Emby Closes Immediately After Sign-In on Roku

SilentDis
Go to solution Solved by speechles,

SilentDis

I have a Roku Express (3900X) on my local network. All other Roku channels work, but Emby.

Upon signing in (I see the sign-in in the logs on the Emby server), the client just instantly closes on the Roku, returning to the Roku Home screen.

Troubleshooting tried:

Delete the Emby Channel

Reboot the Roku

Re-install the Emby Channel

As soon as it signs in, same thing, booted to Roku Home screen.

I am able to sign on with the same account using a browser.

I'm unsure how to pull logs from the Roku to help me solve this issue, or if there's some sort of setting/cache I can clear for the user account on the server.

EDIT: Server Debian Jessie, fully up-to-date, Emby server 4.3.0.19

Edited by SilentDis

SilentDis

Hi, what version of the Roku app?

Emby Roku App Version: V3.0 Build 191, latest available from the Roku app ecosystem.

This is not supposed to happen. If it kicks you back to the Roku homescreen that is a crash of the application. The brightscript interpreter main task fails and the entire app falls back to the Roku homescreen.

How are you trying to log into the app? Are there steps you can give us precisely to reproduce. Act like we are blind and you have to describe a lot to us to get us to follow. We will be able to solve this but we need to reproduce it.

We can also use your server if you feel up to it. Invite either Shawn/myself (speechles) or Eric / @@ebr (ebr) to your server. Let us know in PM how to connect to your server and what we need to do. We will gladly solve the problem this way as well and this may be faster remediation since your server already exhibits the issue. For us to reproduce we may even have to replicate the OS so sometimes being invited to the users server is the best way to fight the bugs.

Will await your reply. Thanks. :)

Edited by speechles

SilentDis

This is not supposed to happen. If it kicks you back to the Roku homescreen that is a crash of the application. The brightscript interpreter main task fails and the entire app falls back to the Roku homescreen.

How are you trying to log into the app? Are there steps you can give us precisely to reproduce. Act like we are blind and you have to describe a lot to us to get us to follow. We will be able to solve this but we need to reproduce it.

We can also use your server if you feel up to it. Invite either Shawn/myself (speechles) or Eric / @@ebr (ebr) to your server. Let us know in PM how to connect to your server and what we need to do. We will gladly solve the problem this way as well and this may be faster remediation since your server already exhibits the issue. For us to reproduce we may even have to replicate the OS so sometimes being invited to the users server is the best way to fight the bugs.

Will await your reply. Thanks. :)

Step by step:

Assuming you just installed the Emby app by searching for it on the Roku store.

Open Emby.

Select server (it's on the local network, and does find it fine).

Select Login Manually.

Enter Username.

Enter password.

Crash out to Roku home.

Subsequent attempts to just open the app, crash out to Roku Home instantly (because it has the saved user/pass).

My assumption is there's something bugged on the user profile, and given that the user isn't exactly tech savvy, I'm a bit hesitant to wipe it and restart, as they'd get very confused that their watch history poofed, but I'm willing to do so if that's what it takes.

When I get off work today, I can head down and try it with a new user and/or another existing user to see what happens. Just didn't have time last night, and I'm at work right now :)

Go to the DEVICES tab on your Emby server dashboard. Find all devices labeled ROKU and delete them. This is OK they will rebuild with new authentication tokens as users of those Roku devices log back in. That is just a list of all devices that have connected to your server and how the server should recognize them. But maybe that is causing the problem. When you get off work we can troubleshoot more.

Just post in this thread and either luke, ebr, or myself will start to dig in. This is something we need to catch with an exception. It should not be crashing even if your things are corrupt or broken. The app should gracefully act accordingly. It should let you fix it or let you otherwise correct things. Or at the very least throw up a proper error message to let you know. It should not just go "poof" and crash. That is not our intent. We are eager to solve this.

Edited by speechles

SilentDis

Go the DEVICES tab on your Emby server dashboard. Find all devices labeled ROKU and delete them. This is OK they will rebuild with new authentication tokens. But maybe that is causing the problem. When you get off work we can troubleshoot more.

Just post in this thread and either luke, ebr, or myself will start to dig in. This is something we need to catch with an exception. It should not be crashing even if your things are corrupt or broken. The app should gracefully act accordingly. It should let you fix it or let you otherwise correct things. Or at the very least throw up a proper error message to let you know. It should not just go "poof" and crash. That is not our intent. We are eager to solve this.

I did removing the specific Roku device they're using from the Devices list. I apologize I did not list this in my troubleshooting, stupid oversight on my part.

I am, again, hesitant to hose *all* the Rokus, as most are working just fine; I have another local Roku that works fine (different model/account), and a remote Roku (same model as the working one I believe, different account) that has exhibited zero issue.

I'm at work right now, and get off at 4:30 PM Central. Provided they're available, I should be able to dig into this and focus on it around 5:00 PM Central.

SilentDis

I feel horrifically stupid, and am laughing at myself over this; I also feel horrible about wasting your time on a wild goose hunt. There is, possibly something the Emby team can do, but it'll very much be low-priority.

I ran down to my neighbors after work, and just stole their Roku. Brought it up here, and hooked it up to my vid cap card. Figured I'd get some first-hand footage of what's going on...

The damn thing worked flawlessly, with their account.

I hooked it up in-place of my (working) Roku. It, again, worked flawlessly.

I went down, rehooked it up for them and... it crashed out.

That's when I gave the TV a bit of a closer look. They've got an ancient TV, and it has a 720p panel on it... The Roku recognized it as 1080i. So, it has some sort of 1080i tuner which scales down to 720p... what a horrid thing.

Setting the Roku to 720p got it working again. Basically, the Emby app has a spasm on old 1080i TVs, or 720p TVs with 1080i scaler garbage in them. The fix is just to specify the Roku use 720p. While it would be nice if the Emby app recognized that... it's honestly fine if it doesn't to my mind; instead just something in the wiki about it would probably suffice that the Emby Roku app does *not* play nice with 1080i resolution. :)

• Solution

I feel horrifically stupid, and am laughing at myself over this; I also feel horrible about wasting your time on a wild goose hunt. There is, possibly something the Emby team can do, but it'll very much be low-priority.

I ran down to my neighbors after work, and just stole their Roku. Brought it up here, and hooked it up to my vid cap card. Figured I'd get some first-hand footage of what's going on...

The damn thing worked flawlessly, with their account.

I hooked it up in-place of my (working) Roku. It, again, worked flawlessly.

I went down, rehooked it up for them and... it crashed out.

That's when I gave the TV a bit of a closer look. They've got an ancient TV, and it has a 720p panel on it... The Roku recognized it as 1080i. So, it has some sort of 1080i tuner which scales down to 720p... what a horrid thing.

Setting the Roku to 720p got it working again. Basically, the Emby app has a spasm on old 1080i TVs, or 720p TVs with 1080i scaler garbage in them. The fix is just to specify the Roku use 720p. While it would be nice if the Emby app recognized that... it's honestly fine if it doesn't to my mind; instead just something in the wiki about it would probably suffice that the Emby Roku app does *not* play nice with 1080i resolution. :)

THANK YOU!!!1!1!one!shift

Roku updated their documentation and added new video mode possibilities. We just now adapted our code to account for this. You will not need to do anything it will just work now. It was a defect in our app. Apologies and thanks again for helping us make our things better. We need people to find bugs, cracks, holes, issues and let us know. We can then fix them (sometimes very, very quickly). Thanks again. :)

Reference: Fix #652: [Capabilities] [HotFix] *Crash fix* Adjust capabilties for VideoMode change in DeviceInfo

This fix will make our next Beta.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1