Some movies not showing up in Emby

diaz1510

diaz1510

There are a few movies that aren't showing up anywhere in Emby lately.  I'll use 'Dave Chappelle Sticks & Stones' as it is the latest example (but not by any means the only one).  I typically create a folder with the movie name and then rename my movies to fit the naming convention I've always used "movie (year).mkv", then perform a library refresh (or sometimes just wait for the scheduled refresh) and the movie shows up...metadata and all.  The folder I had created will also be populated with all the metadata.

Well I did this for this movie, performed a refresh, but nothing showed up.  It's in the folder with no metadata. Then I perform another library scan, nothing.  Then I scan for missing metadata, nothing.  I move the movie back to my watched download folder used for TV Show auto-organize.  I perform an auto organize (I have movies disabled).  It shows up in red text as expected.  I then decide to try a manual organize.  I go through the process of identifying it within the emby manual organize feature, Emby locates and identifies it no problem and I identify which folder to drop it in, I then proceed with the manual sort and it sorts it normally, text turns green in auto-organize, then I perform another library scan...nothing,  The movie was moved to the requested folder, but there is no metadata and it still will not show up in Emby

I've tried server restarts and multiple library scans but it never shows up in emby.  i then tried a different movie to see if it was with all movies, but it located, identified and populated just fine.  I have a number of movies that this is happening to.

Any idea?  I've included the log....

embyserver.txt

Hi there, what is the folder structure of your movies library? can you please describe that? How did you setup the library in emby library setup? Thanks.

diaz1510

Same folder structure I've had for the past 5 years I've been with Emby, never changed it. I place the movie within a folder of the same name directly into the library. For movies I've got 5 HDDs (no raid configuration, just 5 separate HDDs) each one name Movies 01, Movies 02 etc. The Dave Chappelle movie falls into Movie 02 because that is where I keep movies D through G on. And because I keep his together, I keep them in a collection folder (as I do all movies with sequels). So like this:

/Movies 02/Dave Chappelle Collection/Dave Chappelle Stick & Stones (2019)/Dave Chappelle Sticks & Stones (2019).mkv

Keep in mind, I've tried moving it out of the collection folder as well with no luck. Not to mention all the others within that collection folder show up just fine in Emby.

Happy2Play

The log provided does not show that specific structure.  So did you move the media again?  Is there a log for that if you did?  Does the media appear if you search?

2019-09-02 18:18:30.935 Info App: Sorting file \\MediaServerPC\Misc\Downloads\JDownloader\Dave Chappelle Sticks & Stones (2019).mkv into movie \\MediaServerPC\Movies 02\Dave Chappelle  Sticks & Stones (2019).mkv
2019-09-02 18:18:30.938 Info App: Sorting file \\MediaServerPC\Misc\Downloads\JDownloader\Dave Chappelle Sticks & Stones (2019).mkv to new path \\MediaServerPC\Movies 02\Dave Chappelle  Sticks & Stones (2019).mkv

2019-09-02 18:20:17.142 Info LibraryMonitor: Movies 02 (\\MediaServerPC\Movies 02) will be refreshed.

diaz1510

And why do you feel that it's not showing up?

That's an interesting question....well....I "feel" that is isn't showing up because it LITERALLY isn't showing up.  Not with a search or anywhere it's supposed to be.  I've included screenshots of the library view and of how it sits on my HDD.  I also had renamed the Dave Chappelle Equanimity and it also will not show up in Emby...despite me doing numerous library scans.

I'm having the same problem with the entire Fast & Furious collection.  I recently downloaded better quality versions and replaced them into the same folders, after a library scan the link to the movies was broken and it now no longer is able to locate the movies.  It's never been an issue before, but I sense it started this when I upgraded to the latest version.  I thought it had something to do with movies that are stored in a collection folder, but even when I pull that movie out of the collection folder and put it directly into Movies 02, it still can't find it.

