M3u - How to make Emby pick highest quality stream?

surprisejedi

Hi, im new to IPTV. Does the above update mean that a list of IPTV stations will be in the new update & we simply just choose the ones we want?

No mate, it just means when you provide a live TV stream emby will intelligently select an appropriate quality instead of forcing playback of the lowest quality in the stream without an ability to change the quality. 

You'll still need to find/provide your own IPTV streams as you need to do now. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

This should hopefully be included in the next major release of Live TV currently in development.

• 1 month later...
wouterdebie

I did some investigation and this mechanism is called Adaptive Bitrate Streaming (or ABR). Currently ffmpeg doesn't have support for it when reading from a stream; it simply picks the first "program" in the m3u. There's someone who created some ffmpeg patches (https://spartazhc.github.io/2020/08/23/ABR-meets-FFmpeg-in-detail/), but they have not been merged to master (yet). My guess is that since Emby relies on ffmpeg having this feature will take a while..

The next version of Live TV won't normally need to use ffmpeg to read the streams so it will have far more control over the process for things like this!

nashi20002003

I don't think the issue is with ffmpeg.  I used a plug in in Kodi to record my streams on android...wihch was useing ffmpeg to read the streams and it was working perfectly..

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=329991

I also used TVheadhend on linux with routing stream to ffmpeg thru pipe (pipe:///usr/bin/ffmpeg ) and it all worked alright with reading the stream and it all worked fine

https://tvheadend.org/boards/4/topics/27112

I also tried xteve the plug on windows which also used ffmpeg  to decode the streams and then I can record them on my android tv...and it all worked fine.

https://github.com/xteve-project/xTeVe-Documentation/blob/master/en/configuration.md

So ffmpeg would not be the issue.  It's probably the way you implement ffmpeg into your application which would cause issue.

wouterdebie
22 hours ago, cayars said:

The next version of Live TV won't normally need to use ffmpeg to read the streams so it will have far more control over the process for things like this!

Oh that's great news!! When is the next version expected?

3 hours ago, wouterdebie said:

Oh that's great news!! When is the next version expected?

Sorry, no ETA yet.

• 2 weeks later...
nashi20002003

This is taking way too long.....Channels DVR was behind emby implementing m3u support.  Now Channels DVR has m3u, tveverywhere, locast, playon cloud support in additon to HDHomeRun.    We're still wainting on Emby....Sorry I'm moving on unfortunately.

• Like 1

You can use Channels DVR from Emby so you can easily gain all those features in Emby if you want them.

nashi20002003

How do you do that for a feature like Live TV m3u....which is the problem currently with emby....how do you pass that strean to emby from channels..?

What I was saying is that if CDVR can do this and if you're using it for the other features it can do like TVE or Locast then you can easy take your whole CDVR setup and use it like one tuner and guide source in Emby itself.

This thread shows exactly how to integrate it.

nashi20002003

Interesting...i did not even know they have the feature to export the channels as m3u like TVheadend.  Thanks for the info.

• 1 month later...
neik
36 minutes ago, fr0z3n said:

Hi @cayarsany rough ETA on the feature? Q2 2021 or likely beyond? We've been eagerly waiting for this feature for many years now. Thanks! 

+1

We have been teased for at least one year now...

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
darkside40

Just to make it clear. This is still an issue.

The Problem is known for 2,5 years now and nothing happened (and is there maybe even longer).

Thats typically Emby. A problem that is solved in other projects like VLC or Kodi for a long time, takes ages, althought a fix could not be so complicated.

JohnWhitmore

another project which is a close relative (forked not too long ago) has already fixed the issue. I am testing this other product now.

BillOatman
21 hours ago, JohnWhitmore said:

another project which is a close relative (forked not too long ago) has already fixed the issue. I am testing this other product now.

Now sure how close of a relative it is, the forking was recent but the fork itself was from some time ago I believe.  But being open source things like this and new features can get fixed or added quicker if the right person/group take interest in it.  I haven't loaded a parallel server yet but it is tempting to see what it's like. I'm hearing good things recently. Good luck!

darkside40

I mean Jellyfin is a fork of the last Open Source Emby Version, thats some years ago.

Really dont know if it is better than Emby, but the Open Source thing is appealing.