5 or 6 bay recommendations?

Bigmack3000

Bigmack3000

Hey, looking through ebay for a 5 or 6 bay synology drive, there seems to be quite a few different model numbers.  Any ones to specifically look for or avoid?

Happy2Play

I would guess use case would make a difference.  Will it just be media storage or server and storage?

Bigmack3000

I'm brand new to this, but storage for my dvds/blu rays, and streaming inside my house. Mayyyybe I try it for streaming in other houses, but I think that'd be down the line.

FrostByte

Are you planning on putting Emby server on the NAS, or is it just holding your media? 

If you want to run Emby server on your NAS I recommend something in the plus series like the DS1019+ or DS1618+ because both have Intel processors and would stay away from anything with a Realtek processor.  An Intel processor will be better for transcoding which can be very hard on a NAS.  Even the DS1019+ will struggle with transcoding 4K to 4K and has the same Celeron processor as the DS918+ which has been known in here to be slow at times when transcoding 4K to 4K.  The DS1618+ with an Atom processor should do better.

Both the DS1019+ and DS1618+ will take the 5-bay expansion cabinet down the road too if needed.  I never thought I would fill up my 4-bay model with 8TB drives, but here I am getting messages about my total space being taken up within a year.

https://www.synology.com/en-uk/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/Compatibility_Peripherals/What_kind_of_CPU_does_my_NAS_have

Edited by FrostByte

Bigmack3000

If 99% of its use will be streaming mkv files to my TV, would transcoding still be a common occurrence?  I don't have current plans to really stream to my phone.  Does Realtek handle 1080p fine? 

FrostByte

If you play 4K movies and they Direct Play to to whatever client you choose then you will be fine with any model.  I play 99% of my stuff on my Samsung TV using the Samsung app with a DS418play and it can Direct Play very high bitrate 4K movies as long as I convert any HD audio to Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital Plus ahead of time because Samsung TVs can't play those HD formats.  If I were to hook up a Shield to my TV then I could probably play those 4K movies without converting the audio first.  It really comes down to what client you're using and can it Direct Play your 4K.  Otherwise your server is doing a bunch of work on the fly and little NAS processors can't do that well.

Edited by FrostByte

FrostByte

Also, from what's been discussed in other threads is that you will want an Intel processor to use va-api.  So if you if you go with Realtek, you won't get any software assist with transcoding from the server.  It's all overhead on the processor

Edited by FrostByte

Bigmack3000

Ok, thanks for all of this.  It's helping a lot.

So DS918+, DS1515+, DS1815+, all would be good choices?

Also, I can probably guess the answer to this one, but I'll ask anyway.  Is there a true benefit to getting a HDD specifically made for NAS, over any good quality HDD drive?

FrostByte

I haven't seen too many people here with the 2015s (should be fine), but there are many users around with the DS918+

To compare processors in those

DS1515+/DS1518+

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/77981/intel-atom-processor-c2538-2m-cache-2-40-ghz.html

DS918+

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/95594/intel-celeron-processor-j3455-2m-cache-up-to-2-3-ghz.html

FrostByte

Is there any concern over one from 2015 failing sooner?

No, nothing wrong with those models that I'm aware of. If it's new and has a warranty then it may be a good deal

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

mrfragger

I play 99% of my stuff on my Samsung TV using the Samsung app with a DS418play and it can Direct Play very high bitrate 4K movies as long as I convert any HD audio to Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital Plus ahead of time because Samsung TVs can't play those HD formats. .

You mean convert it to AC3 5.1 from some random audio track like DTS? Or did you mean it can’t direct play AC3 5.1 directly? Just want clarification cuz I’m probably gonna do the Samsung TVs and try to skip the nvidia shield if at all possible. I want 100% direct playing at all times.

FrostByte

Samsung TVs haven't been able to play or passthrough DTS since 2017.  See the chart in the link below of the formats a 2019 can play

https://developer.samsung.com/tv/develop/specifications/media-specifications/2019-tv-video-specifications

This means if running a client app from the TV itself you will get no sound if trying to direct play DTS.  If your file doesn't have a supported audio format you can let the Emby Samsung app/server convert it on the fly, convert it yourself beforehand to something the TV can natively play (I usually convert HD audio to 1536k DD+ so it will Direct Play), or get another box like a Shield which supports DTS and plug it directly into your sound system/soundbar and passthrough the video to the TV

Edit: from the link above:

Important
The DTS Audio codec is not supported on 2019 TVs. For smooth playback, if a DTS Audio track is part of your manifest, make sure other audio tracks can be selected.
Edited by FrostByte

FrostByte

So if I picked up a nvidia shield I wouldn't have to convert my audio?

I'm confused.  Do you have a Samsung also?  I wasn't aware you were having transcode problems

Edited by FrostByte

FrostByte

The Shield can passthrough just about any audio format (including TrueHD Atmos), but it has to be connected to a soundbar/sound system which supports all your media also else it will transcode.  A Roko might be another good device to look into, but I'm not real familiar with them.  If you really want a Shield though I would wait until the new version comes out here like real soon.

Basically, if your hardware doesn't support it then your client will ask the server to transcode your movie to something it can read.

Jdiesel

That isn't true, the Shield TV will decode audio on the device if passthrough is not supported. The transcoding should not be required for unsupported audio.

• Like 1

FrostByte

That isn't true, the Shield TV will decode audio on the device if passthrough is not supported. The transcoding should not be required for unsupported audio.

So the Shield converts the audio itself and not the server if the audio is not supported?  Good to know.  I think my XB1X does the same.

In my case if I get one here on the 28th I would still hook the Shield directly to the soundbar that supports my audio instead of the TV so no conversion has to be done.

Edited by FrostByte

Bigmack3000

I'm confused.  Do you have a Samsung also?  I wasn't aware you were having transcode problems

Oh, sorry if I was unclear.  I'm getting a list of everything I'll need so that my system is setup properly from the beginning.  I do have a samsung TV though.

• Like 1

FrostByte

Add a soundbar which does TrueHD Atmos and DTSX to your list then if you don't already have one :)  

This hookup could work very well for you

Synology for media storage --> router/extender --> Shield as Emby client --> Soundbar or other system which can play Atmos/DTSX and passthrough 4K HDR --> 4K Samsung TV 

You could even run Emby server on the Shield, though that would require having another device on to manage Emby server

Bigmack3000

Unfortunately, I already have a samsung sound bar with the TV.  But if the Shield can transcode the audio for me, would you still recommend converting it?

FrostByte

I would hold off converting anything at this point.  Get it hooked up the way you want and see how it works.

What model TV do you have? 

Can your soundbar passthrough 4K HDR?

Do you know what audio formats your soundbar supports?

I would be more concerned about video.  If the soundbar can't passthrough 4K HDR then you may be best plugging the Shield into the TV itself and dealing with more audio conversion.

Edited by FrostByte

Bigmack3000

There are two main TVs it will stream to.  One is an LG 4K with a Sonos sound bar.  That will be in a separate room from the NAS.  The other is a non 4k Samsung TV and sound bar in the same room as the NAS.  This is where the Shield would go to.  

Do you have any recommendations on a cheap extender?

FrostByte

There are two main TVs it will stream to.  One is an LG 4K with a Sonos sound bar.  That will be in a separate room from the NAS.  The other is a non 4k Samsung TV and sound bar in the same room as the NAS.  This is where the Shield would go to.  

Do you have any recommendations on a cheap extender?

I've used tplink, linksys and now Netgear.  Not really had an issue with any of them except an occasional bad firmware

• Like 1