Actors in Home Videos library

levander

levander

Clicking on people in detail screen of home video library doesn’t work. It supposed to show other videos related to the clicked person. It works in iOS and Mac server apps but not in ATV.

*wanted to post this in ATV test, not here...

Edited by levander
  • Like 1

levander

Hi, what does "doesn't work" mean?

Oh, I thought I was clear... here's the thing:

If you manually add name 'Luke' to any home videos library item it will show actor 'Luke' on detail screen of that same item (on iOS, Mac and ATV as well) but when you click on it it shows you empty 'Luke' actor's page, without videos featuring 'Luke'. But on Mac and iOS it works - it shows the videos featuring 'Luke'.

Also, if you instead manually add name 'Nicole Kidman' to any home video library item, or any name which is already in the database, clicking on it will show movies and TV shows but not that home video (again, on Mac and iOS it will show home videos as well).

• Like 2

Yeah, I'm sure this is just an oversight since home videos will almost never have actors assigned to them.

We'll look into it.

levander

Yeah, I'm sure this is just an oversight since home videos will almost never have actors assigned to them.

We'll look into it.

Yes but it can be very useful and it is already possible to edit metadata.

Thanks ebr!

BruinsBold

We'll look into it.

I have been struggling with this same issue for a while now. 

I have tried adding the Home Movies in as just regular Movies, but then the Mac Server and the Apple TV both force the 16:9 thumbnails into a scrunched up 2:3 movie poster size. I also tried adding them as Music Videos, and it seems that neither the Mac Server or the Apple TV will show Music Videos on an actors page.

It would be much easier if I could just categorize them as Home Movies and still be able to sort them by Actor on the Apple TV like I can on the Mac.

How does the web app compare?

But on Mac and iOS it works - it shows the videos featuring 'Luke'.

I've already created an issue for this in the app repo.

BruinsBold

How does the web app compare?

I've already created an issue for this in the app repo.

Please excuse the length of this post, but I thought it might be helpful if I illustrated the issue more clearly. Also I am pretty new to Emby so sorry if this isn't quite the right place for this.

First, lets start with a Home Videos & Photos Library which contains some example videos from SNL that all feature Bill Hader.

If I go to Bill Hader's actor page using the Emby Web App on my Mac that is running the Emby Server for this Library I see Bill's photo and a list of the videos for which he is listed as an actor.

7gbdhw8.png

On my iPhone, running the Emby app, Bill Hader's actor page also displays these same videos.

P5ksWem.png

Here is Bill's page on the iPad, also showing the same videos.

5o3cpD0.png

Unfortunately though, if we go to Bill's actor page on the Apple TV it is completely blank, and does not connect to any of the videos he is in.

7fbtMDc.jpg

Now, what if we delete this test Home Videos Library and instead add these same SNL videos to a Movies Library?

Bill's actor page on the Mac web app now shows all the "Movies" he is listed in, with the same thumbnail artwork as before, but the thumbnails are now being scrunched up to fit in a 2:3 Movie Poster format.

qkcwDuN.png

Here is Bill's actor page from the Movies Library on the iPhone. The "Movies" are displaying on Bill Hader's page just as before, but the artwork here is also messed up.

c0sTgVD.png

Same goes for the iPad

MerPp8E.png

On the Apple TV if we go to Bill Hader's page we can now see the "Movies" that he is listed in, but the artwork here is also wrong (though it is being cropped to 2:3 rather than scrunched).

QPIgxwb.jpg

We're not done however. Here is where things get really strange (and this may really be a separate issue that I need to post about some other place, please let me know).

If I follow the steps below I can actually get the thumbnail artwork for individual "Movies" to display properly without scrunching/cropping.

1. Click the options button for a "Movie"

GdeH1jA.png

2. Select "Edit images" for that movie on the options menu.

5k3TrMB.png

3. Exit the "Edit images" screen without making any changes to the image.

nE9Vmgb.png

As you can see from the images below from the Mac, iPhone, iPad and Apple TV, these steps (sort of ) fix the artwork for individual movies.

Mac:

2czHOfM.png

iPhone:

JcKhrBP.png

iPad:

NghHhJZ.png

Apple TV:

MK7Nfr3.jpg

You can see that the Apple TV is actually displaying the full size thumbnail now, while the other devices have shrunk the thumbnail within the 2:3 Movie Poster frame. (This is corrected on the other devices if all of the videos being displayed have had their thumbnails individually fixed. Then the full size thumbnail for all of the videos will be displayed just like on the Apple TV).

Here is the Mac web app after I completed the above "Edit Image" steps on all 4 "Movies".

jvXtfIb.png

The problem here is that the only way I have figured out how to get the thumbnails to display properly is to individually click "Edit Image" for every "Movie" in my Library. With thousands of videos that is very tedious and time consuming, but not impossible.

I did actually take the time to go through and fix every individual thumbnail for all my "Movies" when I first set up my Library. However, some update or something else that happened along that way completely undid all of my work, so now I would have to go through and fix them all manually AGAIN, which is definitely not worth it seeing as I have no way of knowing that it won't just break again.

Personally I don't care if my videos are categorized as "Home Videos" or "Movies" or really anything else as long they can be organized into folders/collections, they display using the full sized thumbnail image, and they can also be viewed based on the Actors which appear in them. Trying to find a way to have those 3 things has been an endlessly long, frustrating, and ultimately fruitless process.

Those aren't movies so setting them up in a movie library isn't the right way to go about it.  With movies we expect poster images (and lot's of other stuff that these won't have).

As I indicated, this is just an oversight in this app. We will add the videos to the actor page.