Connecting to server with PS4 thru tv.emby.media

Shiroyama

Shiroyama

Hello,

I have a question about PS4 and Emby. The official instructions say that you have to go to tv.emby.media in order to connect to your local server. Why can't I use the same internal IP address straight into the address box in the PS4 to connect as I do with a regular browser on a computer? What is the purpose of going thru tv.emby.media? Licence check? I was in the impression that you can use an Emby server without Internet connection purely on LAN if chosen.

Why can't I use the same internal IP address straight into the address box in the PS4 to connect as I do with a regular browser on a computer? What is the purpose of going thru tv.emby.media?

Hi, the built-in web app does not have a user interface designed for TV devices and remote control navigation. Our Emby Theater app has that.

Shiroyama

So it is not possible to use purely on LAN Emby with PS4?

If I have a local server and use my server only on LAN with internal IP address when using with tv.emby.media, what is communicated to tv.emby.media? Does all local information stay local?

Shiroyama

Nothing. Connections are purely from ps4 to server.

How is that implemented/done so that local traffic stays local?

Edited by Shiroyama

The requests are initiated directly in the PS4 browser and sent to your local Emby Server. The only exceptions are the Emby Connect login process, if you use that feature, and the Premiere check prior to playback.

• Like 1

Shiroyama

The requests are initiated directly in the PS4 browser and sent to your local Emby Server. The only exceptions are the Emby Connect login process, if you use that feature, and the Premiere check prior to playback.

Ok, but what is the underlying solution/technology/implementation/web tech thingy that is working there? I know it uses JavaSctript as disabling it breaks the web app.

And the premiere check is done every time when playback starts or only once? Is that also releated to the serverID that is generated during server configuration or what is the serverID generated for?

Ok, but what is the underlying solution/technology/implementation/web tech thingy that is working there? I know it uses JavaSctript as disabling it breaks the web app.

It's all javascript and html.

And the premiere check is done every time when playback starts or only once?

Once every 24 hours prior to playback.

You can connect to multiple servers and switch between them, so the app uses a server id for each one.