ET Transcoding ??

AdrianW

AdrianW

Just logged into the web UI to see this:

5d3ecd14ef0b9_ETtranscoding.jpg

A bit of a shock as I've never had that before. Especially considering ET and the server are all on the same PC. What's going on?

Here's the server log & here's the ET log.

I tried re-playing the same episode and this time it Direct Played - so it's a bit weird. My wife did say that when she started playing the episode that it seemed to jump back to the beginning.

Edited by AdrianW

vdatanet

Maybe is transcoding because of the subtitles. Transcode log can explain that.

AdrianW

Transcode log.

My wife watches heaps of stuff with subs (all external .srt) and I've never seen this happen before. Also, after exiting and restarting ET, then playing the exact same episode and it direct played.

Hopefully it was a one-time glitch, but it'd be interesting to find out why it occurred. 

I've never used Emby connect. This is watching inside the same network, on the same PC as the server. 

Here's an early transcode log - where it ran for a couple of seconds. That must be when she saw it jump back to the beginning and start over.

Edited by AdrianW

vdatanet

TranscodeReasons=ContainerBitrateExceedsLimit

Maybe your bitrate is set to "Auto", I've seen since I've updated my server to 4.2.x "Auto" bitrate calculation is very conservative, maybe if you set a higher bitrate it stops transcoding.

Edited by vdatanet
  • Like 1

AdrianW

Maybe your bitrate is set to "Auto"

Yes, I've always had it set to auto as that's the default and I've never had issues.

I just checked the available settings and there's a bunch of newer higher bandwidth ones - I'll just set it to the max available 4K - 120Mbs.

I checked the episode that had the issue and video + audio was only 3158kbps.

AdrianW

Did you explore the server dashboard to learn why it was transcoding?

No - I didn't realise that information was available. I just set the network quality down to a ridiculous level and noticed the "i" icon. I'll be sure to click that if I see the issue again.

vdatanet

Yes, I've always had it set to auto as that's the default and I've never had issues.

I just checked the available settings and there's a bunch of newer higher bandwidth ones - I'll just set it to the max available 4K - 120Mbs.

I checked the episode that had the issue and video + audio was only 3158kbps.

Since version 4.2.x I have to set the bitrate to max available. I use to get values of 1.5, testing now:

5d3f11396c599_Anotacin20190729173026.jpg

I have 600/600 Mbps at server side, 500/500 Mbps at client side, and latency is very low on both sides. If I set a higher bitrate there's no problem. Something must be wrong with the "Auto" calculation.

Edit.- I have to say I've only found this issue on remote connections. Tonight at home will do some test with local connections.

Edited by vdatanet

Guest asrequested

With the server on the same machine as Theater, bandwidth should never be considered. If it happens repeatedly, that's a bug. And subs should also never be an issue.

• Like 1

AdrianW

With the server on the same machine as Theater, bandwidth should never be considered. If it happens repeatedly, that's a bug. And subs should also never be an issue.

Well, so far it's only been that one time - although it's possible that I've missed it previously, I suppose. 

There were only those 2 transcode log files in the logs folder - but that does seems to be purged quite frequently as the files only go back 3 days. And most of the files in there are "hardware_detection" files (78 out of 85).

AdrianW

Having said that, if your storage is network attached, then that would be a consideration.

Yes the storage is on a NAS - but it still doesn't make sense as it has to transfer the full file down to the server to transcode it anyway. And if it can do that, then it can feed ET directly.

Guest asrequested

Yes the storage is on a NAS - but it still doesn't make sense as it has to transfer the full file down to the server to transcode it anyway. And if it can do that, then it can feed ET directly.

This actually isn't a new issue. A long time ago I chose to always set my LAN bandwidth to 4K 120, because of this. I had it happen repeatedly. And I have a 10G network with DAC SFP+ cables. I don't leave anything on auto anymore.

Edited by Doofus

vdatanet

I second the advice, do not use Auto in the bandwidth limit.