TVheadend live TV

kasper1985

kasper1985

I decided to try out Emby today to move away from Plex.

However one of the things that i wanted was Live TV using TVheadend (and a USB tuner on a raspberry pi). First of all I have to say it is extremely misleading as it states on the website or in the server interface about needing a paid subscription for live TV just for DVR which i am not interested in.

I have a Plex pass so i don't mind paying for cool projects but at least they clearly say you need a Plex pass for it.

The problem i am running into is that I have installed the TVheadend plugin entered the server information and user/password but i am lost what i am supposed to do next. Do i still need to add something under "live TV" because it is not finding anything i try. Not the URL with m3u file not the tvheadend server itself absolutely nothing.

In the emby client i can select Live TV but it's empty and not showing anything.

Can someone please explain what i am missing here?

The Emby server is running in Docker on a Ubuntu server

The TVheadend server is running on a raspberry pi

The client i am using at the moment is a Nvidia Shield

Q-Droid

You have to add the tuner under Live TV setup on the Emby server. You add the url to the tvheadend m3u Playlist. Personally I prefer using m3u over the tvheadend plug-in in emby.

But before you try this I suggest you test the url using VLC to make sure TVH is working the way you want. It's harder to troubleshoot tuning and streaming issues with TVH from emby.

kasper1985

I do not have any option to refresh channels anywhere. I don't see "tasks" on the dashboard except for running tasks. I get the below error when adding the URL

shield@192.168.1.7:9981/playlist/channels.m3u?profile=shield which works in VLC.

The Pi is not accessible from outside so i removed the password temporarily to ensure there were no issues with it. When i paste this url directly in a browser i can open it with VLC and the streaming of the first TV channel starts right away.

I have rebooted emby server multiple times it now says I have premiere so that is working as well.

Completely stuck on this

5d7a53ae55348_EmbyliveTV.png

Q-Droid

Any particular reason you're not using the default pass through profile?

Refresh guide data is under scheduled tasks. You can click on play symbol to run immediately.

Another recommendation, create no-auth user '*' in TVH for default access. Some have had issues with user accounts.

pünktchen

Okay, it's called "Scheduled Tasks" in the left hamburger menu.
But first things first. Either you want to use the plugin or the m3u approach. But don't use both! If you want to try the m3u just remove the "shield@" at the beginning.

Edit: i wanted to say the same as Q-Droid. Use a profile without authentication.

Edited by pünktchen

kasper1985

At this point i will use anything that actually works.

The m3u url still doesn't work even with shield@ removed. The syntax btw i got from another forum thread on this forum.

The same error appears.

Q-Droid

The default user for no-auth in TVH is '*' with no password. I'm away from my server so can't offer details but they're easy enough to find.

If VLC works without login then TVH might be good to go. Are you running VLC from the same Ubuntu box with Emby? If not then make sure that host can connect to the pi, wget or curl can be used to test it. If that works then maybe the container instance can't connect.

The m3u url that's working with VLC should also work with Emby. Or at least connect and fetch the channels even if it has playback issues.

kasper1985

No VLC doesn't work without login. I am prompted for a http login box. Hence there was the shield@ before as i took from another thread that's how you attach the username. I just removed the password temporarily.

This is way more time then i wanted to spend on this. It's disappointing but i guess need to go back to Plex which has a non working live tv function at the moment as well.

It's baffling how they  ask for payment for a product that is clearly not working/not finished.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Q-Droid

It does work and rather well. However this is not the natively supported route and some integration and expertise is needed. The natively supported options are also clearly documented if you want the turnkey solution.

Many use Emby+TVH with and without the plug-in so it's proven to work and quite a bit of info is posted in the forums.

kasper1985

So what is the natively supported route? A tuner that isn't sold in my country?

Where is this clearly documented? Maybe it's documented but sure as hell not clearly.

I have searched through the forums before opening this post. All i could find was very old posts that didn't apply to my version of the server or TVH.

I don't care if the plugin is used or if it's a m3u. I honestly just want something that works without jumping through a 1000 hoops. That is what i expect from a PAID product. As soon as you pay for something the expectations are higher.

So i am not going to search for hours trying to fiddle around with it for days on end untill i get it finally working which i am sure it will do in the end. I'd do that for free open source software. But as soon as i need to pay for something it just needs to work without hassle.

@@kasper1985, please let us know if the above wiki helps you. My suggestion would be to import your m3u content into Emby directly without using the TVH plugin.

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks !

• 3 months later...

Hi, 
I am using latest tvheadend 4.3 and emby plugin is not working for me.

I also disabled digest authentication type and added * user and password.
VLC streaming is working fine and without authentication.
I also tried adding some test user for emby in tvheadend, restarting whole server but nothing helped..

When I remove tvheadend plugin and add m3u and xml, channels are there but everytime when I want to play something,

only black screen with loading animation appears.

When I open chrome developer tools network panel, .ts files are appearing so when I manually download some and play in VLC, it plays few seconds without problems.

But Emby is still showing black screen with loading circle animation.

Where can be the problem?

Q-Droid

What is your live TV source?

What is your TVH server device?

What is your Emby server device?

What is your playback device?

That it's working in VLC is a good start. Though keep in mind that VLC can play just about anything. So now it's time to figure out what Emby is trying to do.

• Like 1

What is your live TV source?

What is your TVH server device?

What is your Emby server device?

What is your playback device?

That it's working in VLC is a good start. Though keep in mind that VLC can play just about anything. So now it's time to figure out what Emby is trying to do.

My TV source is encrypted DVB-T2 with CA Module.

I have Ubuntu server with Emby and tvheadend installed.

Tvheadend is working fine, I am using VLC or Kodi with tvheadend plugin.

I use TBS5580 Multi-standard Universal TV Tuner CI USB Box.

I tested this black screen behavior directly in chrome browser on server, and also in chrome on another computer.

Before last test, i stopped emby service, deleted all logs in /var/lib/emby/logs and all logs that were created during test are attached to this post

embyserver.txt

ffmpeg-remux-481a4840-580e-4a97-9d05-3bfb849b1c92_1.txt

hardware_detection-63713343586.txt

pünktchen

The problem at least partially is Chrome.

Emby thinks your tv channel can be direct streamed so it does a local copy of the tv stream and sends it to your Browser. But Chrome somehow doesn't like the input. It works better in Firefox though.

Or choose a low 720 or 1080 quality so it still transcodes.

Edited by pünktchen

Q-Droid

Even though it looks like the stream being played in the logs is 720p h264 @ 2mbps I see these in the log:

2019-12-30 23:00:11.860 Info HttpClient: GET http://my-tvheadend-server:9981/playlist/channels.m3u?profile=pass
2019-12-30 23:00:11.919 Info App: User policy for mpajer. EnablePlaybackRemuxing: True EnableVideoPlaybackTranscoding: True EnableAudioPlaybackTranscoding: True
2019-12-30 23:00:11.927 Info App: Bitrate exceeds DirectPlay limit: media bitrate: 40000000, max bitrate: 7000000
2019-12-30 23:00:11.927 Info App: Bitrate exceeds DirectStream limit: media bitrate: 40000000, max bitrate: 7000000
2019-12-30 23:00:11.958 Info LiveTvManager: Opening channel stream from Emby, external channel Id: m3u_d6d4f740d1d1f50f5a3a666499a50bf7418ab525b6219451db85de0b7711d229

Is the Emby server treating your browser session as a remote connection?

You could try lowering the quality as suggested above to force transcoding instead of just remux.