Photo

No sound(headphone) remote jack

roku ultra headphone sound live tv media

Best Answer speedingcheetah , 15 October 2019 - 12:19 PM

Trying the beta....same issues.

However, think i figured out my issue.

I have transcoding disabled for this user. As i only want it to direct play and not stress out the server cpu. Transcode should not be needed at all.

The setting "Allow audio playback that requires transcoding" in the servers CP, with that disabled, these audio issue occur, enable it, it does not.

I notice the source audio, no matter the codec, is always showed as AAC Stereo when i enable this and playback mode is Remux instead of Direct.

Also setting the Roku system Audio settings to Stereo, also is infact locking the whole device to only use AAC Stereo globally.

I can use the Roku remote headphone jack fine with other apps, even when system is set to Auto(Dobly Digital) or even manuly selecting D.D or D.D PLus.

So i know the Roku supports AC3 etc. as it works every where else.

But for some reason, the same AC3 direct stream multi channel audio track is not being sent to, or decoded by the Roku remote.

Far as I can tell, not being able to use the remote headphone jack, is the only issue of disabling any transcoding in Emby.

Could you provide a detailed insight (or link to one) on what the Emby sever stream modes are and how they work, direct, Remux, transcode, HLS etc, when it comes to the adio and video track separately? 

A bit off topic, but, how mature/stable/ well optimized is the Emby experience on a Roku, as compared to the the other stream boxes out there, FireStick, Shield, Apple TV, etc?

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 5596 posts
  • Local time: 08:48 PM

Posted 16 October 2019 - 01:00 PM

What is "Convert Mutil-channel AAC" option in the Emby app on Roku,  do and how it affect transcodeing or not?

I have toggled that a few times, see no difference in anything.

The Roku player can downsample AAC 5.1 to AAC 2.0 on the device during direct play. This will decimate your audio from surround to stereo. Some users may find this unacceptable and would rather transcode AAC 5.1 into AC3 5.1 to keep surround. In this case you can convert multi-channel AAC when you need to with that option.

As it stands, even if i plug in the headphone jack BEFORE i even launch the Emby app, or when after launch, before playback, there is no sound in remote jack, this is when user is not allowed audio transcode and the signal is AC3 D.D. The TV can play it fine when u hot unplug.

When enable the user option in server, i can hot plug/unplug just fine and the audio is fine, uninterrupted in the switch.

With allow audio transcode, the Roku is always and only putting out AAC Stereo to the TV, even when not using the remote jack. Even when i chose under HDMI D.D., the audio mode option however, only has Auto(D.D) or Stereo. 

There is nothing wrong with the detection in the app. The problem is using AUTO on your Roku device for HDMI Audio. You may want to choose the exact codecs you want rather than letting it decide.

Also play an item then press the * button. This opens the options menu on the left side of the screen. On this menu will be VOLUME MODE and you need to make sure this is OFF. If it is anything but off this will report your Roku as only capable of supporting stereo.

Edited by speechles, 16 October 2019 - 01:02 PM.

• speedingcheetah likes this

#22 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 139868 posts
  • Local time: 11:48 PM

Posted 16 October 2019 - 01:04 PM

Yes make sure to read the help text underneath the options before touching those settings. Thanks.

#23 speedingcheetah OFFLINE  

speedingcheetah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 458 posts
  • Local time: 10:48 PM

Posted 16 October 2019 - 01:37 PM

The Roku player can downsample AAC 5.1 to AAC 2.0 on the device during direct play. This will decimate your audio from surround to stereo. Some users may find this unacceptable and would rather transcode AAC 5.1 into AC3 5.1 to keep surround. In this case you can convert multi-channel AAC when you need to with that option.

There is nothing wrong with the detection in the app. The problem is using AUTO on your Roku device for HDMI Audio. You may want to choose the exact codecs you want rather than letting it decide.

Also play an item then press the * button. This opens the options menu on the left side of the screen. On this menu will be VOLUME MODE and you need to make sure this is OFF. If it is anything but off this will report your Roku as only capable of supporting stereo.

On Roku,

Audio mode gives me only 2 options: Stereo, Auto(Dobly Digital)

HDMI: Auto Detect; PCM-Stereo; Dolby Digital; Dolby Digital Plus; Dolby Digital,DTS;  Dolby Digital Plus,DTS

I have tried all these settings and mixes of them, none of which affect the issue of Emby always doing AAC Stereo.

Is the TV/monitor model have anything to do with how this all works and how Emby streams things?

It is an 2015 model Vizio 1080p 43in tv. model D43-C1

It has the Dolby logos on the back of it.

However, the sound is being output via the RCA out Audio out jacks to a pair of 2.0 powered computer speakers.

The option on the tv audio settings for Surround sound is on.

#24 speedingcheetah OFFLINE  

speedingcheetah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 458 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 01:46 PM

Haza!

I did have the Roku Volume Leveling (or the  Night mode) enabled. 

Setting that to normal, the audio is direct streamed AC3 not remuxed/trans.

And, putting in headphones before playback, sound does work, unplugging then does switch back to tv sound.

Hot switch to headphone jack when direct stream, as u mentioned before, does not work...as expected.

I can enable the Volume leveling fine after the stream starts though...seems to work fine and Emby still says direct AC3.

But when u close channel, load another, it then always does AAC.

A tad sad, the night mode would have been useful for the late night things use watches...o well.

#25 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 5596 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 02:20 PM

I can enable the Volume leveling fine after the stream starts though...seems to work fine and Emby still says direct AC3.

But when u close channel, load another, it then always does AAC.

That is because it remembers the last state. This will be corrected when it adapts on-the-fly when it notices the audio capabilities change. This will also automagically stop then restart/resume the video player when required to stop/start audio transcoding. You will not have to do anything or should be required to do anything. We need to do all the behind-the-scenes a little better so you can have this working as you imagine. It will soon work that way.

Edited by speechles, 16 October 2019 - 02:21 PM.

• speedingcheetah likes this

#26 speedingcheetah OFFLINE  

speedingcheetah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 458 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 02:21 PM

Does the Beta app auto update on the Roku?

#27 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 5596 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 02:33 PM

Does the Beta app auto update on the Roku?

Yes it does. Every application on Roku will auto update.

#28 speedingcheetah OFFLINE  

speedingcheetah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 458 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 02:34 PM

Different issue made new thread.

Edited by speedingcheetah, 16 October 2019 - 03:08 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: roku ultra, headphone, sound, live tv, media

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users