Is it possible to use shield TV to play the video directly without transcoding?

DingguoLee

DingguoLee

I'm currently using the emby theater on Windows10. It works well with my potplayer. I wonder if I get a new shield TV for my 4K TV, is it possible to let the tv box handle the video directly, rather than trancoded by the NAS sever. I'm hesitating whehter to get the Emby Premiere to install the TV app. Otherwise I can just use the kodi to handle it. 

Hi.  Our TV app has a two week free trial so you can try it out yourself.

Whether things direct play will depend on exactly what format and contents they have and the other equipment involved (TV, Receiver, etc.) but most formats are playable on the Shield.  It is definitely the most capable streaming box there is.

• Like 1

DingguoLee

Hi.  Our TV app has a two week free trial so you can try it out yourself.

Whether things direct play will depend on exactly what format and contents they have and the other equipment involved (TV, Receiver, etc.) but most formats are playable on the Shield.  It is definitely the most capable streaming box there is.

So, the TV app does support play the video directly by shield TV? How about apple TV?

It depends on a number of different factors, but yes, both apps have very robust video players that can handle a variety of formats.

nashi20002003

I think your question is about Shield handling all the work and not depend on the Windows server.  Yes....Just install both the Server App (download from the web site) and the Client app.  And the set up the server thru UI.  The Shield will handle all...If transcoding is needed it will be done with ffmpeg on the Shield.  No need the server and no extra traffic thru through your LAN.  One box for all.  I just discovered the Shield Server App.  Was not aware Emby released one.  Today I did set it up....and boy....very impressed....I was exepecting my m3u8 HLS stream to fail....but no...they played as good as on Windows....now I will buy the lifetime pass for Premier...

The only missing piece here is the Live Channels Integration.  It would be nice.  But Kudos to the team for the Shield Server App.