Transcoding DVD

arrbee99

arrbee99

Was just watching on the dashboard Emby transcoding our rip of the Up DVD while its being watched remotely on Emby Theater. Am wondering if it should be transcoding and if so what I should do to get that, and other DVD rips, to direct play.

Hopefully I haven't asked this before...

5d3d02fe9e237_EmbyTheaterUpDVDTranscodin

5d3d03d80beb2_EmbyTheaterUpDVDTranscodin

5d3d03ec00959_EmbyTheaterUpDVDTranscodin

Do you reckon its a Subs thing again ? Do I just need to tell them to turn Subs off ?

Edited by arrbee99

arrbee99

Hokay. I guess I could run this kind of stuff through mkvtoolnix and get rid of pointless subs...

arrbee99

mpv should be able to play that. It's probably your upload bandwidth.

Unlikely, I've got 1000down/500up, they should have at least 100down. Is that megabits per sec or megabytes ? well, you get the idea.

arrbee99

Its an mkv file, so I presume that means yes. Think it plays OK, just hoping to get it to direct play, which my blurays do, though they've all been through Handbrake and had unnecessary stuff (audio/subs) removed. Like I say, I should try removing surplus stuff from this as well but thought I'd enquire for any hints here first.

Did you explore the server dashboard or the video player stats to learn why it is transcoding?

arrbee99

Did you explore the server dashboard or the video player stats to learn why it is transcoding?

I just posted relevant stuff in the top post.

Did forget to click on the 'i' on the server dashboard though and its too late now, they're watching The Incredibles, which is a bluray and direct plays.

Now that I remember, I do have some versions of these DVDs which I've compressed (and cut down on languages and subs) which I can try here, assuming they behave the same played locally in Theater vs remotely in Theater. That'll have to be later though...

Guest asrequested

Something wrong here. It's burning the subs in when it doesn't need to.

Stream mapping:
  Stream #0:0 (mpeg2video) -> overlay:main
  Stream #0:5 (dvdsub) -> scale
  overlay -> Stream #0:0 (h264_qsv)
  Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (copy)

Unless there's something wrong with the Emby mpv build? I don't use it. I'll have to test one of my portables....

Edited by Doofus

Nothing is wrong. His server dashboard and stats feature of the video player will indicate why it is transcoding.

Guest asrequested

Well, I've tried multiple ways to make it do anything but play directly, and it won't :) 

The reason given is:

TranscodeReasons=ContainerBitrateExceedsLimit

Sooooo, internet bandwidth.... 

arrbee99

I guess it could be. Media info for Up (DVD) gives about 8400kbps and The Incredibles (compressed BR) is about 8000kbps, so that bit extra could be significant.

As I said we both should have pretty good internet and I just get the impression it transcodes for DVDs and direct plays for blurays when remote playing. But it'll probably take a while to spot a pattern as son No. 1 (the remote player) is pretty far away and only an occasional user. Will have to check it out the next time I spot him playing a DVD rip.

Guest asrequested

I guess it could be. Media info for Up (DVD) gives about 8400kbps and The Incredibles (compressed BR) is about 8000kbps, so that bit extra could be significant.

As I said we both should have pretty good internet and I just get the impression it transcodes for DVDs and direct plays for blurays when remote playing. But it'll probably take a while to spot a pattern as son No. 1 (the remote player) is pretty far away and only an occasional user. Will have to check it out the next time I spot him playing a DVD rip.

It has nothing to do with being DVD. I just tested playing mine on my phone with LTE. With it set to auto it transcoded. Then I changed it to 10 Mb/s, and it direct played. The Android app is using mpv. Edited by Doofus

vdatanet

Auto usually fails to me. I don't know how the application calculates the available bandwidth. I have 600 Mbps Up / Down on the server side and 500/500 Mbps on the client side. Auto usually limit the bandwidth to 2.5 - 4 Mb/s and transcoding is firing. However, if I indicate the maximum bitrate manually, I have no problem and it direct plays.

Edited by vdatanet

Guest asrequested

It might be latency. Maybe when the server runs its test, it hits higher latency and chooses a safe bandwidth? It does seem extreme in your case, though.

vdatanet

I have 10 ms of internet latency on both sides. On a remote connection the automatic bitrate detection is very very very conservative.