Prefer software encoding over hardware

rechigo

rechigo

I think it would be a nice addition to be able to select whether you want to prefer software decoding over hardware decoding or vice versa. An example of this is I want to be able to select software encoding first, and if I have no more power left to software transcode due to the amount of transcoded streams, move to hardware transcoding.

• Like 1

rechigo

Yes, but there is no option to use CPU encoding over hardware encoding when hardware encoding is enabled

Happy2Play

Yes, but there is no option to use CPU encoding over hardware encoding when hardware encoding is enabled

Have you toggled the setting from "Yes" to "Advanced" you choose decoding and encoding options

Edited by Happy2Play

What is the difference between doing that and just turning it off?

if I have no more power left to software transcode due to the amount of transcoded streams, move to hardware transcoding.

^^This - I think...

However, I'm not sure why software is preferred over hardware so need more clarification on that.

rechigo

Because I would prefer to use software transcoding. Say I I'm transcoding a movie because the container isn't supported, but for X reason (e.x. too many streams being transcoded), the CPU isn't available so it will use my GPU to transcode

Happy2Play

So the opposite of what HWA already does.  But if your CPU is already overloaded your system is already in a struggling state.

rechigo

@@Happy2Play, there could be some sort of cap placed on the load with software transcoding. @@ebr, the reason is that x264 transcoding looks better than hardware transcoding

OK I understand. So essentially you want smart load balancing between all of the available options.

rechigo

Yes, I guess you could say that. Essentially I want to be able to be able to choose my "preferred" option for transcoding

Happy2Play

Yes, I guess you could say that. Essentially I want to be able to be able to choose my "preferred" option for transcoding

Still the wrong choice of word as you can already do the that.  You can choose software or hardware per the existing settings.

Guest asrequested

Still the wrong choice of word as you can already do the that.  You can choose software or hardware per the existing settings.

No it doesn't. It's hardware acceleration on or off. There is no way to choose software first, and fall back to hardware. The server is designed in the opposite way. Choose hardware and when that is maxed, fall back to software.

5d4f52a511a26_transcodeoption.jpg

Guest asrequested

My question is why?

Because software is always the best quality. All of the mpv devs always recommend using software over hardware. 

• Like 1

Happy2Play

Because software is always the best quality. All of the mpv devs always recommend using software over hardware. 

To me that is perspective as I can not see a difference in my encodes. To me if you prefer software there is no need for hardware.  As you have to throttle/limit cpu in order to force use of hardware with this suggestion. But I guess this still only applies to a specific hardware set of users.  As one transcode will max out the majority of users cpus..

Guest asrequested

To me that is perspective as I can not see a difference in my encodes. To me if you prefer software there is no need for hardware.  As you have to throttle/limit cpu in order to force use of hardware with this suggestion. But I guess this still only applies to a specific hardware set of users.  As one transcode will max out the majority of users cpus..

I don't disagree, but this is what he is requesting. In my case, my CPU can handle more than most GPUs.

• 3 months later...
cybergrimes

Maybe this isn't the most relevant thread but along these lines, I recently upgraded my CPU and can do software transcodes now except with H265 content... it's too close to the frame rate of the content so it can't build a buffer.

Right now I can turn on NVDEC for H265 only along with NVENC to H264 but that means I end up with software decode and NVENC for all of MPEG2, VC1 and H264 content. I want those to be software encoded.

Are there any plans to allow selecting hardware encoding per codec the way we do with decoding?

cybergrimes

The encoding options are done exactly the same was as decoding, so it should already be there.

As far as I've ever seen you can specify which hardware you want to encode with but not at a codec level... it's all or nothing.

Edited by cybergrimes

cybergrimes

Sure, its the same way it has been for a long time now.

Select the hardware you want to use for decoding specific codecs then select hardware you want to use for encoding everything. I want to say "use this hardware when re-encoding from this specific codec"

5dd32f8142f12_1.png

5dd32f8b4df88_2.png

Happy2Play

Why do you want to re-encode in a format that is requiring transcoding from that format in the first place?  Or is this more about Converting to the same codec?