How do i change metadata? TV series wrongly identified

aerospyke

aerospyke

Hi all,

In particular, I have the new series of Dr Who, labelled series 1-7 .... which the metadata provider has identified as series 1-7 from the 60's, not this millennium. I have some other shows wrongly identified completely, e.g. the originals, once upon a time, and others that are not found at all. MB2 had a plugin that fixed it, or was more accurate I'm not sure exactly whether coverart was doing it or another plugin but I didn't have this problem before.... anyone else?

Koleckai Silvestri

Go to the series, click edit. On the edit screen, click Identify. On the Identify screen, you will probably have to remove the external IDs and click find. The TV provider recognizes the new series as Doctor Who (2005).

aerospyke

Cheers. I think i'm doing something wrong (thanks for the tip to get me this far, awesome I can do this properly), I search for Dr Who, remove all other fields, search, click on the banner that represents the new series, but nothing in that page changes. Description etc same. Click save or otherwise, refresh people and other tasks still shows the old details. Is there another step I need? It is doing it for all of my shows that are wrong

aerospyke

Also there are a few that are not found at all... but do not have the button to identify, some of them are kids movies (i.e. monsters inc is hardly unknown) others are TV.... not sure what needs to happen for me to be able to do it.... do I need to search them manually on a website to get an external ID to map to it somehow?

steelman1991

Movie and TV Show information is gathered from both the MovieDB (http://www.themoviedb.org/movie/585-monsters-inc) and TVDB (http://thetvdb.com/?tab=series&id=78804).

Add either TMDB ID - 585, or TVDB ID - 78804, to the external ID tag and save. Now click 'refresh' and the correct data should be retrieved.

Sounds like you have naming issues with your files - better I find to have the correct information in the first place, than have to change afterwards. Either way files should be named to correspond directly with the source db's. A quick check on either of the 2db's will give the correct naming convention.

EDIT - sorry to clarify, this should be done on the metadata screen and not from the 'identity' button.

Edited by steelman1991

aerospyke

Any thoughts on why I have no option to put any ID's in? attached.

post-4014-0-45888200-1400925463_thumb.png

Koleckai Silvestri

What is the name of the directory and what is the media folder type? Everything pretty much comes down to naming and directory structure.

Beardyname

Based on that it seems that the movie is not in its own folder, it is not required but it is recommended :)

In this case It might be that the movie is not tagged with (year).

The wiki has some nice information regarding this :

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser/wiki/Library-Structure

Edited by Beardyname

Yogi

Also have you setup your media with UNC paths,this would not be the issue here but based on your screenshot it is pointing only to your d:drive,unless you have used path substitution which will work ok.

Setting up your media with UNC paths is better overall in the long run.

Edited by Yogi

aerospyke

I haven't set up my MC with UNC as this machine is in its own workgroup and not in my home domain. This ist he only media center in the house and sofar everything is running from this one machine (streaming from it is still workijg from both ipad and browser).

I have tried ot add various parts of metadata to manually add the details to it but I can't unlock the external ID fields.... well on some of them I hav but others ti stays locked. I will try and figure out why.

Slightly different topic, if I have a TV show that is slightly different type... Jaime's 30 minute meals.... can't get it to recognise, I've made sure hte folder structure is right.... but can't edit any metadata field on the folder... is it the files that are more important? Do I need to change the names to Jaime's 30 minute meals - part 1 ....-part 2 etc etc? It is a transcoded series of files of the TV recording form media center.

Edited by aerospyke

Beardyname

I haven't set up my MC with UNC as this machine is in its own workgroup and not in my home domain. This ist he only media center in the house and sofar everything is running from this one machine (streaming from it is still workijg from both ipad and browser).

I have tried ot add various parts of metadata to manually add the details to it but I can't unlock the external ID fields.... well on some of them I hav but others ti stays locked. I will try and figure out why.

Slightly different topic, if I have a TV show that is slightly different type... Jaime's 30 minute meals.... can't get it to recognise, I've made sure hte folder structure is right.... but can't edit any metadata field on the folder... is it the files that are more important? Do I need to change the names to Jaime's 30 minute meals - part 1 ....-part 2 etc etc? It is a transcoded series of files of the TV recording form media center.

Depends on how they are named now :) There are instructions in the post i did earlier on how to name multi part episodes!