5d6f042e57b14_01.jpg5d6f04395e8ab_02.jpg

diaz1510

Yes, you are right...apologies.  This log is for the attempt I made in using the movie auto-organize feature.  It identifies the movie correctly and when I proceed with the auto-organize, it moves it to Movies 02 (but doesn't put it into a folder, just directly into Movies 02.  This log was for that particular attempt. I can put the movie into my collection folder, then run another scan and upload that log if it would help.

Oh and it will not show even when I perform a search

The log provided does not show that specific structure.  So did you move the media again?  Is there a log for that if you did?  Does the media appear if you search?

2019-09-02 18:18:30.935 Info App: Sorting file \\MediaServerPC\Misc\Downloads\JDownloader\Dave Chappelle Sticks & Stones (2019).mkv into movie \\MediaServerPC\Movies 02\Dave Chappelle  Sticks & Stones (2019).mkv
2019-09-02 18:18:30.938 Info App: Sorting file \\MediaServerPC\Misc\Downloads\JDownloader\Dave Chappelle Sticks & Stones (2019).mkv to new path \\MediaServerPC\Movies 02\Dave Chappelle  Sticks & Stones (2019).mkv

2019-09-02 18:20:17.142 Info LibraryMonitor: Movies 02 (\\MediaServerPC\Movies 02) will be refreshed.
Edited by diaz1510

Happy2Play

What do you see if you go to the folder tab or in the Metadata Manager?  But this sounds similar to all the other database issues with Collections where something goes wrong in the database with that specific item.

diaz1510

Hmmm interesting, so I just tried something else...

All movies with sequels or that are related (Star Wars, Star Trek, fast & Furious, etc) I keep inside a folder as a collection. well I also do the same thing with stand up comic specials.  IE Dave Chappelles specials all under one Dave Chappelle collection folder.   It's never been an issue before and I've been using this same folder structure as far back as I can remember.  Anyway, as we are sitting here, I noticed I hadn't done that with my DL Hughley stand up specials...I was keeping them separately.  well I decided to do what I always do, create a parent DL Hughley folder and drop those two specials I have for him into that collection folder.  Well, I performed a scan and now the two specials show up without any artwork, and when I try to play it from Emby, it tells me playback error and that there are no compatible streams available.  I am assuming it is because the metadata link still points to the old location.  Well I was thinking this was just some residual error that would clean up on another scan, but no scan will correct the issue.  I wouldn't mind be able to manually correct the path where the folder is located but that is one attribute I can't change within Emby.  Is there anyway to do that?  This may all be inter-related...

5d6f07e001994_03.jpg5d6f07e74dc9e_04.jpg

diaz1510

What do you see if you go to the folder tab or in the Metadata Manager?  But this sounds similar to all the other database issues with Collections where something goes wrong in the database with that specific item.

Hmm , ok, folder tab shows the Davew Chappelle collection, I click on it and it sends me to the folders that are in it, but those two Dave Chappelle specials don't show up there either

5d6f08aa508c3_05.jpg

Happy2Play

Hmmm interesting, so I just tried something else...

All movies with sequels or that are related (Star Wars, Star Trek, fast & Furious, etc) I keep inside a folder as a collection. well I also do the same thing with stand up comic specials.  IE Dave Chappelles specials all under one Dave Chappelle collection folder.   It's never been an issue before and I've been using this same folder structure as far back as I can remember.  Anyway, as we are sitting here, I noticed I hadn't done that with my DL Hughley stand up specials...I was keeping them separately.  well I decided to do what I always do, create a parent DL Hughley folder and drop those two specials I have for him into that collection folder.  Well, I performed a scan and now the two specials show up without any artwork, and when I try to play it from Emby, it tells me playback error and that there are no compatible streams available.  I am assuming it is because the metadata link still points to the old location.  Well I was thinking this was just some residual error that would clean up on another scan, but no scan will correct the issue.  I wouldn't mind be able to manually correct the path where the folder is located but that is one attribute I can't change within Emby.  Is there anyway to do that?  This may all be inter-related...

5d6f07e001994_03.jpg5d6f07e74dc9e_04.jpg

Is the correct path shown in the UI if you scrolled down to media info or check via edit metadata?  If the paths are not updating with your changes your system is not reporting changes when items are moved then.  When you move a item you should see it deleted in your log and re-added.  Are you seeing this action? 

