Some items will not add to collections

maximumentropy

maximumentropy

Server version:  4.2.0.40

Logs:  Available upon request

I have some items that will not add to any collections.  I locate the item (movie or TV show) in the library or by searching, click the checkbox in the web interface, Choose "Add to collection", then either choose an existing collection or type a new collection name, then click Ok.  For affected media items, it is not added to the collection.  If a new collection was being created, it is created without any new media items in it.

For unaffected media items, the item is added without issue.

I can't figure out any rhyme or reason to which items are affected.  The only thing they seem to have in common is that they were all previously in a "To Watch" collection and then vanished from there some time ago (maybe 6-12 months).

I saw that some collection fixes were being planned for the latest 4.2.0.40 release, so I waited until now to report it.  After upgrading this morning, I'm still seeing this problem.  As far as I know, none of the affected items are "multiple version" media items.

Thanks!

maximumentropy

1.  Here I locate and select a movie which is affected:

5d3b2e2403bff_1.jpg

2. Here I enter the name of a new collection:

5d3b2e468f6f7_2.jpg

3:  After clicking Ok I see the item in the new collection (this step doesn't happen if adding to an existing collection):

5d3b2e999cb52_3.jpg

4. I click the browser refresh button and see that the collection is actually empty despite the previous display:

5d3b2ecfbb0bf_4.jpg

5. Navigating to my Collections list, the newly added "Example Collection" is entirely missing since it was a new collection and didn't contain other existing items:

5d3b2f95612f0_5.jpg

blade005

Server version:  4.2.0.40

Logs:  Available upon request

I have some items that will not add to any collections.  I locate the item (movie or TV show) in the library or by searching, click the checkbox in the web interface, Choose "Add to collection", then either choose an existing collection or type a new collection name, then click Ok.  For affected media items, it is not added to the collection.  If a new collection was being created, it is created without any new media items in it.

For unaffected media items, the item is added without issue.

I can't figure out any rhyme or reason to which items are affected.  The only thing they seem to have in common is that they were all previously in a "To Watch" collection and then vanished from there some time ago (maybe 6-12 months).

I saw that some collection fixes were being planned for the latest 4.2.0.40 release, so I waited until now to report it.  After upgrading this morning, I'm still seeing this problem.  As far as I know, none of the affected items are "multiple version" media items.

Thanks!

I have not encountered this issue recently, but I have in the past.

Item would just not show in the Collection selected or a NEW one created. The odd thing was that the collection.xml file created had the correct path to the item. I tried removing the item from my collection, scanning the library to remove it and then adding it back in with the same result. If I remember correctly, the only way to get it to show in a collection was to either move it to another folder in my library that created a new path or to change the name of the file to alter the original path and name (i.e. append with 1080p) to the end of the media file. Once the original path, file name and/or both were changed then it would get added to a collection and display. Even then, if I tried to return the item to the original path and name it would no longer show in the Collection.

FYI. I recently performed a fresh install of Emby Server 4.1 and let it create a new library.db file. I was having issues with duplicate actors and thought it was a good time to rebuild the library since it was one that had migrated from early version 3 and then to 4. I backed up my Collection folder and moved it over to the new install. This was about a week ago and since then no issues with duplicate actors and after seeing your post I went back to a known item that I had to rename to get it to show in a collection. I was able to rename it to the original filename and Emby Server registered the change and I was able to add it back to the collection with success. Emby Server updated to 4.2.0.40 today and Collections still seem to be displaying as expected.

Edited by blade005

PenkethBoy

Yes i see this as well

My suspicion is that its database related - as the ones i have checked that wont add to a collection at some point were Multi version movies - this may not cover all reasons why as there could be more than one cause

it appears the database is not cleaned properly when a movie goes from being multi version back to single version - and this somehow prevents collections working

it appears the database is not cleaned properly when a movie goes from being multi version back to single version - and this somehow prevents collections working

Is this repeatable?

Happy2Play

Performed the same steps in post 4 and was not able to reproduce.  But do see a database cleanup issue (Cars set) was removed (additional test items with periods in name).

5d40d8d481f6c_collection.jpg

5d40d8e735090_db.jpg

Removed the three Cars Movies and AdditionalParts remained in database.

