Some movies not showing up in Emby

diaz1510

You aren't alone. I'm having a similar issue. I noticed it within the last few days. 

I have my movies in two libraries, one for the kids, one for the rest. New movies added to the main movie folder are not being scanned and added to the database or having metadata files added. It has always worked in the past for a couple years now. Usually within a couple minutes of a movie folder being added it gets seen and added.

I tried everything; moving the movie folder in and out of the parent folder, telling Emby to rescan, restarting emby, restarting the computer, but nothing works. If I pick up the movie's folder though and drop in the parent folder of the kid's movies it finds it within a couple minutes.

Edited by einniv

Happy2Play

And if you created a New folder for movies and added it to the Movie library or create a new Movie library are they found?  This is sounding like a database issue some users have when the existing Movie Library folders are cause some sort of issue in the database (specific to the original folder path).

And if you created a New folder for movies and added it to the Movie library or create a new Movie library are they found?  This is sounding like a database issue some users have when the existing Movie Library folders are cause some sort of issue in the database (specific to the original folder path).

I'm in the process of trying various things. I'll post a log when I'm done. Each of my two libraries actually has two folders in it. Right now it only looks like one specific folder from the one library is having the problem. Emby sees when I remove a folder from it (per the log) and also sees when I put it back but never runs the "ffprobe" command or adds posters and nfo etc. I even tried running the ffprobe command manually and it worked fine so it doesn't seem to be a problem there. I'll give a full report when I have time to experiment more carefully.

diaz1510

OK, so I'm really getting confused now...so I just added a totally new movie (old, but never had it before).  The LEGO Ninjago Movie.  Well I have a LEGO Movie Collection folder with all the other LEGO movies (and have had it for years with no issues) and I dropped this movie folder with the media within it to the collection folder.

...The LEGO Movie Collection\The LEGO Ninjago Movie (2017)\The LEGO Ninjago Movie (2017) - 4K.mkv

All my 4K movies always get the 4K extension after the dash, btw.

Anyway, after a library scan, I can see it in new movies but it has no image card, just the place holder solid color card.  I go to the media folder itself and there is no metadata in the folder. I do another library scan and then it has a warped poster image as the image card and in the media folder is only one jpg poster image.  I try to use the identify feature to manually have the metadata added and although I input all pertinant info to find the movie, the search results turn up nothing....

Included the logs....

embyserver.txt

embyserver-63703220076.txt

Edited by diaz1510

I should also note, I hadn't checked my libraries in a while and it appears the last time it successfully added a movie from that folder was 8/9/2019 which happens to be the day the last update came out. Looks highly suspicious lol. The  movies added since then have no posters or nfos.

Edited by einniv

diaz1510

Added another log to the previous post btw...I think that might be the one that shows the issues with the newest movie addition...

Happy2Play

Added another log to the previous post btw...I think that might be the one that shows the issues with the newest movie addition...

Are your network shares on the root of the drive?  This would suggest so as your TV libraries are seeing system files that reside on the root of the drive.  But that would not explain your movie issues as the error doesn't appear for those shares at least that is being logged.

Access to the path '\\MediaServerPC\TV Shows 01\Recovery' is denied.

Access to the path '\\MediaServerPC\TV Shows 02\found.000' is denied.

Do you have a need for the XMLMetadata plugin?

Not that is should matter but I see you are on the original MediaBrowser-Server installation.

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server
Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

Ok. My problem was a coincidence after all. I looked in the log after forcing a scan and saw a couple folders were corrupted on disk. Ran windows chkdsk on that drive and now all is well. Sorry about that. Not sure why it affected the non-corrupted folders but maybe the master file table was off too or something. 

• Like 1

diaz1510

Hmmm, its justbthebsame exact setupnl Ive had for years...I changed nothing and never had any issues with previous versions when it comes to metadata.

As for XML plugin....idk, should I be needing it?

Happy2Play

Hmmm, its justbthebsame exact setupnl Ive had for years...I changed nothing and never had any issues with previous versions when it comes to metadata.

As for XML plugin....idk, should I be needing it?

Only if you have media with only xml metadata.  Emby stopped writing xml metadata years ago.  

