External hard drive not recognized

phydeaux24
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

phydeaux24

I'm new to Emby so please take it easy on me.  Fresh install of Emby on Linux Mint Tessa.  All my media is stored on an external 4tb drive.  When trying to add a folder Emby simply doesn't see the drive.  I can navigate to and play my media just fine from file manager.  Am I missing something here?

phydeaux24

Hi, did you try to enter the path to the drive manually?

Sure did:

The path could not be found. Please ensure the path is valid and try again.

It sounds like emby server does not have read permission to the drive. Did you check permissions for the emby user?

• Solution

When emby server is installed it creates an emby user on your machine, so the emby user will need permission to this location. What are the current permissions of the drive?

• Like 1

mastrmind11

@@mastrmind11 How would I go about doing that?  Apparently you're going to need to get out the crayons, this may be a long thread. 

ok lets start with the basics.  navigate to the root your media folder via the command interface and type ls -l.  this will output the directories and the owner of the folders/files.

phydeaux24

What was the solution?

chmod -R a+rx /media/jeff/Media Storage

works like a champ but now I have a separate issue where Emby is not finding new movies I add to the library.  It picks up music and tv shows just fine, all stored on the same /Media Server drive. 

mastrmind11

chmod -R a+rx /media/jeff/Media Storage

works like a champ but now I have a separate issue where Emby is not finding new movies I add to the library.  It picks up music and tv shows just fine, all stored on the same /Media Server drive. 

Well, what permission do the new files have?  chmod is a 1 time action, so you'd have to change the new files to the proper permissions every time you add a new one.  Or, do some ACL tweaking like this https://askubuntu.com/questions/626841/any-way-to-force-files-to-inherit-owner-permissions-from-parent-directory

phydeaux24

Well, what permission do the new files have?  chmod is a 1 time action, so you'd have to change the new files to the proper permissions every time you add a new one.  Or, do some ACL tweaking like this https://askubuntu.com/questions/626841/any-way-to-force-files-to-inherit-owner-permissions-from-parent-directory

Looking into the ACL stuff now.  It still doesn't explain why tv shows are populating just fine but movies aren't.

mastrmind11

Looking into the ACL stuff now.  It still doesn't explain why tv shows are populating just fine but movies aren't.

Well, where are the files coming from?

phydeaux24

@@mastrmind11 SABnzbd creates a job folder for each new movie.  For tv shows SABnzbd creates job and season folders.  Both movie and tv show parent folders are located in /media/jeff/Media Storage.

mastrmind11

Unfortunately no.

Of course it does.  I had a feeling this is what you were up to which is why I asked :)

Check this out https://sabnzbd.org/wiki/advanced/unix-permissions

if, for whatever reason, you truly are running a version of sab that doesn't have this feature, you can also accomplish what you want with ACLs:  https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/115631/getting-new-files-to-inherit-group-permissions-on-linux/401751

Edited by mastrmind11

phydeaux24

@@mastrmind11 I found and set the permissions in SAB for my media/jeff/Media Storage/Complete folder (where my nzbtomedia script points).  Unfortunately I have a different folder set for movies in the categories section. 

ACL seems to be the way to go, I just need help binding the mount for my external to fstab.  That reads like greek to me. 

Lastly, even if i manage the ACL work around it STILL doesn't answer the question of why Emby is finding tv shows and not movies.  I haven't touched squat with the /media/jeff/Media Storage/Tv Shows/Whatever Show/Season Folder permissions.  When the tv show folders get created they have the EXACT user, group, and permissions as the new movie folders but they populate just fine.  This leads me to believe that yes, we might find a way to solve the symptom but no, we haven't addressed the problem. 

mastrmind11

@@mastrmind11 I found and set the permissions in SAB for my media/jeff/Media Storage/Complete folder (where my nzbtomedia script points).  Unfortunately I have a different folder set for movies in the categories section. 

ACL seems to be the way to go, I just need help binding the mount for my external to fstab.  That reads like greek to me. 

Lastly, even if i manage the ACL work around it STILL doesn't answer the question of why Emby is finding tv shows and not movies.  I haven't touched squat with the /media/jeff/Media Storage/Tv Shows/Whatever Show/Season Folder permissions.  When the tv show folders get created they have the EXACT user, group, and permissions as the new movie folders but they populate just fine.  This leads me to believe that yes, we might find a way to solve the symptom but no, we haven't addressed the problem. 

are your tv and movies on the same drive?  same mount point?  also, does the root folder or your tv shows have the same permission as the root folder of your movies?  Since you're pointing emby to the root, if emby doesn't have access to the root, it won't have access to anything underneath.

phydeaux24

are your tv and movies on the same drive?  same mount point?  also, does the root folder or your tv shows have the same permission as the root folder of your movies?  Since you're pointing emby to the root, if emby doesn't have access to the root, it won't have access to anything underneath.

@@mastrmind11 Movies and tv folders are on the same drive, same mount point, and same permissions.  That is what is baffling me.

phydeaux24

Have you checked the permissions of the sub-folders within?

Yes, the subfolders for new folders in both /Movies and /Tv Shows do not have the same permissions as /Movies or /Tv Shows.  For whatever reason though all the tv shows in the new sub folders are being populated yet movies are not.