Invite with emby connect? How

abescalamis

Hi, we need to update the wiki, but it's all one add user screen now. Click the + button to add a user, then when doing that you can enter their Emby Connect info.

abescalamis

Hi, we need to update the wiki, but it's all one add user screen now. Click the + button to add a user, then when doing that you can enter their Emby Connect info.

That kind of sucks, I remember the user will get an email with a link, then register himself at the emby website and was added automatically as user to the server.

If my understanding is correct, the new way made "Emby Connect" 100 useless especially for those like me that use domains name to access emby.

Why would I want to add the users emby connect info, for what purpose? it will just adding be extra unnecessary information with no gain whatsoever.

Thanks for the clarification anyways.

Edited by abescalamis
  • Like 1

They still have to create an Emby Connect account either way. You just need to let them know to do that first. 

This is just a UI change to consolidate two screens into one.

abescalamis

I have lazy users and none of them have created emby connect accounts, I just gave them the password, domain and the user is their name.

I was going to use it with a user who is bad with technology, Emby connect was simple for this specific situation.

No biggie to me.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
Kevinmce

Agreed, my family would prefer to see an invite link rather than me try to explain why this is gonna work for them. 

Edited by Kevinmce
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

We'll look at improving it. Thanks for the feedback.

Agreed with the above posts. Have never bothered using Emby Connect before as I was setting up Kodi with the Emby addon for family members and giving them android boxes. Now for some that have existing devices like the Apple TV, figured the Emby app would work, so tried using Connect. But it seems that some of them had to register for an account and had an email address already associated with Connect before I (as admin) could add them as a user.

Definitely much more end-user friendly if the server admin can just create an account, add thr user's email address, and if the email address is not signed up with Connect yet, it won't reject the Add User action but still add it and just send an email with a registration invite to Connect. Don't think it's a technical issue, and it still consolidates everything to one screen, as was the previous goal

• 1 year later...
TinyBabyOwl

Is there any update on this? The guide still says you can add a user and invite them to emby connect in one step. That feature is still missing, and is a HUGE benefit of Plex. Asking your average person to make an emby connect account and give me their email is more trouble than most people are willing to go through, believe it or not.

GrimReaper
10 minutes ago, TinyBabyOwl said:

Is there any update on this? The guide still says you can add a user and invite them to emby connect in one step. That feature is still missing, and is a HUGE benefit of Plex. Asking your average person to make an emby connect account and give me their email is more trouble than most people are willing to go through, believe it or not.

Or just create them a 'disposable' email Connect account yourself and give them the credentials, it's not like it will be used for anything other than server access - AND you still have total control. That's how I do it for my technically inept users. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

TinyBabyOwl
7 minutes ago, GrimReaper76 said:

Or just create them a 'disposable' email Connect account yourself and give them the credentials, it's not like it will be used for anything other than server access - AND you still have total control. That's how I do it for my technically inept users. 🤷‍♂️

I suppose that's an option. I'm assuming that password changes will be tied to the emby connect account, and when the disposable email expires a password reset might not be possible. Is my assumption correct?

Sure hope they bring back the old method. Plugging in an email and sending an invite never gave anyone on my Plex troubles, even the most technically inept users.

GrimReaper
2 minutes ago, TinyBabyOwl said:

I suppose that's an option. I'm assuming that password changes will be tied to the emby connect account, and when the disposable email expires a password reset might not be possible. Is my assumption correct?

Substitute 'disposable' with 'secondary', 'not used' or 'alternate' on any of the permanent service providers. There goes password change issue. But I agree that process could be more streamlined, was just suggesting a workaround until that actually gets implemented. 

• 3 months later...

Yes hopefully in the near future there will be more changes to Emby Connect.

• 6 months later...
acozad12

Totally agree with the above comments. It would be great if the new user would get an email with they just clicked on to start sharing. I have older persons that need that extra help to get things working. Just my two cents.

• 5 months later...
Adiventure

Wanted to add on to this request. Having multiple users who are fairly tech incompetent, it would be great to be able to just send them an invite link, compared to directing them to sign up. 

TMCsw

Although I think Emby Connect could/should be better. But why use it at all? As my 82y/o dad hates to give any third party, any info, but trusts me(sort of).

Note: I'm rather new to this so tell me I'm an Idiot if I'm wrong...

I tried this and it worked fine.

1. Add a user
  2. Send them an email/text/facebook etc. that tells how to connect without signing up to a third party (Emby Connect)

The Email should tell them how to download the client they need (or just use a web browser (i don't really like this option)). Then do a "manual login" (or what ever it is) with the ip you give them from your Dashboard and what ever port(secure?) you have assigned/allowed along with the username and password (allow to change) . Say what server to connect to and done... . ...contact me if you have problems.

I don't think this would violate any license or otherwise @Luke?

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, TMCsw said:

Although I think Emby Connect could/should be better. But why use it at all? As my 82y/o dad hates to give any third party, any info, but trusts me(sort of).

Note: I'm rather new to this so tell me I'm an Idiot if I'm wrong...

I tried this and it worked fine.

1. Add a user
  2. Send them an email/text/facebook etc. that tells how to connect without signing up to a third party (Emby Connect)

The Email should tell them how to download the client they need (or just use a web browser (i don't really like this option)). Then do a "manual login" (or what ever it is) with the ip you give them from your Dashboard and what ever port(secure?) you have assigned/allowed along with the username and password (allow to change) . Say what server to connect to and done... . ...contact me if you have problems.

I don't think this would violate any license or otherwise @Luke?

No sounds good.

BillOatman

Here is what I do to add a user.  Granted I don't run a commercial server with hundreds of users, but to date no one has had the slightest amount of trouble.

1) Have person create an account at https://emby.media/community/index.php?/register/
2) Send me their username.
3) They install a Emby client while ...
4) I create their user, putting the Emby connect username in that Optional field and set what they have access to etc.
5) Tell them to connect as a test.

Easy peasy.

Edited by BillOatman
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have a friend that I shared my Emby with, and they are an external user. They created theie Emby account, gave me their username, they log in on their Emby client, see my Emby server, but when they click it, they get an error saying connection failed, make sure server is running. My server is running, i am watching it currently, haha. My server is set up on an Asustor NAS, does that matter in this? 

Thanks for any assistance! 

15 hours ago, Bmaj3 said:

I have a friend that I shared my Emby with, and they are an external user. They created theie Emby account, gave me their username, they log in on their Emby client, see my Emby server, but when they click it, they get an error saying connection failed, make sure server is running. My server is running, i am watching it currently, haha. My server is set up on an Asustor NAS, does that matter in this? 

Thanks for any assistance! 

Hi.  Have you properly setup remote access on your network and confirmed it is working?

Remote Setup

Connectivity

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Shade1982 said:

We are now at the end of 2023 and there has been zero development on this. Is anything planned?

HI, we have some new ideas that will be coming to help make it easier to get connected to your server,  so stay tuned for that.

• Like 1