Emby can't recognise music files

DJ...
Go to solution Solved by Deathsquirrel,

5 hours ago, ramseyn said:

Thanks, I'll do that 😀

For tracks to be grouped in an album, they need to have the same album and albumartist values. Please let us know how you get on. Thanks.

ramseyn

@Luke - of course. 

Now, using MP3Tag which is so much nicer than Picard, I can get ripped bluray audio to show properly in Emby.

Now to check video and see whether these BluRays have been properly recognised...

Thanks for letting me know that MP3Tag could be used - I always see Picard mentioned and because it links to the MusiBrainz databases it has often caused problems.

(Also harder to use with a less intuitive interface in my view but that's personal preference.)

ramseyn

All seems to work now. Emby has all these spaces for MusicBrainz tags - can they be completely ignored and all will work>

Are they for the system operation or just an added extra for those who want to use them to retrive lookup data?

Now all that is left is to find a way to not show all my individual video clips (rather like an album for music with tracks within) - so a folder containing a bunch of clips that I want to access as a folder of clips and choose the one I want is fine and I can do it through the Folders "tab" I guess. But all the clips will be shown throughout the alphabetic list of Movies. A number of clips folders and suddenly there could be hundreds of clips scattered through the library where I only want to see a <clip_folder> icon and go into that.

ramseyn

During all this I created a new Test library. How do I delete it? I see an option for Remove but that just removes the folder path from the library, I want to remove that entire test library.

There is a New Library button but no Delete Library (without touching the files) button.

Happy2Play
14 minutes ago, ramseyn said:

During all this I created a new Test library. How do I delete it? I see an option for Remove but that just removes the folder path from the library, I want to remove that entire test library.

There is a New Library button but no Delete Library (without touching the files) button.

Selection Remove on any library removes it completely from Emby.  Removing a library has noting to do with the media in the folders that were attached to that library.

ramseyn

Well, except it doesn't. At least it appeared not to. On the Library Settings page, removing the library folder did not remove the library from the list of libraries that can be edited.

However when I went to the home page, the library had gone and going back to settings now, it has at last disappeared from the list of libraries so it had gone but was still displaying and allowing me to edit the library information until I came out of settings and went back in.

Not a bad thing as it means as long as you stay in library settings you can correct any error like removing a library by mistake.

So just another thing to remember but actually, not a problem :)

Putting all my video clips in a separate folder structure is not what I want as I would like to keep bonus clips on a BluRay, for example, in the same folder with the main DVD but that fills my movie display with clips.

But I have found and set up MusicVideo library and moved all my extras to folders in there as Emby seems to require and that does what I want. Good Job!

Only one thing remains - when I click on the MusicVideo library it opens in the videos display showing all the clips. I would like to set it to default to the Artist page but I don't think that's possible?

But it will work the way it is so many thanks for that.

Hi, @Happy2Play isn't saying to remove the mount point but the library itself.

Click the 3 dot menu on the Library itself and use this option
image.png.51464115894f9dc15e6e8c69ed6ea925.png

ramseyn

I know. That's what I did. The library remained in the list of libraries to manage. 

Eventually when I came out of settings to the home page and then back to settings, the library was no longer listed, as I explained above.

Spaceboy

neither library addition, nor removal are instant. its a bit of a pain but once you are expecting it you just leave it and it will complete the action

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Spaceboy said:

neither library addition, nor removal are instant. its a bit of a pain but once you are expecting it you just leave it and it will complete the action

Yes that's something that needs to be improved. Thanks.

• Like 1

Happy2Play
4 hours ago, Luke said:
6 hours ago, Spaceboy said:

Yes that's something that needs to be improved. Thanks.

But you can't just add or remove all library indexed content in a instance.  Each item and its corresponding metadata/images has to gotten or removed.  So depending on the size of the library the could take awhile if not days.

On 6/17/2021 at 3:10 PM, Happy2Play said:

But you can't just add or remove all library indexed content in a instance.  Each item and its corresponding metadata/images has to gotten or removed.  So depending on the size of the library the could take awhile if not days.

Right, it's supposed to kick that off, and then return to the library setup screen.

Thanks for the updates.

Let us know if you have any additional issues you may need help with.

• 11 months later...
seeing111111

I am having the same problem .. Emby server is running on windows 10 and audio files library is on a networked drive that happens to be on a Debian Linux server.   I specify the folder location in the Library setup as \\server\AudioBooks\folders\files.

The Embe server can see the folder/directory structure but says there are no files found, regardless of the file type (.mp3, .mp4, etc)

As an experiment I copied the entire directory structure and files to a local window location (H:\AudioBooks\folders\files).   I then setup a second Library using this location, but otherwise identical to the first library.

Result:  Embe server can see ALL the folders and files on the local drive, but cannot see the files on the remote (NAS) drive.

Hope this provides a hint to what is going wrong; I realize it is not a solution.

5 minutes ago, seeing111111 said:

I am having the same problem .. Emby server is running on windows 10 and audio files library is on a networked drive that happens to be on a Debian Linux server.   I specify the folder location in the Library setup as \\server\AudioBooks\folders\files.

The Embe server can see the folder/directory structure but says there are no files found, regardless of the file type (.mp3, .mp4, etc)

As an experiment I copied the entire directory structure and files to a local window location (H:\AudioBooks\folders\files).   I then setup a second Library using this location, but otherwise identical to the first library.

Result:  Embe server can see ALL the folders and files on the local drive, but cannot see the files on the remote (NAS) drive.

Hope this provides a hint to what is going wrong; I realize it is not a solution.

Hi, are you sure that's the right path? Using the \\ convention is UNC shares for Windows.

Try entering that path into Windows explorer. Does it work there? First figure out what path you need for Windows explorer, then you can use that same path with Emby Server.

seeing111111

yes, this path works in File Explorer.  The server is on an NFS server that, like windows, understands this syntax.   The files are all visible in file explorer (and can be played using that path with Media Player, VLC, etc)

Just now, seeing111111 said:

yes, this path works in File Explorer.  The server is on an NFS server that, like windows, understands this syntax.   The files are all visible in file explorer (and can be played using that path with Media Player, VLC, etc)

How many Emby libraries have you added, and what exact folder paths did you add to each one?

seeing111111

also, movie files stored on that same server using the same path structure (except pointing to a movies library) work fine in Emby

seeing111111

23 libraries total, some on windows drives, some on the NFS server.   Only the audio file on the NFS server are not visible to Emby

2 minutes ago, seeing111111 said:

23 libraries total, some on windows drives, some on the NFS server.   Only the audio file on the NFS server are not visible to Emby

A typical cause of this is overlapping library paths. So if you 've already used \\server\AudioBooks\folders\files in another library, or already used a parent folder, then that might cause this.

seeing111111

a path the works (files in windows server and all are visible to Emby):
H:\MusicFromBackup3

exact same files and file structure on NFS server, only audio files are not visible:
\\NFSserver\backup3\Music

seeing111111

A typical cause of this is overlapping library paths ..

Thanks, I will check if this is the case .. it is possible that there is some overlap with other non music libraries.

seeing111111

I DO have sever libraries that are children of \\NFSserver\backup3\ .. so I can check on moving the audio files.

It is still curious that only audio files are affected, movies and tv shows under this same parent all work fine.