• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 PanterA_CFH_420 OFFLINE  

PanterA_CFH_420

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Local time: 11:39 PM

Posted 22 October 2019 - 06:42 PM

I tried making a new Library because it wasn't letting me add movies anymore. It appeared as if it just copied my other library so I deleted the original now I can't get emby to recognize movies.

The path is D:\

I have a bunch of folders in there for different movies or collections, (all marvel movies in one folder DC movies in another). If I set the path to D:\ (folder) it shows up. For Example D:\ A Nightmare on Elm Street is the first one in the list. If I set the path to that then all the nightmare on elm street movies show up.

Now I tried movies all the folders to a new folder like this D:\ New folder and it just became a mess in emby. It became and endless cycle of folders that would appear to be random. If I click on one it would bring me to another and another after that and another after that, none of which are related.

#2 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 16076 posts
  • Local time: 07:39 PM
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 22 October 2019 - 07:13 PM

Don't quite understand, but it sounds like you have your media in a nested folder format.  What is your library content type?  Can you go over folder structure.

From a drive letter library folder standpoint, there can be system/hidden files/folders that cause Emby to not be able to read the media on the drive.

#3 Deathsquirrel OFFLINE  

Deathsquirrel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2005 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 07:24 PM

Two suggestions.  First, don't use windows drive letters for your libraries.  Share the folder and point the folder at the share.  Second, I recommend against a nested structure like that for movies.  The best supported structure for movies is each movie in its own folder such as:

\\SERVER\SHARE\Conan the Barbarian (1984)\Conan the Barbarian (1984).mkv

\\SERVER\SHARE\Conan the Barbarian (2011)\Conan the Barbarian (2011).mkv

#4 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 139858 posts
  • Local time: 10:39 PM

Posted 23 October 2019 - 03:07 AM

And also, how many Emby libraries have you created? What other libraries have you setup?

#5 PanterA_CFH_420 OFFLINE  

PanterA_CFH_420

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 01:56 PM

I have 2 drives set up. B:\ Music Videos. B:\ TV and D:\

B:\ Music Videos has a Live Concert I put there as a test and just left it and B:\TV has all my shows.

D:\ is a drive dedicated to movies so all the folders are in there. Some are individual movies some I put together for easier navigation of the drive. (All the Nightmare on Elm Street movies are in one folder called A Nightmare on Elm Street or all the Bond movies in a folder called 007 All the Godzilla Movies in a folder called Godzilla and so on)

This was all working perfectly fine until one day I couldn't add any more movies to the library. If I put them onto the drive D:\ they do not show up. 

I was told to try and make a new library with one movie so I did.

I tried a movie from a different drive and it worked like this A:\downloads\turbo kid. Showed up fine, So I tried to make a new library from my old one like this D:\ and called it Movies 1. Looking through it didn't add any of the new movies it just copied the first library so I deleted them both and now they wont show up at all. 

Now I tried to make a new folder like this D:\movies and put the entire drive into the movies folder and it didn't work. But if I only put one in it works. D:\ A Nightmare on Elm Street and all the movies show up. I tried a couple of the bigger folders together too and it worked. I have folders for Marvel, Marvel Animated and 007 in there and they all show up. I don't understand...

I've started to separate the movies into individual folders but its taking a really long time and I don't understand how it will help

#6 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 16076 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 02:02 PM

I have 2 drives set up. B:\ Music Videos. B:\ TV and D:\

B:\ Music Videos has a Live Concert I put there as a test and just left it and B:\TV has all my shows.

D:\ is a drive dedicated to movies so all the folders are in there. Some are individual movies some I put together for easier navigation of the drive. (All the Nightmare on Elm Street movies are in one folder called A Nightmare on Elm Street or all the Bond movies in a folder called 007 All the Godzilla Movies in a folder called Godzilla and so on)

This was all working perfectly fine until one day I couldn't add any more movies to the library. If I put them onto the drive D:\ they do not show up. 

I was told to try and make a new library with one movie so I did.

I tried a movie from a different drive and it worked like this A:\downloads\turbo kid. Showed up fine, So I tried to make a new library from my old one like this D:\ and called it Movies 1. Looking through it didn't add any of the new movies it just copied the first library so I deleted them both and now they wont show up at all. 

Now I tried to make a new folder like this D:\movies and put the entire drive into the movies folder and it didn't work. But if I only put one in it works. D:\ A Nightmare on Elm Street and all the movies show up. I tried a couple of the bigger folders together too and it worked. I have folders for Marvel, Marvel Animated and 007 in there and they all show up. I don't understand...

I've started to separate the movies into individual folders but its taking a really long time and I don't understand how it will help

Oops miss read that, D:\Movies would be the preferred library folder not D:\ as the root of the drive can contain system/hidden files/folders that can cause Emby to not read any media.

