Unable to connect via Remote (LAN/WAN) Clients

denethor

denethor

It actually isn't failing to connect, right?  You are getting 404s...

Yes looks like that way. But obviously I cannot see any of my content in clients. But I just noticed minute ago strangely enough I can search my library! But I cannot go into details or play items from search results. Just can see the results with poster images.

denethor

Yes looks like that way. But obviously I cannot see any of my content in clients. But I just noticed minute ago strangely enough I can search my library! But I cannot go into details or play items from search results. Just can see the results with poster images.

Ok I installed 2 virtual machines on my notebook. (WMware Fusion 6.03) VM IP addresses assigned by my router. Not NATed within hypervisor they all got 192.168.1.x from routers DHCP pool.

One of them is Windows 8.1 one them is Widows 7. I installed MBS 3.0.5238 on both machines. Windows 8.1 version failed with same errors. But MBS on Windows 7 one is working perfectly!

Now I'm trying with windows 8.0 will let you know the result.

Edited by denethor

Beardyname

What edition of windows ? I just tested it out here on my windows 8.1 Pro, and tried to connect with MBT from another machine in the house. Worked here

Edited by Beardyname

denethor

What edition of windows ? I just tested it out here on my windows 8.1 Pro, and tried to connect with MBT from another machine in the house. Worked here

I'm on Pro edition.

In the mean time I've completed my setup with Windows 8.0 VM.

It "was" also working. But I discovered something really messed up. While I was comparing my Firewall setups  (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Windows Firewall)  I just noticed that there was only one type of Network for Firewall on working Windows 8.0 test machine.

But on non-working scenarios there was 3: Public, Private, Domain. So I decided to digg further and ended up with this link. After changing my Network type to "Private" MBS on that Windows 8.0 machine is no longer working! I could not make it work again no mather what I do!

System Restore solved it...

And I discovered that there is no way to completeley get rid of the Windows Firewall on Windows 8.x. Turning off Firewall changes nothing. Disabling it via Services just blocks all incoming connections including ping, RDP. Service should be running all the time for Win8.x working properly.

For those who brave enough and have problem free Windows 8.1/MBS setup: Could you please test to change your Network location according to above link and see what happens.

WARNING: This may break all your MBS connectivity. I suggest you to have System Restore Point before testing.

Edited by denethor

Koleckai Silvestri

Hmm.. I am using Windows 7 64-bit Professional here. I know a lot of people are using Windows 8 and 8.1 without problem. Hopefully one of them can help more.

Beardyname

Yeah sure, I have 3 profiles as well and have had so since w7

*edit* Mine was already on Private, should i switch it to public ? Also why would you not have it on private since It is probably an home computer ?

Edited by Beardyname

denethor

Yeah sure, I have 3 profiles as well and have had so since w7

*edit* Mine was already on Private, should i switch it to public ? Also why would you not have it on private since It is probably an home computer ?

No, It was already private on my test VM. I just switched it to public and than back to Private via registry to test. After that MBS stops serving remote clients.

On my production server which is topics original target has different story: As you may already now after Windows 8.x, Windows stopped  asking to user "What type of network is this" Remember good old days Windows 7 asks if the network is Home, Public, Work?

Instead It tries to determine network type. And "Network Location Awareness" service has vanished. Now there is Public, Private and Domain networks. There is no real way to change it in the user interface. Only thing you can do is on first connect You can either choose "Yes turn on sharing and connect devices" or "No do not turn on". You can make that choice later on by right clicking to network connection:

9366d1349495898t-network-location-set-pr

By the way looks like above right click menu is not available for ethernet connections only for Wifi...

Since I was not able to connect default shares on my Windows 8.1 box previously (c$, admin$) I had to do some registry changes on my Network locations. I think my network locations just messed up and now I' m having a hard time to solve it :(

Edited by denethor

Beardyname

No, It was already private on my test VM. I just switched it to public and than back to Private via registry to test. After that MBS stops serving remote clients.

On my production server which is topics original target has different story: As you may already now after Windows 8.x, Windows stopped  asking to user "What type of network is this" Remember good old days Windows 7 asks if the network is Home, Public, Work?

Instead It tries to determine network type. And "Network Location Awareness" service has vanished. Now there is Public, Private and Domain networks. There is no real way to change it in the user interface. Only thing you can do is on first connect You can either choose "Yes turn on sharing and connect devices" or "No do not turn on". You can make that choice later on by right clicking to network connection:

By the way looks like above right click menu is not available for ethernet connections only for Wifi...

Since I was not able to connect default shares on my Windows 8.1 box previously (c$, admin$) I had to do some registry changes on my Network locations. I think my network locations just messed up and now I' m having a hard time to solve it :(

Yeah but there is a slider around the same location that will change your Network thing between Public/Private

I flipped mine around a bit and saw the thing change from Private to Public, so far seems to not make a difference. aka everything is working still.

53871078e1902_Untitled.png

Also did you make sure to allow MBS on both public and private in the windows firewall ? I know you probably have checked but I figured it could not hurt to ask :)

Edited by Beardyname

denethor

Also did you make sure to allow MBS on both public and private in the windows firewall ? I know you probably have checked but I figured it could not hurt to ask :)

Yes checked it once again. All rules applied to all profiles and even there are multiple rules to allow same connections. i.e. there are some per port rules, per application.exe rules or per port range rules.

