Manually assigning extras / extras behavior?

evewatchesstuff

evewatchesstuff

I'm one of those people whose organization isn't the best, in other words, not all of my films are nested in folders corresponding to their name, rather the files themselves are named.

Is it possible to 'assign' extras to a movie? That or does Emby not work like plex and will it allow me to create a folder say "Alien (1979)" put extras in there in an 'extras' folder and then match it to Alien.1979.BDRemux.mkv which was properly matched but isn't in a named subdirectory? 

Honestly I'd just like a way to manually assign a group of video files to a 'movie' as it's extras. I'd seriously pay for that (I already have premiere) 

I'd also like to know if theres' a way for me to make a 'big folder' of trailers and have them be used in the cinema mode instead of having them in respective movie folders. 

evewatchesstuff

Hi, you can't manually assign, but we do support sub-folders. Have you explored our movie extras naming guide?

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Movie-naming#movie-extras

Yeah no I get that but I'm wondering if like my main movie file isn't in a subfolder but I make a correctly named movie folder and name the extras right, put them in that folder, will it all work or? 

evewatchesstuff

Can  you go over an example? Thanks.

Say I have

"/Movies/MOVIENAME.MOVIEYEAR.RIPSPECIFICS.mkv"  - this gets matched just fine

I got some extras for it, they're in

"/Movies/MOVIENAME.MOVIEYEAR/extras/"

Can I get them to correspond to the bare movie file that isn't nested in a subdirectory? Due to the nature and size of my library it would be *very* impractical to create folders for the main movie files if they aren't already in one. 

evewatchesstuff

It's always possible for the future. Thanks.

So you're saying at the moment it's not possible?

Cool. Thanks! 

It would make a *huge* difference for me. Hell if someone even told me how to manually edit db files to do this, i'd be happy. Though admittedly, I probably have extras for 500+ movies. It might take some time.

I gotta say, you guys supporting BDMVs is wonderful for someone who appreciates extras. 

It's not possible at the moment no. It's definitely something we can consider, just keep in mind that I don't recall this ever coming up before so I'm not sure many users are doing extras this way.

blade005

Say I have

"/Movies/MOVIENAME.MOVIEYEAR.RIPSPECIFICS.mkv"  - this gets matched just fine

I got some extras for it, they're in

"/Movies/MOVIENAME.MOVIEYEAR/extras/"

Can I get them to correspond to the bare movie file that isn't nested in a subdirectory? Due to the nature and size of my library it would be *very* impractical to create folders for the main movie files if they aren't already in one. 

If your Main Movie is not placed in a separate folder and you don't want to change that, one option would be to consider naming your 'extras' for each movie with the same naming convention as the Main Movie and then append the filename with a proper description. This would basically treat the 'extras' as if there were different versions of the Main Movie and they would be available as a pull-down option when you are in the Main Movie detail screen.

Something like below and as described in the Multi-Version Movies section of the Wiki.  https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Movie%20naming

Main Movie: MOVIENAME.MOVIEYEAR.RIPSPECIFICS.mkv

Digital Extras: MOVIENAME.MOVIEYEAR.RIPSPECIFICS - Digital Extras.mkv

Deleted Scenes: MOVIENAME.MOVIEYEAR.RIPSPECIFICS - Deleted Scenes.mkv

This should give you a listing of the Main Movie in the detail screen with a pull down option that would list the Digital Extras and Deleted Scenes.

Not a perfect solution, but perhaps a work around if creating folders for individual movies and then including an extras folder is not an option.