Comprehensive Conversions overwiev?

lmpmathis
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

lmpmathis

Hi all

I am a longtime Plex user and trying to switch to Emby for the future. At the moment both solutions coexist. In my short emby experience I am very pleased, as Emby handles transcodes much better. The only disadvantage I have seen thus far is the fact that Emby seems to be a bit weaker in matching media. However, I am very pleased with the overall emby experience, upgraded to premiere and I am trying to get stuff automated. 

Now to the actual question: I would like to have all x265 4K TrueHD versions also available as 1080p x264 AC3 mkvs. I discovered that I can let emby convert specific files and select the quality etc. However, is there a way to automate it? I.e. tell emby in case you see a 4K file convert it to 1080p x264 AC3.mkv with 20mpbs preferably including all available audiolanguages and copying all subtitles and store it next to the original file?

Thanks to gdrive storage space is a non issue. 

Alternatively do you have any idea what automation tool could do such thing? 

Greetings from Switzerland.

Edited by lmpmathis

mastrmind11

ffmpeg can do this pretty easily.   Here's a google search result.  Assuming your media is organized in appropriate folder structure:

https://www.google.com/search?q=recursively+convert+files+ffmpeg&rlz=1CAOTWH_enUS860&oq=recursively+convert+files+ffmpeg&aqs=chrome..69i57j33.7528j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

It appears Emby can do this at the library top level too, which should pretty much do what you're looking for.  Click the 3 dot at the library level and click Convert.

Edited by mastrmind11

lmpmathis

Thanks, but if I do it at the library level can I limit it to x265 files? 

Have to read up on ffmpeg as it seems a powerful tool, however there again I need some selectors to let it do a batch convert. 

• Solution

Thanks, but if I do it at the library level can I limit it to x265 files? 

Have to read up on ffmpeg as it seems a powerful tool, however there again I need some selectors to let it do a batch convert. 

The way the Emby converter works is that you select your output settings, and it will not convert files that already meet those requirements.

• Like 1