slow performance with big libraries

mbo
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

I have a pretty big (2000+ items) movie library and i moved from a 2015 LG TV to a 2019 Model (65C97LA).

With the old one the app was more or less unuseable - but the overall performance was bad so i did not really care. But with the new TV everything (including emby) is smooth but my movie library with over 2000 items is _very_ slow.

It seems that you do lazy load the pictures but that the html items are already in place (just gussing) which seems to slow down the TV a lot. Would it be possible to improve the performance ? Splitting the libraries does not make much sense for me but propably you could insert pagination for 400 items or so like you do on the web "app" ? Or "just" enhance the performance with some coding magic? ;)

Thank you

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

rbjtech

I'm guessing you may have general network issues - re your other post on transcoding.  On my 65C8 I have zero performance issues and can scroll a 1500+ library very quickly.  If you have connected via Ethernet, then have you disabled wireless - as I found unless I did that, the TV kept bouncing between the two ?

I'm guessing you may have general network issues - re your other post on transcoding.  On my 65C8 I have zero performance issues and can scroll a 1500+ library very quickly.  If you have connected via Ethernet, then have you disabled wireless - as I found unless I did that, the TV kept bouncing between the two ?

The TV is connected using ethernet and i don't see the problem with smaller libraries with just some hundret items.

I have the same problem with three TVs: Two 65C9 and one 65C8. Two of them are pretty close to the emby server with a roundtrip time around 1ms and the third one (one of the 65C9 at my parents home) has a roundtrip time around 8ms. I cannot say that they behave differently/cannot feel any difference. All are connected with more than 100 MBit/s "downstream".

Edited by mbo

dontcryjustfly

All are connected with more than 100 MBit/s "downstream".

Probably not...all LG TVs (even the latest models) only have wired 100 Mbit/s Network Interface. Ironically, there is a chance to have even a faster wireless connection.

Edited by dontcryjustfly

I just checked it and you are right. But it should be more than enough to handle the traffic for menus?

I installed the Samsung Tizen app yesterday on a 2016 Samsung and the big library is pretty much unusable. It take around 5 seconds to scroll down one row.

rbjtech

Probably not...all LG TVs (even the latest models) only have wired 100 Mbit/s Network Interface. Ironically, there is a chance to have even a faster wireless connection.

I've tried both, wired 100Mbit is faster to browse than my Unifi wifi connecting at a much faster speed.  I think lower latency trumps bandwidth in this type of access but didn't dig too deep as 80-90Mbit/sec is more than enough at the moment, even 4K @ 30Hz.  4K @ 60Hz might be another story however ...

• 2 weeks later...
Romek123

have same issue with 3600 movies

but only in full library. than it need like 2 seconds when i click down until it goes to another row.

when i go over genre, tag filter, favorites or any other pre filter which makes the list smaller than it works fine and super fast

WebOS 4.7

Edited by Romek123

I have the same problem on all 5 of our LG Smart TV's They are all 2017+ and my library has recently grown to 6500 Movies 

Is there any acknowledgement of this issue?

Other than that, really happy :-)

Postspeicher

Hello 

I have a 
LG 65SJ8509 with Webos and exact the same problem. My main Library has 11000 Movies  and when I switch to this section Emby need a few minutes for loading.
After that long loading every klick has 2 seconds reponse times.... 

Smaller librarys (with around 1000 Movies)  have no Problem..  

One idea for bigger libraries : Maybe it could be possible to load only 500  Movies
and then you have to klick for  scroll to the next 500 ...

Webos in this TV is in all other apps very fast (in Plex no Problem),  and i like emby very much
but if possible this Problem needs please a solution ...

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

We are looking into improving this. Thanks for reporting.

Hi,

I am aware this is being looked into but with 4 LG TV's in the family all in lockdown this is causing quite a headache, is it worth buying 4 Amazon Fire Sticks? Do they work well enough with large libraries?

Thanks!

It should be much better with the next update to the LG app. Thanks.

Thanks Luke, I will hang on until then,

Stay Safe :-)

rbjtech

It should be much better with the next update to the LG app. Thanks.

What is the actual threshold when it starts to slow ?

I have just over 1000 items in a library and the display is scrolling and jumping to letters very quickly.

Is it memory related as presumably you are just loading the library database titles in, you are not loading all the images ?

With 1000 titles i would expect you to see some issues with the current version of the app. Do you have a newer model? That could explain why it's performing quickly for you.

rbjtech

With 1000 titles i would expect you to see some issues with the current version of the app. Do you have a newer model? That could explain why it's performing quickly for you.

It's an LG OLED65C8PLA - WebOS 4.1.4 - so 2018 I believe.

I have zero complaints  :)

rbjtech

I have a 2018 and 2019 model and both are pretty slow with a 2000+ movie library.

Are you connection via wired (100Mbit) or wireless ?

100MBit/s - but - if that is a problem - shouldn't that also appear with smaller libraries?

100MBit/s - but - if that is a problem - shouldn't that also appear with smaller libraries?

I think it's just a matter of every situation being different, and that's why some are not affected by this, but others are.