Do you have multiple libraries pointing D: in any way?  Can you provide a screenshot of Dashboard-Libraries

Also a server log after Scan All libraries.

Edited by Happy2Play, 23 October 2019 - 02:10 PM.

#7 PanterA_CFH_420 OFFLINE  

PanterA_CFH_420

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 02:05 PM

So I should continue to separate the folders into individual movies and put them all into a movies folder on D:\??

#8 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 16076 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 02:14 PM

So I should continue to separate the folders into individual movies and put them all into a movies folder on D:\??

Best practice is never use the root of any drive, do to hidden system files/folders.  D:\Movies would be ideal but any subfolder on the parent drive would work.

Can you post a server log showing a library scan.

#9 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 139858 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 01:10 PM

@PanterA_CFH_420

Has this helped? Can you please attach the emby server log as requested? Thanks !

#10 PanterA_CFH_420 OFFLINE  

PanterA_CFH_420

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 01:47 PM

Yeah I got it working thank you. I went through and reorganized everything like you guys suggested. 

I also realized you can have multiple versions of the same movie in a folder like this.  D:\Movies\Army of Darkness (1992).mp4\Army of Darkness (1992) - Director's Cut.mkv 

But for some reason I cant get it to work with Terminator 2. I have it like this, D:\Movies\Terminator 2 Judgment Day (1991) - 4k.mkv\Terminator 2 Judgement Day (1991) - Director's Cut.mp4 and it keeps showing up as two copies instead of one like Army of Darkness. I don't think its because they're different resolutions because I have the same thing done with The Abyss. D:\Movies\The Abyss (1989).mkv\The Abyss (1989) - Special Edition.mkv and they are also different resolutions but it works fine. Any ideas? 
Also how do I attach a server log? 

#11 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 16076 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 02:05 PM

Not sure any of the ones above should technically work.

Multi-version movies
Multiple versions of the same content can be stored in a single movie folder.
/Movies
  /300 (2006)
    /300 (2006) - 1080p.mkv
    /300 (2006) - 4K.mkv
    /300 (2006) - 720p.mp4
    /300 (2006) - extended edition.mp4
    /300 (2006) - directors cut.mp4
    /300 (2006) - 3D.hsbs.mp4
Each version must begin with the folder name, followed by " - ".

Edited by Happy2Play, 24 October 2019 - 02:06 PM.

#12 PanterA_CFH_420 OFFLINE  

PanterA_CFH_420

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 03:41 PM

Not sure any of the ones above should technically work.

Yeah this is what I followed. I dunno I guess T2 is just being stubborn lol 

#13 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 16076 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 03:46 PM

Yeah this is what I followed. I dunno I guess T2 is just being stubborn lol 

Can you show us a screenshot of the structure and content for T2 folder.

#14 PanterA_CFH_420 OFFLINE  

PanterA_CFH_420

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 04:11 PM

I figured it out. I misspelled Judgment Day on the folder containing the movies. I fixed it and now its working as it should. 

It was D:\movies\Terminator Judgement Day (1991)\Terminator 2 Judgment Day (1991).mkv\Terminator 2 Judgement Day (1991) - Director's Cut.mp4

I changed it to D:\movies\Terminator Judgment Day (1991)\Terminator 2 Judgment Day (1991).mkv\Terminator 2 Judgement Day (1991) - Director's Cut.mp4

5db20552735ee_Untitled.png

Edited by PanterA_CFH_420, 24 October 2019 - 04:13 PM.

#15 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 16076 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 04:19 PM

I figured it out. I misspelled Judgment Day on the folder containing the movies. I fixed it and now its working as it should. 

It was D:\movies\Terminator Judgement Day (1991)\Terminator 2 Judgment Day (1991).mkv\Terminator 2 Judgement Day (1991) - Director's Cut.mp4

I changed it to D:\movies\Terminator Judgment Day (1991)\Terminator 2 Judgment Day (1991).mkv\Terminator 2 Judgement Day (1991) - Director's Cut.mp4

5db20552735ee_Untitled.png

I will have to test again but "Each version must begin with the folder name, followed by " - "", your regular version needs to be given a version quality/name.

Also what is up with the 4k image as that naming scheme is different also but don't see that media?

Edited by Happy2Play, 24 October 2019 - 04:20 PM.

#16 PanterA_CFH_420 OFFLINE  

PanterA_CFH_420

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 04:27 PM

I will have to test again but "Each version must begin with the folder name, followed by " - "", your regular version needs to be given a version quality/name.

Also what is up with the 4k image as that naming scheme is different also but don't see that media?

I was changing the names to try to get it to work I had 4k on one and Director's cut on the other. I must have forgot to change the picture too (it's still working)

I just changed it again so one is Terminator 2 Judgment Day (1991) - Theatrical and one is Terminator 2 Judgement Day (1991) - Director's Cut so that's the way it shows up in the tab now.

#17 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 139858 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 02:47 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users