External hard drive not recognized

phydeaux24
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

mastrmind11

Yes, the subfolders for new folders in both /Movies and /Tv Shows do not have the same permissions as /Movies or /Tv Shows.  For whatever reason though all the tv shows in the new sub folders are being populated yet movies are not.

thus the problem, and why i asked.  figure out a) why this is happening, and/or B)  set up the proper permissions either via the app you're using to find this media or via ACL settings on the os.

phydeaux24

thus the problem, and why i asked.  figure out a) why this is happening, and/or B)  set up the proper permissions either via the app you're using to find this media or via ACL settings on the os.

I'd like to go with option A.  It just doesn't make sense to me why tv shows are populating and movies are not.

mastrmind11

I'd like to go with option A.  It just doesn't make sense to me why tv shows are populating and movies are not.

ok so as a temp fix just do a chown -R at the root of your movies and set the owner to whatever your tv shows are.  see if they show up in emby then.  assuming that fixes the problem, whatever app you're using to get the tv shows needs to be configured to set the permissions upon download/move.  

phydeaux24

ok so as a temp fix just do a chown -R at the root of your movies and set the owner to whatever your tv shows are.  see if they show up in emby then.  assuming that fixes the problem, whatever app you're using to get the tv shows needs to be configured to set the permissions upon download/move.  

That's what I've been doing as a patch but it STILL doesn't answer the question.  Why should I have to if tv shows folder has the EXACT same ownership and permissions but is being discovered just fine?

mastrmind11

That's what I've been doing as a patch but it STILL doesn't answer the question.  Why should I have to if tv shows folder has the EXACT same ownership and permissions but is being discovered just fine?

because emby also cares what permissions individual files have.  files don't automatically inherit root folder permissions just because they're in the folder.  you have to explicitly tell them to if that's what you want.

phydeaux24

because emby also cares what permissions individual files have.  files don't automatically inherit root folder permissions just because they're in the folder.  you have to explicitly tell them to if that's what you want.

But the question still remains.  Why is it populating tv shows and not movies?  Both sub folders have the EXACT same permissions.

Q-Droid

But the question still remains. Why is it populating tv shows and not movies? Both sub folders have the EXACT same permissions.

Are the TV shows and movies coming from the same source? Are they owned by the same user?

mastrmind11

again, it has nothing to do w/ folder permissions.  the folder can be emby:emby but if the files in that folder are owned by a user or group that emby doesn't have access to, they won't be viewable.  the files themselves need to have proper permissions.  as I said earlier, whatever is putting the files in the folders needs to be configured to change the files to proper permissions, or, you can look into ACLs (also mentioned earlier).

• 11 months later...
Guest MPG
1 hour ago, mastrmind11 said:

what?

I have an external drive with movie files, when selecting the folder in EMBY to choose from library files i get "The path could not be found. Please ensure the path is valid and try again." 

mastrmind11
5 minutes ago, Guest MPG said:

I have an external drive with movie files, when selecting the folder in EMBY to choose from library files i get "The path could not be found. Please ensure the path is valid and try again." 

that means your permissions are wrong.  search the forum and/or google specifically pertaining to external drives.  once you've tried a tutorial or 2, come back here, start a new thread, tell us what you've tried and what you've found, and we can go from there.  without sitting next to you at your computer, there's nothing that can be done with that little information.

• 8 months later...
Joevaen3
On 7/30/2019 at 5:20 AM, Luke said:

Thanks for the feedback.

Hi,

I encountered the same question on ubuntu. My library folder in my mobile hdd has supreme authority but emby still can't find it, even can't find the mobile hdd.

Do you have some solutions?

On 4/22/2021 at 6:21 AM, Joevaen3 said:

Hi,

I encountered the same question on ubuntu. My library folder in my mobile hdd has supreme authority but emby still can't find it, even can't find the mobile hdd.

Do you have some solutions?

Hi there, have you taken a look at our file permissions guide, to ensure emby server has access to the folder?