Very Choppy Playback on WAN

Natilus13

Natilus13

Hello all,

Anyone else run into this and have any suggestions?

Tonight, I am suddenly having issues where playback (on WAN) is unwatchable. The same files that played fine yesterday, are now unwatchable as they are freezing so often. I have tried playing through the iOS app, casting to a Chromecast, and playing through the web app using Chrome. I've also tried rebooting the server (both the app and the Mac Pro), and changing the encoder for transcoding from "Yes", to "Advanced" using the VideoToolbox H.264 convertor, and then back to "Yes". None of this made any difference.

I also know that internet speed is not an issue. Taking a look at my Mac there are spikes in CPU usage, but the CPUs are still far from being maxed out.

I am going to try playing with the cloud sync to see if this may help at all, but my library is much to big for this to be a real solution.

@@Luke I am going to send you my FFMPEG and server logs in a PM. Hoping maybe something will stand out that you can suggest I change.

Thanks,
N

Have you tried lowering the chromecast quality setting in the casting app? It might just be too high.

Natilus13

I have treid different settings, and that one night it made no difference whatsoever. The last couple days, it has been back to working fine though.

Not sure what the issue was, but things appear to be working again. I am happy that things are working, but I really wish I knew what the issue was the other night ;-)

Happy2Play

Usually a network issue, I have seen nights where my ISP or my area would have issues and throttled my connection.