5d40d922c1fcc_db2.jpg

Once I figured out how to remove those two entries as they are linked to other tables, the collection groups properly.  So overall the issue I just tested is a database cleanup issue sort of specific to a specific OS.  But I know there are endless scenarios.  I would assume a new installation would not see these issue.

Edited by Happy2Play

PenkethBoy

Happy - what did you do to get over the linked table issue you mentioned?

I assume this was when you tried to manually delete the left over records?

This is not anything to do with an old db - a new install does not fix it

Happy2Play

Happy - what did you do to get over the linked table issue you mentioned?

I assume this was when you tried to manually delete the left over records?

This is not anything to do with an old db - a new install does not fix it

First looked at the MediaItems to see the ID then deleted that ID from ItemLinks and ListItems, then MediaItems for the additionalparts items. 

Happy2Play

Period in the title, the filename, or both?

Just in the filename.

Those were test files I was testing the beta.  I didn't see a issue when I did a new database or after the manual database edit.

Edited by Happy2Play

• 4 months later...
jhoff80

I think maybe I'm running into this same issue.  I've got a Deadpool collection with TMDB ID 448150.  Both Deadpool 1 and Deadpool 2 have their metadata show that collection.  Deadpool 1 is the only one to properly show in the collection, whether I use Auto Box Sets or manually add Deadpool 2 to the collection.  I've got multiple versions of Deadpool 2 however, the standard cut (now named as "Deadpool 2 (2018) - Theatrical Edition.mkv") and the PG-13 / Once Upon a Deadpool version ("Deadpool 2 (2018) - Once Upon a Deadpool.mkv").  In the past, I'm sure I previously had the standard version as "Deadpool 2 (2018).mkv", so it seems like maybe this weird database issue is the cause.

Is manual database editing still the only way to fix this?  (I'm on 4.3.1.0 for what it's worth).

jhoff80

No, it was probably at least six months ago. The collection for them has been broken the whole time, just I forgot about it until someone pointed it out again.

Happy2Play

If it is a database issue then the only way to fix will be a New folder and library, or altering the filename so it appears to Emby as a new item.  Or if you are willing to poke around in the database to try and fix, but ensure you have a backup of the database before you do any editing.

• Like 1

jhoff80

That seems to have fixed it.  I moved the folder to a temp folder, deleted any metadata files in that folder, and renamed the folder / files before moving it back to my movies folder (removing the year was the easiest way to do this part, even if it bugs me a little that one movie is different in its file structure I suppose I'll have to live with that  :D ).  Now it shows up fine in the collection it's supposed to.

I went from:

Movies\Deadpool 2 (2018)\Deadpool 2 (2018) - Theatrical Edition.mkv

Movies\Deadpool 2 (2018)\Deadpool 2 (2018) - Once Upon a Deadpool.mkv

to:

Movies\Deadpool 2\Deadpool 2 - Theatrical Edition.mkv

Movies\Deadpool 2\Deadpool 2 - Once Upon a Deadpool.mkv

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I appear to also have this issue running with AutoBoxSets or trying to add it manually. If I try to add manually, it will say that it has been added, but upon refreshing the collection it will not show it being added.

Unfortunately, there appears to be quite a lot of collections missing one or two items so it is not possible for me to manually find and rename them all. Hopefully a vacuum or something of the db will fix it. I will also try refreshing metadata for all the libraries.

Edited by ezzah

kaledi

I have this same issue and it also means that movies that don't appear in collections cannot be added to playlists

• 2 weeks later...

As far as I can see the only options suggested is to either:

1) Recreate your library from scratch

2) Move every video that is impacted to a new folder (this requires knowing a full list of those effected which at least for me I don't)

3) Poke in the db and remove remaining stuff that is also difficult because I don't know the full list of impacted videos

Unless I got any of those wrong, I don't think there's a good solution to the problem without just wiping and starting again

Edited by ezzah

Happy2Play

As far as I can see the only options suggested is to either:

1) Recreate your library from scratch

2) Move every video that is impacted to a new folder (this requires knowing a full list of those effected which at least for me I don't)

3) Poke in the db and remove remaining stuff that is also difficult because I don't know the full list of impacted videos

Unless I got any of those wrong, I don't think there's a good solution to the problem without just wiping and starting again

Correct if you rename a item or move to a new folder and it works, you can pretty much guarantee it is a database issue. So if a DB issue option 1 usually produces the same broken results as users will just apply the same path and not all the old paths are removed from the DB.