Emby not importing

PanterA_CFH_420

PanterA_CFH_420

I tried making a new Library because it wasn't letting me add movies anymore. It appeared as if it just copied my other library so I deleted the original now I can't get emby to recognize movies.

The path is D:\

I have a bunch of folders in there for different movies or collections, (all marvel movies in one folder DC movies in another). If I set the path to D:\ (folder) it shows up. For Example D:\ A Nightmare on Elm Street is the first one in the list. If I set the path to that then all the nightmare on elm street movies show up.

Now I tried movies all the folders to a new folder like this D:\ New folder and it just became a mess in emby. It became and endless cycle of folders that would appear to be random. If I click on one it would bring me to another and another after that and another after that, none of which are related.

Happy2Play

Don't quite understand, but it sounds like you have your media in a nested folder format.  What is your library content type?  Can you go over folder structure.

From a drive letter library folder standpoint, there can be system/hidden files/folders that cause Emby to not be able to read the media on the drive.

Deathsquirrel

Two suggestions.  First, don't use windows drive letters for your libraries.  Share the folder and point the folder at the share.  Second, I recommend against a nested structure like that for movies.  The best supported structure for movies is each movie in its own folder such as:

\\SERVER\SHARE\Conan the Barbarian (1984)\Conan the Barbarian (1984).mkv

\\SERVER\SHARE\Conan the Barbarian (2011)\Conan the Barbarian (2011).mkv

PanterA_CFH_420

I have 2 drives set up. B:\ Music Videos. B:\ TV and D:\

B:\ Music Videos has a Live Concert I put there as a test and just left it and B:\TV has all my shows.

D:\ is a drive dedicated to movies so all the folders are in there. Some are individual movies some I put together for easier navigation of the drive. (All the Nightmare on Elm Street movies are in one folder called A Nightmare on Elm Street or all the Bond movies in a folder called 007 All the Godzilla Movies in a folder called Godzilla and so on)

This was all working perfectly fine until one day I couldn't add any more movies to the library. If I put them onto the drive D:\ they do not show up. 

I was told to try and make a new library with one movie so I did.

I tried a movie from a different drive and it worked like this A:\downloads\turbo kid. Showed up fine, So I tried to make a new library from my old one like this D:\ and called it Movies 1. Looking through it didn't add any of the new movies it just copied the first library so I deleted them both and now they wont show up at all. 

Now I tried to make a new folder like this D:\movies and put the entire drive into the movies folder and it didn't work. But if I only put one in it works. D:\ A Nightmare on Elm Street and all the movies show up. I tried a couple of the bigger folders together too and it worked. I have folders for Marvel, Marvel Animated and 007 in there and they all show up. I don't understand...

I've started to separate the movies into individual folders but its taking a really long time and I don't understand how it will help

Happy2Play

I have 2 drives set up. B:\ Music Videos. B:\ TV and D:\

B:\ Music Videos has a Live Concert I put there as a test and just left it and B:\TV has all my shows.

D:\ is a drive dedicated to movies so all the folders are in there. Some are individual movies some I put together for easier navigation of the drive. (All the Nightmare on Elm Street movies are in one folder called A Nightmare on Elm Street or all the Bond movies in a folder called 007 All the Godzilla Movies in a folder called Godzilla and so on)

This was all working perfectly fine until one day I couldn't add any more movies to the library. If I put them onto the drive D:\ they do not show up. 

I was told to try and make a new library with one movie so I did.

I tried a movie from a different drive and it worked like this A:\downloads\turbo kid. Showed up fine, So I tried to make a new library from my old one like this D:\ and called it Movies 1. Looking through it didn't add any of the new movies it just copied the first library so I deleted them both and now they wont show up at all. 

Now I tried to make a new folder like this D:\movies and put the entire drive into the movies folder and it didn't work. But if I only put one in it works. D:\ A Nightmare on Elm Street and all the movies show up. I tried a couple of the bigger folders together too and it worked. I have folders for Marvel, Marvel Animated and 007 in there and they all show up. I don't understand...

I've started to separate the movies into individual folders but its taking a really long time and I don't understand how it will help

Oops miss read that, D:\Movies would be the preferred library folder not D:\ as the root of the drive can contain system/hidden files/folders that can cause Emby to not read any media.

