wondering if I would benefit from upgrading my motherboard and CPU?

1971camaroguy

1971camaroguy
Hey Everyone,

I currently have an older supermicro X10SL7 server motherboard with a Intel Xeon E3-1220 v3 (SR154) Quad-Core 3.1GHz CPU. Running 32 gb of DDR3 ram.

This is in a fractal node 804 computer case. Running the newest windows 10 Pro. I am also using drivebender to pool the drives. I have a lifetime to emby premier and this is the only function the computer does is run 24/7 as a media server. I am playing back emby on a couple of Nvidia Shields.

I am contemplating upgrading my motherboard, CPU, and ram to something newer with maybe a 8th or 9th gen i5 or i7 processor and DDR4 ram. Or maybe even one of the newer AMD processors.

I wonder if I will see any kinds of gain in performance? Honestly it's working fine now, but I wonder if I am missing some benefit not going with a newer set-up.

The only thing I would have to work around is how to attach the 10 drives that are in my case now....most micro atx boards only have 4 or so on-board sata ports and this supermicro can do 12.

It's def not a deal breaker because I have a 8 bay hard drive enclosure and a couple 4 and 8 port sata 3.0 cards so I can make something work.

I feel like the current set-up I have is more than sufficient, just wanted some ideas or suggestions.

@

Guest asrequested

Take a look in the hardware section at the bottom. Lots of posts on this stuff. It all depends on what you want to achieve. 

Jdiesel

Nope you aren't missing out on any performance. Since you are using Shield TVs as clients you should be very little transcoding if any which would be he only area you could potentially need improvement.

You didn't mention it but I you don't already have your OS and emby database on an SSD do that. Lots of noticeable improvement by doing that.

Thirdly, if need more storage ports looks to an enterprise storage controller. I personally use IBM M1015 cards flashed to IT mode which supports 8 drives with the sas to data cables. You can find them cheap on eBay.

1971camaroguy

Thanks both of you, I have a 1 TB SSD running the OS / Emby server

I may go ahead and keep my current set-up for now, I didn't think I would see any major gains either