When does adding a shared network folder improve performance?

Gilgamesh_48

Gilgamesh_48

I was going to ask this in a thread where it got mentioned but I decided to not hijack that thread as the answer/question back and forth could get long, or it could be VERY short.

When does adding a shared network folder improve performance?

Ex:

If I have a library with the following location:

R:\Active TV

And I add:

\\DELLSYS\Active TV\

as the shared network folder, when does it produce an improvement and on which devices?

Also are there any negatives to doing that and/or problems if there is a typo?

Lastly, for now, is there a way to test if the path is actually being used?

Or is that all just a placebo for those of us that think they need/want more control?

Edited by Gilgamesh_48

Gilgamesh_48

Hi there, please check out our wiki article on this and let us know if this answers your question. Thanks.

Thank you. It almost answered some of my questions but I did not see anything about what clients will use that path or how to tell if it is working as intended or what improvements should actually be seen or what is the side effects of errors like typos in the path.

That is that page says what it is supposed to do but that was said in the one sentence you see on the page were you enter the path.

Mainly I want to know about any negatives and how to tell if it is working.

That page really answers none of my questions at all.

Gilgamesh_48

@@cayars can look at improving it. Emby Theater, Emby for Kodi and Emby for WMC are the apps that can use it.

So, since I use Rokus, Shield TV and Fire TVs I gain nothing. Oh well, my performance is not bad except on rare occasions when using my Shield's server.

Thanks.