Edited by Beardyname

If you cannot re-identify something then it is due to the item not being recognized properly.  See the link Beardyname pointed you to and be sure the folder structures and file naming are supported.

TolkienBard

I ran into this very same problem with Judgement: The Court Martial of William Calley. It was a made for television movie, but neither TVDb or TMDb have it in their database. It is however, listed on IMDB.

Koleckai Silvestri

Set it as a movie and use the IMDB Id to identify it. It happens sometimes. It would have to be in a mixed or movie folder 

TolkienBard

And suddenly there it is. I swear, it wasn't there no matter how I tried to enter it last night. Really, I tried and tried. Thanks folks.

• Like 1

aerospyke

I'm still having problems with some of them. e.g. Cars 2 doesn't get recognised (no identify button and no ability to manually enter the external ID). I have had it in the following structures

\ Cars 2 \ Cars 2.mp4

\ Cars 2 (2011) \ Cars 2 (2011).mp4

\ Cars 2 \ Cars 2 (2011).mp4

\ Cars 2 (2011) \ Cars 2.mp4

Bit confused where else I could go from there. IMDB has it labelled as Cars 2 (2011) hence that path option, but haven't had any luck. I'm sure its something silly but getting nowhere.

steelman1991

Nothing wrong with the naming scheme on any of those. However I'm not sure that the problem isn't centred on the folder format, prior to the Movie/TV Show. I noticed from your last screen shot that your path is d:\kids\Monsters Inc.mp4. Has this changed and if so what to?

The recommended structure and one which I have no issues with is

D:\Movies\Movie Name\Movie File.

D:\TV Shows\TV Show\Season\Episode File. (Season folder is not required - though I and others use it for aesthetic purposes in windows explorer)

I don't use specific folders for genre - and I think that MB3 is moving away from that model (using the data itself to sort into genre's etc). Might be worth trying with the generic model I've quoted and then once all your movies/TV Shows have been scraped properly, move onto splitting into specific folder types.

aerospyke

I will give it a shot. I have a d:\movies for regular movies, d:\tv for regular TV and a d:\kids for kids shows, which has been classified in MB3 for TV and movie mix. there are 47 other items in d:\kids that are now working no problems (monsters inc included, although I can't remember exactly what I did to fix it as the path for that one is still d:\monsters inc\monsters inc.mp4) .... so these anomalies are doing my head in right now.

steelman1991

I feel your pain - these can be an absolute pain, particularly when some seem to work, but others don't. As I say I've never needed or used genre specific folders, or for that matter a 'mixed' classification, so I can't say what your problems might be in those areas. I've always used the widely supported format I quoted in my previous post.

If you're movies aren't already in their own folders - you could use the 'file2folders' script (http://download.cnet.com/Files-2-Folder/3000-2248_4-75373366.html) rather than manually creating and moving, if you have a large library.

aerospyke

Thanks. I had made the move to folders already and it helped a bit. Getting the metadata from the kids shows helps moving them into the generic movies folders for most of them... As for the ones that aren't working... even ones that I can put in the external ID's but it isn't downloading artwork? oh well I'll live and maybe will magically fix another day hehe.

Moving Cars 2 to movies got the metadata for it... now i'm just playing with the multiformat of it... how is it supposed to work? I have two files in the cars 2 folder... called

Cars 2.mp4 (sounds fmiliar doesn't it) and

Cars 2 - 3d.mp4 ....

It only shows the 3d version....  how is this supposed to work when I go to watch it on my 3d TV, but want to watch the standard 2d version? this is just a play around and not important, I just like knowing how things work.

Thanks everyone here for sticking with me as I muddle around with this new way of metadata creation. I learnt alot of tricks, whether it be folder/file name manipulation to moving to genre based folders to trick it into searching correctly.

aerospyke

I have it tagged as 3d properly and both are showing as one video but how do I tell it I don't want to watch 3d?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

I have it tagged as 3d properly and both are showing as one video but how do I tell it I don't want to watch 3d?

What is "it"?

aerospyke

Oh. Is a kids movie, cars 2. Metadata worked fine, I look at the library and it says it is 3d and I labelled the kind of 3d it is, it also had a 2d 1080p version there too, in with it, showing as the same video as it should, but I dont know how to choose to watch the 2d version instead of the 3d version on my 3d capable tv. Should I name them different so they do NOT come up as a single show?