Client options for Hisense 'VIDAA U3.0 AI' TV OS

TonkaTuff

TonkaTuff

Hi emby community.

Sadly my much loved Sony Android TV died last weekend.

The emby Android TV OS did just about everything I wanted and was great.

I've replaced my TV with a Hisense 65R8 -  https://hisense.com.au/product/65-series-8-65r8/

Unfortunately this doesn't run Android TV, instead using Hisense's own 'VIDAA U3.0 AI' OS.

It has an app store named 'AppsNOW' with a very small library that doesn't include emby, nor kodi.

There's an inbuilt browser but it won't load the web client either.

So, my questions are:

1. What is the likelihood that an emby client app might be developed for this OS in the future?

2. What are my best options for getting back to the Android TV experience without huge expense? I'm thinking along the lines of some sort of Android TV box.

In the meantime I can use my Windows 8.1 HTPC, which is running WMC with emby classic. This gets the job done but lacks a lot of the features and love that I enjoyed with the Android TV emby client.

I've tried using the emby theatre (desktop) app. This gets me close but doesn't work very well with my remote and I can't work out playback controls during playback (seeking, stats for nerds, view progress, time-shifting for live tv, mini guide, etc). It also seems to make the HTPC work pretty hard with the cooling fan spinning up to annoying levels. The Windows store app doesn't appear to be available on Windows 8.1 so I haven't tried that.

Ember for emby looks like another option that might be worth exploring.

(BTW, my HTPC is a gen 3 core-i3 NUC - https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/76978/intel-nuc-kit-d34010wyk.html)

Thanks for your input.

TT

Edited by TonkaTuff
  • Agree 1

Hi.  I would get a Mi at Walmart for around $60 if you don't require HD audio (which I'm assuming since you were using the TV before).  You will get the same interface and app you had before and it will probably even run better :).

• Like 1

TonkaTuff

Thanks ebr.

I'll look into that. We have a similarly priced device in Australia 'Vodafone TV Box' which seems to compare favourably too.

Am I overlooking something with the emby theatre desktop app playback? Is a playback overlay implemented in that app?

Cheers.

I'm moving away from them, but FireTV is always an option. I'm moving towards Roku, though, and that's a solid platform. It's not Android, but there's plenty of apps for it and works well.

• Like 1

TonkaTuff

Well, I've got a zero cost solution for now  :)

I hadn't realised the theatre app was availble for the xbox one.

I now have it running on my original xbox one and it works great.

I also hadn't realised the xbox one has an IR receiver in it, so I can even use it with my universal remote.

This won't allow me to play UHD content but is fine for now. Apparently a new version of the Nvidia Shield is on the horizon so maybe I'll splash out on that when it becomes available.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

-TT

• 4 years later...