Missing Posters

flakie

flakie

I have just over 300 movies in my movies library.

I had many more than this before installing Emby  but had a major cull (of all avi, mpg etc) so there are just mp4 and mkv remaining (mostly mp4)

The intention is to go with mp4 going forward with Emby.

Seems this is the only way to stop transcoding?

For each movie (named in the format).

e.g.

<movietitle> <year>.mp4

<movietitle> <year>.mkv

There was a corresponding poster(portrait sized).

<movietitle> <year>.jpg

The majority of these have disappeared form the folder.

A few (9) have been renamed (or replaced?) with the file:

<movietitle> <year>-poster.jpg

When I browse the library i can see that each movie has the same poster art available as before I installed Emby.

I am assuming these have all been moved to the Emby folder itself?

And I guess renamed poster.jpg which will make restoring them difficult.

A little bit annoying!

How do I stop this going forward?

I would like to keep these files, with the file name I gave them (without having to duplicate them in another folder).

By all means Emby, create our own files or use mine but don't delete or rename mine!

Edited by flakie

Hi there, emby does not move your image files. I'm guessing you must have used the function to refresh all metadata, and you checked the box to replace existing images. That's why your existing ones were deleted and new ones were downloaded.

The easy answer to stop that from happening - don't do that again as it's purely a manual action and not something that happens automatically.

flakie

OK, I don't recall doing this, Not even sure where the function is to do so.

Don't see it in scheduled tasks which is the only method I recall using to update Emby.

But had i done so, with your wording above, i would have expected it to replace existing images that it had created in a previous scan, not my images.

Anyway not a biggie, I have restored the images from a nightly backup.

It only bothers me that if I move from Emby at some point, i would have had to have downloaded them all again.

Just looked in the metadata manager. Is this where you believe it would have happened?

I certainly don't recall looking in there for more than a few seconds and that was just once to add a *special* word to the overview for a movie when i was doing some testing. You're the expert though so I must bow to your knowledge on this.

I will try to backtrack my steps to see how I could have done what you suggest.

<edit>No, was not when i was doing that. I went in to metadata manager.Chose a title in the movie list. Added a *special* word (for tracking my change) and then clicked on 'Save'.</edit<

Edited by flakie

Just looked in the metadata manager. Is this where you believe it would have happened?

Yes, or from the 3-dot menu of any media item, or from the 3-dot menu of a top level library.

It also could have happened from using the Identify feature and checking the box to replace existing images at the end of the Identify process.

flakie

Yes, or from the 3-dot menu of any media item, or from the 3-dot menu of a top level library.

It also could have happened from using the Identify feature and checking the box to replace existing images at the end of the Identify process.

OK thanks. Don't recall doing any of that ,but if this is the only way possible, I guess I must have in a Gung Ho moment.