#21 dansblackcat OFFLINE  

dansblackcat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 183 posts
  • Local time: 03:36 PM
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 12 August 2019 - 12:43 AM

If your server is on W10 it's probably a network issue after a recent update.

Yet again my network sharing settings have been restored to their default settings after a windows update.

The usual culprit is that password protected sharing gets turned back ON.

#22 syarbrou1 OFFLINE  

syarbrou1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • Local time: 02:36 AM

Posted 12 August 2019 - 06:40 PM

Thanks for the thought dansblackcat.  Right now here is my setup:

WMC computer runs the WMC add on for Emby.  It is running Windows 7 SP1

My files are all on a Windows 2016 server and that is where the Windows server component of Emby is located.

I have tried turning off the firewall on the 2016 box but didn't help.

Now here's a note.  I am determining if something is playing the file direct vs transcoding if the bar showing how far into the video i am that it shows 0 to 0 and the bullet or whatever where the video is at is always all the way to the right side of the bar.  When it's playing direct will show from 0 to 1:50 or whatever as an example and the button starts on the left and works it's way across.  I say this as either way it shows Buffering for a few seconds on the start of a video which in some of the screens indicates its transcoding which it isn't or wasn't.  I say this because certain WMV's in the share show like 0 ---- 1:50 and others show 0----0.  Hope that makes sense.

Should also note on the password protected sharing, the script the XBox runs to connect to the UNC path's contains a network username and password.  I'll have to check thought to see if anything was changed.

Thanks.

Steve

Edited by syarbrou1, 12 August 2019 - 06:42 PM.

#23 syarbrou1 OFFLINE  

syarbrou1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 06:48 PM

Also, be nice and sure there is just don't know it yet, a way to tell what the XBox is doing.  Is it connecting to the share, is it just connecting to the Windows 7 box?

Thanks.

Steve

#24 syarbrou1 OFFLINE  

syarbrou1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 07:36 PM

OK some more troubleshooting info.  May lead to conceptually what dansblackcat was saying.  I took one of the movies that were of issue and copied them to the media center computer that the XBox connects to normally.  Set that folder as shared in Emby.  It was able to play it or start playing it and showed the full 0 - whatever end of movie.  There is some oddity now that when I start a movie it makes a beep noise which it always did, but then two seconds into the movie you hear another one.  So based on this is the theory that even with firewalls down something is being blocked on the Server 2016 machine?

Thanks.

Steve

#25 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 135815 posts
  • Local time: 03:36 AM

Posted 12 August 2019 - 07:46 PM

No I don't think it's firewall related, it's related to network sharing. The Emby for WMC app can't access the network path directly and that's why it ends up streaming the contents through emby server. That's why no amount of rolling back to previous releases is going to help with this. The first thing i would try is taking the network path configured in emby server and punching it into windows explorer from the emby for wmc machine and making sure you can browse to it.

#26 syarbrou1 OFFLINE  

syarbrou1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 07:54 PM

Yeah, that's a tough one.  My network is on a domain and I'm the domain admin so everything I connect to when I'm logged in works. :)

Rather than utilizing the dollar sign shares, I'm going to create separate shares so:

\\homeserver\Videos\Movies   INSTEAD of   \\homeserver\e$\ServerFolders\Videos\Movies

\\homeserver\Music   INSTEAD of   \\homeserver\e$\ServerFolders\Music

etc.

Indexing now so will see when it's done for good measure if it helps.

I also have a share on the media center Windows 7 computer that is \\mediacenter\d$|DuckieTVShows and that one seems to work.

Will let you know if that change makes a difference.

Thanks.

Steve

#27 syarbrou1 OFFLINE  

syarbrou1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 08:02 PM

Note powering up a non domain virtual machine and will see how the shares work with my xbox account I have the devices connecting with.

Thanks.

Steve

#28 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 135815 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 08:20 PM

Let us know how you get on. Thanks.

#29 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 46377 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 10:48 PM

Sorry for the late reply but, if your items are transcoding from EMC that will only happen if the app was unable to directly access the file.  So this must be a network sharing issue.

#30 syarbrou1 OFFLINE  

syarbrou1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 06:19 PM

Sorry for the delay getting back.  Been out of town.  So I'm not sure how it happened or what happened since I removed and reinstalled Emby to try and fix the problem, but I repointed to my media using open shares and all seems good now.  Same shares I setup before and didn't change.  Not sure if somehow one of the beta updates caused an issue with where things were pointing at or if it was an update on the server but it's working again.  Happy but sad.  Figured at some point I need to move on from the XBox 360 but everytime I am about to any issues get fixed.

#31 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 135815 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 11:39 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users