Despite the fact there are some evidences realated to IP connectivity I'm still hard to believe that problem is on that level :) As I mentioned multiple times client can reach to server @port 8096, sends some request and server replies with 404. So there must be some leads at Application layer.

denethor

Does anybody using SMB shares for server internal file locations:

I mean like this:

Cache: \\west\Downloads\mb3\cache

Images by name: \\west\Downloads\mb3\images

Logs: C:\Users\....\logs

Metadata: \\west\Downloads\mb3\metadata

Transcoding temporary files: C:\Users\....\transcoding-temp

Yes, those file paths should be fine.

Indicating a network is "Public" is going to lock down a whole bunch of stuff at the Windows level.  Do you have any additional security components in your network?

denethor

Yes, those file paths should be fine.

Indicating a network is "Public" is going to lock down a whole bunch of stuff at the Windows level.  Do you have any additional security components in your network?

No I do not have any. Even Windows Defender is disabled. And current network profile is "Private"

Koleckai Silvestri

Your network profile should be private. Public is for bus stops and coffee shops.

denethor

Your network profile should be private. Public is for bus stops and coffee shops.

I do not know what makes you think it was public guys but it is ofcourse Private.

How do you think that I can access to my servers port 8096 with Safari Browser but can not with iOS or MBHT client from the same device if it is Public?

Let me remind you again;

WEB Interface on Safari working -including streaming- on my iPhone but the App does not, on same iPhone.

WEB Interface on Safari, Chrome, IE is working -including streaming- on my Windows PCs but Media Browser Home Theater does not on the same PCs

Edited by denethor

Koleckai Silvestri

Was just reiterating a fact. Are you running your virtual machines under OSX?

denethor

Was just reiterating a fact. Are you running your virtual machines under OSX?

Nope. My original (lets say production) MBS running on Mac Pro with Bootcamped Windows 8.1 nothing is Virtual.

Yesterday i was just clean installed Windows 8.1, Windows 8.0 and Windows 7 on my MacBook Pro with Vmware Fusion. Those were virtual machines. I was testing multiple clean installed operating systems to see the how MBS behaves on different environments. And that test showed me that Windows 7 is %100 problem free with MBS.

denethor

I think I found it! You have a bug with Turkish Locale. After comparing tons of request comes from local vs. remote I finally noticed the difference.

Working sample request from local:

http://localhost:8096/mediabrowser/Users/3eff8a317d0ecf2ca565029f7516f357/Items?SortBy=PremiereDate&sortOrder=Descending&SeriesStatuses=&fields=PrimaryImageAspectRatio,DateCreated,MediaStreams,Taglines,Genres,Overview,DisplayPreferencesId&Filters=&ImageTypes=&VideoTypes=&AirDays=&recursive=True&MediaTypes=&Genres=&Ids=&Studios=&ExcludeItemTypes=&IncludeItemTypes=Movie&Artists=&PersonTypes=&Years=&format=json

Non working sample request from iOS

http://192.168.1.10:8096/mediabrowser/users/3eff8a317d0ecf2ca565029f7516f357/items?SortBy=DatePlayed&SortOrder=Descending&IncludeItemTypes=Movie,Episode,Audio&Filters=IsResumable&Limit=1&Recursive=true&Fields=PrimaryImageAspectRatio,DateCreated,UserData,MediaStreams,Genres&format=json

Just notice the 2 tiny difference. In working example user is Users (capital U) and item is Items with capital I. Obviously replacing U made no difference but in Turkish we have some complications with I in our locale. We have:

I: Capital ı without dot.

İ: Captical i with dot.

i: regular i.

ı: and i without a dot :)

Once I replace the non working request with capital I(tems); request just magically worked!

http://192.168.1.10:8096/mediabrowser/users/3eff8a317d0ecf2ca565029f7516f357/Items?SortBy=DatePlayed&SortOrder=Descending&IncludeItemTypes=Movie,Episode,Audio&Filters=IsResumable&Limit=1&Recursive=true&Fields=PrimaryImageAspectRatio,DateCreated,UserData,MediaStreams,Genres&format=json

So what now? Safest path is send all i as I from every application for us :)

EDIT: I confirmed the bug by changing the System Locale of my server to United States (English). All remote apps started to work.

Edited by denethor

• 11 months later...
mukunku

Denethor Tebrikler!

Very keen observations on your part. I too was experiencing this issue where immediately after I installed emby server and the android app (for the first time mind you) I encountered the Server Unreachable error. Thankfully I didn't give up then and there. A quick review of the logs and a google search led me here.

Changing my locale to USA solved the issue for me as well. I've encountered the dotless i ("ı") problem before in Rogue Legacy and MS Dynamics CRM. So even Microsoft made this mistake where if you install MS CRM in Turkish it doesn't work properly out of the box (due to DB collation) :)

Anyway, another bump by me on this thread; Dear developers, you might be losing possible Turkish users because of this.

Regards.

Edited by mukunku
  • Like 1