Prefer software encoding over hardware

rechigo

cybergrimes

Why do you want to re-encode in a format that is requiring transcoding from that format in the first place?  Or is this more about Converting to the same codec?

No, I don't want to re-encode to the same format. I want to be able to decide when hardware encoding is used per codec. It's still going to be H264 out, as always.

If I have no hardware decoder selected for MPEG2, I want to also be able to have no hardware encoder for the H264 output. All CPU/software through the whole chain.

On the flip, if I have H265 decoding being done by the GPU I want to be able to then turn on H264 hardware encoding for that GPU decoded H265 content only.

Edited by cybergrimes
  • Like 1

cybergrimes

I tried to mock something up to give a visual idea, each codec gets its own encoder setting in addition to the decode.

In my example everything is software decode/encode except for H265 which is using GPU for both.

5dd359dca1429_Untitled.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
syadnom

No, I don't want to re-encode to the same format. I want to be able to decide when hardware encoding is used per codec. It's still going to be H264 out, as always.

If I have no hardware decoder selected for MPEG2, I want to also be able to have no hardware encoder for the H264 output. All CPU/software through the whole chain.

On the flip, if I have H265 decoding being done by the GPU I want to be able to then turn on H264 hardware encoding for that GPU decoded H265 content only.

I think that you're wanting a matrix of input codec > output code.  Ie, enable h.265 decoder and use h.265 encoder for output, but ONLY if the input was h.265.  If input is MPEG2, then software in > software out.

Now, I'm not sure why you'd only use hardware h.265 encoding if the input was h.265...

Also, not sure why you wouldn't prefer to do hardware decoding on everything.  

I get software encoding.  Lots of horsepower in that 3700x you have and software can look better and seems to fire up a video faster.  But for decoding I don't think software offers anything.

cybergrimes

I think that you're wanting a matrix of input codec > output code.  Ie, enable h.265 decoder and use h.265 encoder for output, but ONLY if the input was h.265.  If input is MPEG2, then software in > software out.

Now, I'm not sure why you'd only use hardware h.265 encoding if the input was h.265...

Also, not sure why you wouldn't prefer to do hardware decoding on everything.  

I get software encoding.  Lots of horsepower in that 3700x you have and software can look better and seems to fire up a video faster.  But for decoding I don't think software offers anything.

Forget about the decoding part.

I just want to be able to say "only use hardware encoding for X content type", in my case this is H265 content that I want re-encoded to H264 on the once a year chance an in law fires up my 4K copy of Harry Potter

For the other 99.99% of the time where it's H264 content, it can be done by the CPU

Edited by cybergrimes