Ability to merge actors

runtimesandbox

Happy2Play

I'd rather learn why it's happening. Where they are pointing to doesn't/shouldn't matter.

The only variable should be TVDB as every series has a different tvdbid for the person, as they have unique images for ever actor.  IMDB and TMDB ids are uninversal.  So they would have to linked via a TMDB or IMDB id as TVDB is never the same.

5d23af3e73df7_person.jpg

Edited by Happy2Play

The only variable should be TVDB as every series has a different tvdbid for the person, as they have unique images for ever actor.  

So that's the problem then. That's unfortunate because it means we can no longer use tvdb id's with people.

That's really a shame. That means with tvdb we can only match actors by name. That means if you have two different actors of the same name using tvdb data, there's no way to know if they're different people or not.

Happy2Play

So that's the problem then. That's unfortunate because it means we can no longer use tvdb id's with people.

Well you must do it behind the scenes as there is never a tvdb link shown.  Only TMDB and if available IMDB.

TVDB has always been this way as they show character images specific to the series.

Well you must do it behind the scenes as there is never a tvdb link shown.  Only TMDB and if available IMDB.

TVDB has always been this way as they show character images specific to the series.

Yea, I just didn't realize the id was unique per series, so that means we can't use it anymore.

I just pushed an update to the tvdb plugin so that it won't capture that value anymore.

Happy2Play

So basically what users are seeing could be  persons for every series they have in there collection do to different TVDBids.

So basically what users are seeing could be  persons for every series they have in there collection do to different TVDBids.

They could, yes, but the fact that this has not been widely reported suggests to me that the Id's we get from Tmdb is helping to prevent this from being a major problem. If you have Tmdb disabled then you'll be more likely to see this.

• Like 1

Even though I'd like to get 4.2 released very soon, this probably warrants updating the tvdb plugin for the stable server too.

• Like 1

Happy2Play

They could, yes, but the fact that this has not been widely reported suggests to me that the Id's we get from Tmdb is helping to prevent this from being a major problem. If you have Tmdb disabled then you'll be more likely to see this.

How often to people actually search Actors?  And I see how disabled providers would affect people.  That is one reason I liked People having their own metadata options.

ginjaninja showed this above but here is another example

Adrianne Palicki

https://www.thetvdb.com/series/marvels-agents-of-shield/actors/457042

https://www.thetvdb.com/series/the-orville/actors/424500

​oops broke the links but you get the point when you see the person image.

Edited by Happy2Play

Happy2Play

Even though I'd like to get 4.2 released very soon, this probably warrants updating the tvdb plugin for the stable server too.

Unless there is a fix behind the scenes, what will users need to do?

I'm not sure yet. I don't think refreshing metadata on the series will blank out the value on each person. So that could be tricky.

Happy2Play

I'm not sure yet. I don't think refreshing metadata on the series will blank out the value on each person. So that could be tricky.

So how does purging the person from all the item found under one entry force them to the other entry when actor is re-added to the items?

Edited by Happy2Play

If you delete an actor from all media they are assigned to, then run a library scan, then yes, that will purge that person out of your database and then you'll be fine after that.

Happy2Play

If you delete an actor from all media they are assigned to, then run a library scan, then yes, that will purge that person out of your database and then you'll be fine after that.

So would the ability to delete that duplicate actor do the same things?

levander

In the meantime It is possible to scrape tv shows metadata (and actors) from tmdb or imdb with tinymediamanager.

The updated tvdb plugin should be available to all versions of emby server now.

• Like 1

ginjaninja

works for me, 1 david tennant after removing media from library and readding.

• Like 2

nickyrat

Did a search of the forums because I have this same issue.

Some are old shows and movies, some are things after I migrated server to a new install.

I tried removing the actor from one movie, doing a refresh, and it worked...but what a pain to have to do it to some of my animated films where there are  15 or so actors that are showing up as multiple People when I do a search.

It sounds like from this forum chain that an option to "merge" or "link" actors has been requested. Is this a possibility? Instead of having to manually search every actor, and deleting and re-adding and refreshing?

Thanks so much for all of the hard work!

It's possible for the future, although generally speaking more effort will be placed onto preventing it from happening.

• Like 1

blade005

How often to people actually search Actors?  And I see how disabled providers would affect people.  That is one reason I liked People having their own metadata options.

I would guess that not many do a search directly for Actor and that is likely why not many have reported issues. But, selecting an Actor from a Movie or Series with duplicate entries means you are not seeing all of their content in your library. I have started to run across a number of these now that I am aware (and I can't UNSEE) what I now know!

I have cleaned up just a handful of duplicates where either TV Series or Movies were not being shown for an individual based on which media I entered from. Quite a tedious task to identify a duplicate, figure out which one has the least entries in it and delete Actor from this entry, REFRESH PEOPLE, remember which items you removed them from and perform a REFRESH ALL METADATA and REFRESH PEOPLE again.

I hope that eventually there could be a more automated process for cleaning any duplicates entries. The ability to DELETE one of the two duplicate Actor entries in the Emby UI and a subsequent REFRESH PEOPLE scan to clean it up would be welcome.

ginjaninja

How often to people actually search Actors?

frequently... esp. after watching a movie. emby has almost been caught up in the usefulness of the cast searching function. not the most critical of functions but certainly a very high reason to use emby rather than the competition.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

mgworek

yay! I just came across this. I've been struggling having actors showing up 2-4 times sometimes ever since the db upgrade and moving where the people metadata were saved. I was dealing with this last week trying to fix a couple of actors. I just read this thread this morning and while doing some testing, a handful of actors I know were coming up multipole times are only coming up once and all of their movies/shows listed!

• 2 weeks later...
One2Go

Like many others I landed on this thread because of the actor images not being filled on TV shows as well as some movies. I went from EMBY version 3.* to staying at Emby version 4.01.0 because the nested folders display fine and I don't want to risk it with an update. However I also disabled ALL meta-data obtaining through Emby. I add a complete TV series or Movie with meta data obtained using Media Center Master and having the settings using XML files first and NFOs second. I have not noticed the duplicate actor images but then like many I never search for them. In the EMC client using @@throgmorton themes I just click on the actor and it displays the biography as well as any content that is on my server as well as what is not on my server that is all I use that feature for.

I checked yesterday my meta data and have come to the conclusion that I need to use a routine when entering new content:

1. For movies and TV shows I now have to check for actor images. If they exist they are being displayed. If not I import the images that MCM found from the location ProgramData/MediaBrowser/ImagesByName/people/.. 9 out of 10 times this is successful unless on a little known actor.

2. For movies and TV shows I check is a studio image in the directory .../metadata/General which will display in Throg's themes for EMC.

3. For TV shows I need to enter manually the role for the actor. Did this with Veronica Mars yesterday as I added the show. It had the actors and some of the images but not their roles plus some outdated images for actors.

4. Finally, I check the meta-data and images in the meta-data manager. If everything is to my liking I lock the content.

It would be nice to automate this but I also realize that this may resemble a Swiss Army knife approach it does the job somewhat, but not as good as a single dedicated, focused function/program. All of this is not a big deal IF YOU REMEMBER to do it when you add a show or movie. This is especially true when adding foreign language shows that have English subtitles. I do not remember that I did this while being on server version 3.*

Edited by One2Go