I personally use it as I use MediaCenterMaster for my metadata.

Happy2Play

Ok. My problem was a coincidence after all. I looked in the log after forcing a scan and saw a couple folders were corrupted on disk. Ran windows chkdsk on that drive and now all is well. Sorry about that. Not sure why it affected the non-corrupted folders but maybe the master file table was off too or something. 

Glad you were able to figure it out.

diaz1510

Yeah, I've been with Emby for quite some time and it never changed from MediaBrowser-Server...

I have been toying lately with doing that clean install to get me back to a clean slate possibly.

diaz1510

Unfortunately the chkdsk did not work for me.  I am still not getting a number of movies to show up in Emby...

What is the next step here in troubleshooting this issue?

Thanks @@Luke and @@Happy2Play

Happy2Play

Back to the question I have already asked.  If you create a new library with a new folder attached to it and move items into it do those movies appear?  I still suspect a broken database and when that happens there is no way to really fix it that I have seen, as the reasoning for it really hasn't been found.

Depending on the size of the library.db maybe zip it and PM it.  With a list of specific examples.

diaz1510

Back to the question I have already asked.  If you create a new library with a new folder attached to it and move items into it do those movies appear?  I still suspect a broken database and when that happens there is no way to really fix it that I have seen, as the reasoning for it really hasn't been found.

Depending on the size of the library.db maybe zip it and PM it.  With a list of specific examples.

Hmm, so I created a new library in another location on another HDD and added it within Emby.  It found the movie correctly...

And I don't doubt I could probably use a fresh install (ugh, I don't look forward to it if I have to, LOL), but the issue I have is that this wasn't a problem until the latest version.  So even though it may only be effecting me or a small group, it still was caused (or simply manifested itself because I have something going on in my .db file) during the latest iteration.  So, typically as a troubleshooter myself (although in the industrial mechanical world) when I find an issue that is difficult to track down, I start with "what did I in the last change that may be contributing" and go from there...

My library.db file is 575MB btw...

Edited by diaz1510

Happy2Play

With the new folder/library test to me proves there issue within the db.  Unless one is able to find the issue and a workaround/fix the current database will remain broke.  And it is hard to find a fix if you don't experience the issue first hand.

diaz1510

With the new folder/library test to me proves there issue within the db.  Unless one is able to find the issue and a workaround/fix the current database will remain broke.  And it is hard to find a fix if you don't experience the issue first hand.

I see...well, what would be the least intrusive way to rebuild that .db?  Simply delete just the library.db and let emby build it again?

diaz1510

Yes you could do that. It does contain watch data though, so be aware of that.

Well, I did a complete library rebuild and it actually looks pretty good...except for one thing...it is not picking up any movies from that same Movies 02 library that I have added to the movie library.  That is the drive that holds my D-G movies and none of those are showing up.  I am wondering if there is some corruption in the disk that I am unaware of but I get nothing from any HDD diagnostics nor do I have any issue using it within File Explorer.  I had also performed a Check Disk on it with no issues showing.  It is just not showing any movies within Emby from that drive despite being identified as a drive within the library to scan.

Any advice?

...that same Movies 02 library that I have added to the movie library.  

You meant "folder that i have added to the movie library" correct?

Rather than disc corruption (which is a possibility) I would investigate the exact structure and contents of that particular folder/drive.  It may be that it is being recognized as something other than what you expect due to the exact makeup of the files and folders there.

diaz1510

You meant "folder that i have added to the movie library" correct?

Rather than disc corruption (which is a possibility) I would investigate the exact structure and contents of that particular folder/drive.  It may be that it is being recognized as something other than what you expect due to the exact makeup of the files and folders there.

I get that but as mentioned before, I have 5 HDDs for my movie library.  All are identical models and all have identical folder structure.  Its been that way since I've been with Emby for quite a few years now.  So what has changed? I understand that my library was probably pretty corrupted over the years but none of it manifested until I upgraded to the latest version. It helped that I rebuilt the library I'm sure, but I'm curious as to why that one drive isn't showing up anymore.  I've changed nothing on my end and the other 4 are being recognized just fine.

Edited by diaz1510