Do you have multiple libraries pointing D: in any way?  Can you provide a screenshot of Dashboard-Libraries

Also a server log after Scan All libraries.

Edited by Happy2Play

PanterA_CFH_420

So I should continue to separate the folders into individual movies and put them all into a movies folder on D:\??

Happy2Play

So I should continue to separate the folders into individual movies and put them all into a movies folder on D:\??

Best practice is never use the root of any drive, do to hidden system files/folders.  D:\Movies would be ideal but any subfolder on the parent drive would work.

Can you post a server log showing a library scan.

PanterA_CFH_420

Yeah I got it working thank you. I went through and reorganized everything like you guys suggested. 

I also realized you can have multiple versions of the same movie in a folder like this.  D:\Movies\Army of Darkness (1992).mp4\Army of Darkness (1992) - Director's Cut.mkv 

But for some reason I cant get it to work with Terminator 2. I have it like this, D:\Movies\Terminator 2 Judgment Day (1991) - 4k.mkv\Terminator 2 Judgement Day (1991) - Director's Cut.mp4 and it keeps showing up as two copies instead of one like Army of Darkness. I don't think its because they're different resolutions because I have the same thing done with The Abyss. D:\Movies\The Abyss (1989).mkv\The Abyss (1989) - Special Edition.mkv and they are also different resolutions but it works fine. Any ideas? 
Also how do I attach a server log? 

Happy2Play

Not sure any of the ones above should technically work.

Multi-version movies
Multiple versions of the same content can be stored in a single movie folder.
/Movies
  /300 (2006)
    /300 (2006) - 1080p.mkv
    /300 (2006) - 4K.mkv
    /300 (2006) - 720p.mp4
    /300 (2006) - extended edition.mp4
    /300 (2006) - directors cut.mp4
    /300 (2006) - 3D.hsbs.mp4
Each version must begin with the folder name, followed by " - ".

Edited by Happy2Play

PanterA_CFH_420

Not sure any of the ones above should technically work.

Yeah this is what I followed. I dunno I guess T2 is just being stubborn lol 

Happy2Play

Yeah this is what I followed. I dunno I guess T2 is just being stubborn lol 

Can you show us a screenshot of the structure and content for T2 folder.

PanterA_CFH_420

I figured it out. I misspelled Judgment Day on the folder containing the movies. I fixed it and now its working as it should. 

It was D:\movies\Terminator Judgement Day (1991)\Terminator 2 Judgment Day (1991).mkv\Terminator 2 Judgement Day (1991) - Director's Cut.mp4

I changed it to D:\movies\Terminator Judgment Day (1991)\Terminator 2 Judgment Day (1991).mkv\Terminator 2 Judgement Day (1991) - Director's Cut.mp4

5db20552735ee_Untitled.png

Edited by PanterA_CFH_420

Happy2Play

I figured it out. I misspelled Judgment Day on the folder containing the movies. I fixed it and now its working as it should. 

It was D:\movies\Terminator Judgement Day (1991)\Terminator 2 Judgment Day (1991).mkv\Terminator 2 Judgement Day (1991) - Director's Cut.mp4

I changed it to D:\movies\Terminator Judgment Day (1991)\Terminator 2 Judgment Day (1991).mkv\Terminator 2 Judgement Day (1991) - Director's Cut.mp4

5db20552735ee_Untitled.png

I will have to test again but "Each version must begin with the folder name, followed by " - "", your regular version needs to be given a version quality/name.

Also what is up with the 4k image as that naming scheme is different also but don't see that media?

Edited by Happy2Play

PanterA_CFH_420

I will have to test again but "Each version must begin with the folder name, followed by " - "", your regular version needs to be given a version quality/name.

Also what is up with the 4k image as that naming scheme is different also but don't see that media?

I was changing the names to try to get it to work I had 4k on one and Director's cut on the other. I must have forgot to change the picture too (it's still working)

I just changed it again so one is Terminator 2 Judgment Day (1991) - Theatrical and one is Terminator 2 Judgement Day (1991) - Director's Cut so that's the way it shows up in the tab now.