EmbyKiwi

Pixelation and Glitching in Recorded TV using Emby DVR

Luke

No eta but it is getting closer.

Luke
On 9/22/2020 at 7:18 AM, bobdob said:

4.3.1.0 worked perfectly.

Updated to 4.5.0.50 no glitching during recording so far.

Thanks for the feedback !

EmbyKiwi
7 minutes ago, Luke said:

No eta but it is getting closer.

Thanks Luke. Looking forward to it! 🙂

• Like 1

dougward

I am using 4.5.2.0 but I have switched to Ubuntu as my Emby server.  I have not noticed the pixelation problems with limited testing, however I have mainly been using Channels DVR.  I am currently trying Channels DVR as a tuner with Hulu Live as the source for Emby and it seems to work pretty well, though I haven't incorporated all of the channels from Hulu.  Here's the thread https://community.getchannels.com/t/use-channels-dvr-as-a-tuner-for-emby/22486  I like the interface of Emby better, but I just want something to work.  If Emby can incorporate the commercial skipping as Channels does, add TV Everywhere Integration,  and dramatically cut down on the time to tune to a channel ( when tuning to a channel in Emby it can take 5-10 seconds of 'circling' before tuning to the channel) I will probably switch back.

EmbyKiwi
6 hours ago, dougward said:

I am using 4.5.2.0 but I have switched to Ubuntu as my Emby server.  I have not noticed the pixelation problems with limited testing, however I have mainly been using Channels DVR.  I am currently trying Channels DVR as a tuner with Hulu Live as the source for Emby and it seems to work pretty well, though I haven't incorporated all of the channels from Hulu.  Here's the thread https://community.getchannels.com/t/use-channels-dvr-as-a-tuner-for-emby/22486  I like the interface of Emby better, but I just want something to work.  If Emby can incorporate the commercial skipping as Channels does, add TV Everywhere Integration,  and dramatically cut down on the time to tune to a channel ( when tuning to a channel in Emby it can take 5-10 seconds of 'circling' before tuning to the channel) I will probably switch back.

Thanks @dougward. That is certainly an interesting approach to the problem! 🙂

Seems as though much of the thread is about getting an accurate  EPG. We are lucky here in NZ that we only have one time zone and there is a pretty good XML EPG provided by the Open Source community. It's what I use in Emby itself and it works great. 

My current solution is still to just wait till the recording has finished before watching it and then the Emby native DVR works fine.  If I have something I need to watch that is more time critical, I just flick back to Mediaportal and watch it on there. Just as reliable as Channels DVR and no monthly fee! 🙂 

cayars

I don't get the appeal of Channels DVR except for those in the USA who want to use Locast and TVEverywhere functionality.

EmbyKiwi
6 minutes ago, cayars said:

I don't get the appeal of Channels DVR except for those in the USA who want to use Locast and TVEverywhere functionality.

It seems to be one of the few DVRs for free-to-air TV with clients for Android TV etc that reliably copes with watching recordings while they are recording and skipping ads  till you catch up to live. Emby DVR does this for some users and not for others. The fact that Channels DVR doesn't provide a EPG for little places like NZ does reduce it's appeal outside the USA. 🙂

It certainly didn't have anywhere near the features or interface for other media that Emby has.

I've used Mediaportal for recording TV for over a decade and this also works perfectly... except ... it only has a Windows client so less WAF with the remote and switching between TV/Netflix/Movies etc. 

dougward

Fortunately (or not) I live in the USA so I can get an EPG.  Using TV everywhere allows me to save on the number of concurrent streams from Hulu offsetting the cost of Channels.  As I mentioned in a earlier post, I have an HD Homerun so I get the OTA channels and Hulu Live in one guide.  One guide also adds a lot of usability convenience for others in my house.  Although it doesn't mean as much now since my kids are older, having the recordings stored on a local device can also be useful.  I agree, I like the Emby interface better.  I've already paid the lifetime for Emby so I would like to eliminate Channels if possible, but we've gotten used to the ad skipping and EPG integration of OTA channels and Hulu and a functional DVR to watch an active recording is imperative.