 weeks later...
mrfaulk

yes, i was recently looking for madvr settings and counldn't find them, i then did a pc search with astrogrep and didn't find any traces of madvr on my pc, i'm using emby 3.3.1.0 server and the web client... that said, was it ever possible to use madvr with the web client, with past emby versions? or was the only way to use madvr/emby with past versions was to use an external player?

speaking of which, i'm using an i5 nuc as my movie htpc, and with just a standalone player + madvr the nuc struggled mightily with madvr unless using the bare minimum settings, which really defeated using madvr imo... but the nuc doesn't break a sweat with anything up to 1080p, sans madvr, altho it can't handle 4k..

anyway, i'm very happy with the nuc footprint, don't want to invest in a big, muscle htpc with a top of the line video card, don't have the space, instead running the nuc through my lumagen 3d mini works just fine.

Guest asrequested

yes, i was recently looking for madvr settings and counldn't find them, i then did a pc search with astrogrep and didn't find any traces of madvr on my pc, i'm using emby 3.3.1.0 server and the web client... that said, was it ever possible to use madvr with the web client, with past emby versions? or was the only way to use madvr/emby with past versions was to use an external player?

speaking of which, i'm using an i5 nuc as my movie htpc, and with just a standalone player + madvr the nuc struggled mightily with madvr unless using the bare minimum settings, which really defeated using madvr imo... but the nuc doesn't break a sweat with anything up to 1080p, sans madvr, altho it can't handle 4k..

anyway, i'm very happy with the nuc footprint, don't want to invest in a big, muscle htpc with a top of the line video card, don't have the space, instead running the nuc through my lumagen 3d mini works just fine.

Emby Theater is pretty much a UI. It's applied to three different apps/players. You are talking  about the Theater web app, which uses the browser player. There is also the Windows store (UWP) version. That uses the widows player/media foundation. This thread is specifically referring to the desktop app, that you download from the emby site. This app has it's own player, currently mpv. It used to use directshow players. LAV and MadVR. MPV is ffmpeg based, and operates differently from the directshow players. Some hacks were required to have both mpv and MadVR, which caused other issues. So MadVR was removed, to create more stability and better functionality.

mrfaulk

Emby Theater is pretty much a UI. It's applied to three different apps/players. You are talking  about the Theater web app, which uses the browser player. There is also the Windows store (UWP) version. That uses the widows player/media foundation. This thread is specifically referring to the desktop app, that you download from the emby site. This app has it's own player, currently mpv. It used to use directshow players. LAV and MadVR. MPV is ffmpeg based, and operates differently from the directshow players. Some hacks were required to have both mpv and MadVR, which caused other issues. So MadVR was removed, to create more stability and better functionality.

yes, i started with the desktop app, tried the windows app as well, and finally settled on the web client (app)... i also played around with the android tv app before i decided i didn't care for the shield tv (android box) experience, altho i loved the remote control voice interface with leanback (which iim going to ask about in another thread)... anyway, when using the desktop app, which is still installed on my pc, i looked for madvr settings, then i looked for any trace of a madvr on my pc, came up empty,,, thought i would ask if madvr could be used with an older version of the web client, or any browser player/application for that matter, which i didn't think was possible....

Edited by mrfaulk

mrfaulk

No, madvr with the web app isn't possible.

yeah, didn't make much sense that it would be possible, thought i'd ask tho!

so what about the browser player, does the player vary depending on which browser you use? is one browser player superior than another? are there any settings that can be adjusted to improve browser player pq and playback? is the mpv player far superior to a browser player? thanks!

Yes the experience will vary per browser, yes mpv will be superior. For strictly browser playback, Chrome will be the best option.

mrfaulk

Yes the experience will vary per browser, yes mpv will be superior. For strictly browser playback, Chrome will be the best option.

interesting... i tried to compare video quality between mpv (desktop app) and edge browser using a mkv 1080p video file and couldn't really see a difference, they both looked great, of course this was just an eyeball test on a 27" 1920x1080 monitor....

so when it comes to browser players, is one better than another because one is flash while the other is html5?

jachin99

Keep in mind the big advantage of madvr is how well it upconverts videos. With a native Blu-ray you won't see much difference between mad vr and lav. I've never liiked at mpv

• Like 2