HLS ffmpeg kill

Luke

In order to pass the apple validator we had to increase the kill delay to two minutes.  I don't think there's really a way for the server to detect when to do this, so here's the change:

- Add DeviceId to your hls video url

- Anytime you want to kill all encoding processes for your device, send

HTTP DELETE to

/Videos/ActiveEncodings?DeviceId=xxx

You can do this when the user stops, as well as starting a new stream via seeking.

This will kill it faster than waiting for the delay.

gcw07

OK, question on this. Why are we adding a device id to the hls video url when we already send that information in the header attached to that request?

If you're feeding the streaming url into a video player you may not have an opportunity to attach request headers to it. Maybe with roku there's an api to do that, I'm not sure. But in the web client for example, the stream url goes into the html5 video element and there's really no way to add request headers since the http request is made by the video element and not our own code.

gcw07

If you're feeding the streaming url into a video player you may not have an opportunity to attach request headers to it. Maybe with roku there's an api to do that, I'm not sure. But in the web client for example, the stream url goes into the html5 video element and there's really no way to add request headers since the http request is made by the video element and not our own code.

Ah yeah your right. I was thinking of the progress checkins that do it and not the video url. That is processed directly by the Roku without setting a header (though I think it can because you can set it up to handle SSL). Thanks.