You might need to enable debug logging via Dashboard-Logs.  Note you have to restart your server after enabling/disabling this feature for it to work.

Edited by Happy2Play

Happy2Play

As for manually updating the paths you would have to shutdown Emby and edit the library.db directly (mediaitems table).  But ensure you make multiple backups so if anything goes wrong with your edits you have a good copy to restore.

Edited by Happy2Play

diaz1510

Is the correct path shown in the UI if you scrolled down to media info or check via edit metadata?  If the paths are not updating with your changes your system is not reporting changes when items are moved then.  When you move a item you should see it deleted in your log and re-added.  Are you seeing this action? 

You might need to enable debug logging via Dashboard-Logs.  Note you have to restart your server after enabling/disabling this feature for it to work.

So the old path i still showing, not the new path.  Either via media info at the bottom or via edit metadata

diaz1510

As for manually updating the paths you would have to shutdown Emby and edit the library.db directly (media items table).  But ensure you make multiple backups so if anything goes wrong with your edits you have a good copy to restore.

Hmmm, I'd rather not mess with editing the database directly.  I don't have a problem waiting for a fix of the issue if one was coming.  It was working perfectly fine before I updated to the latest version so maybe something broke in that transition?  But since you bring up collections, I am having all kinds of small issues with my actual collections tab, such as duplicate collections throughout as well as losing movies for collections I manually created VS ones created by the plugin...

diaz1510

As for enabling debugging, I just did that and restarted it...is there some specific action you'd like me to take before I upload that log?  perform a library scan perhaps?  All media files are currently located in the proper folders (at least the way I have been structuring my library, lol)

Happy2Play

So the old path i still showing, not the new path.  Either via media info at the bottom or via edit metadata

Personally I would test putting the media back in the old location doing a scan, see if it works, then remove the media and do a scan ensure it is gone, then add it back to the location you want  and see it it works.  But in the end your system is not performing or seeing updates properly it would appear.

Hmmm, I'd rather not mess with editing the database directly.  I don't have a problem waiting for a fix of the issue if one was coming.  It was working perfectly fine before I updated to the latest version so maybe something broke in that transition?  But since you bring up collections, I am having all kinds of small issues with my actual collections tab, such as duplicate collections throughout as well as losing movies for collections I manually created VS ones created by the plugin...

It is usually hard for a fix if it only happens to one setup.  Not that anyone likes it but with multiple issues usually means time for a clean install and only restore userdata.

Happy2Play

As for enabling debugging, I just did that and restarted it...is there some specific action you'd like me to take before I upload that log?  perform a library scan perhaps?  All media files are currently located in the proper folders (at least the way I have been structuring my library, lol)

You would have to say remove "Dave Chappelle Sticks & Stones (2019)" do a scan and re-add it and do a scan.

diaz1510

Personally I would test putting the media back in the old location doing a scan, see if it works, then remove the media and do a scan ensure it is gone, then add it back to the location you want  and see it it works.  But in the end your system is not performing or seeing updates properly it would appear.

It is usually hard for a fix if it only happens to one setup.  Not that anyone likes it but with multiple issues usually means time for a clean install and only restore userdata.

OK, no prob...Ill try the first step.

But I have actually been thinking lately about doing a completely fresh install.  I've been with you guys for so long now and have just been updating.  I still see older remnants of files from time to time through my library.

I'm just nervous something won't work right after the fresh install, lol.  I was thinking about completely deleting all files (art, nfo, trailers, subtitle tracks, etc) and keeping JUST the media files themselves.  Deleting and uninstalling every trace of Emby I can find in my PC (including the stuff in the ...appdata/roaming... folder) and pretending as if I was a completely new user.

But how would this effect my emby premiere?

diaz1510

Everywhere in Emby. Within the movies tab, TV shows tab, Folder tab etc. Doing a search doesn't show anything either. The movie folder also will not populate any metadata. Despite doing multiple library scans, there is still nothing but the media within each folder...no images, no subtitle files, no nfo files, etc...