Ability to merge actors

runtimesandbox

runtimesandbox

Can we get the ability to manage and edit actor metadata? Preferably the ability to merge duplicate actor entries in to a single "profile" for the actor.

For example, a search for "David Tennant" returns four different david tennants making the feature to see what other shows he has been in useless. 

https://imgur.com/a/5OcAS0k

• Like 5

It's not a bad idea, however while the latest version of the server handles this much better than in the past, and generally speaking you shouldn't see many new duplicates created anymore,at least not unless there is a valid reason for it.

• Like 1

runtimesandbox

Is there a way to fix duplicates now? Any db command that can be run to do this?

Without a full database rebuild, I suppose one approach would be to remove all of the David Tennant entries from all items, then run a full library scan to have the actor entries deleted from the database. Then add him back to the items.

runtimesandbox

This was a relatively new install, i think from about 4.0 at the oldest. Has that much changed that would affect this since then?

Since 4.0, nothing really. I can't imagine that all those duplicates would be created with 4.0.

runtimesandbox

Weird, this was a fresh install on a new windows box just after 4.0 was released. If I get time i'll set up another box and see if I get the same results 

levander

...while the latest version of the server handles this much better than in the past, and generally speaking you shouldn't see many new duplicates created anymore,at least not unless there is a valid reason for it.

Can you please elaborate on this? What does “you shouldn’t see MANY new duplicates created anymore” mean exactly?

I started noticing people duplicates creating in last few days and I haven’t noticed that before except when there are different characters used by source in some cases (that should be the only valid reason I guess). New duplicates happened with names: Joan Collins and Molly Parker for example. Why is that?

post-96264-0-83383300-1561504757_thumb.jpeg

Happy2Play

Can you please elaborate on this? What does “you shouldn’t see MANY new duplicates created anymore” mean exactly?

I started noticing people duplicates creating in last few days and I haven’t noticed that before except when there are different characters used by source in some cases (that should be the only valid reason I guess). New duplicates happened with names: Joan Collins and Molly Parker for example. Why is that?

I have only seen duplicates, but never more that two so far as there is no way besides using search to see this issue.  In my case one will have a path to \metadata\people and the other doesn't have a path so the new way \metadata\library.

Curious to know what shows in edit metadata on each entry and what external ids are listed.

In the duplicate actor I just found, the one with path to people folder has imdb and tmdb ids listed and the one without a path has no external ids.

But I think some of this is from upgrading/database migration, as none of this should happen on new installation/new database because of the changes done to how the server does People now.

I know in my case with the duplication (same actor with different db ids) removing the actor from all the items that are listed when you open the actor, doing a library scan and re-adding the actor to those items and scanning again place the item in the existing actor id.  But that can be a lot of manual editing.

Edited by Happy2Play

levander

I have only seen duplicates, but never more that two so far as there is no way besides using search to see this issue.  In my case one will have a path to \metadata\people and the other doesn't have a path so the new way \metadata\library.

Curious to know what shows in edit metadata on each entry and what external ids are listed.

In the duplicate actor I just found, the one with path to people folder has imdb and tmdb ids listed and the one without a path has no external ids.

But I think some of this is from upgrading/database migration, as none of this should happen on new installation/new database because of the changes done to how the server does People now.

I know in my case with the duplication (same actor with different db ids) removing the actor from all the items that are listed when you open the actor, doing a library scan and re-adding the actor to those items and scanning again place the item in the existing actor id.  But that can be a lot of manual editing.

This I can confirm:

1. Only one has path visible, other two don't.

2. All of them have same imdb and tmdb values visible and are same.

3. Ones without path contains each one TV Show listed and both of those shows were added in last 10 days (beta 4.2....)

4. The one with the path contains Movies and TV Shows, some of them were imported before emby 4.0 but most of it after

Questions:

1. What does it mean that duplicated people are created without path and at the same time new people (imported as well last week in beta 4.2...) has path and image in metadata/people? 

2. What I can do to stop emby to maintain metadata/people folders as it is obviously has new and better way to store people data?

Obviously migration to 4.0 didn't work for me as it should (I learned it has some other unwanted issues) and fixing duplicate actors manually is unacceptable so what are the steps to start fresh database and what I can expect?

Edited by levander

Happy2Play

OT: 

Technically Emby no longer uses metadata\people for any new actor.  It will use the existing people images do to them still existing in the database.  If one where to delete the database those images would no longer be used.

There is a plugin that can backup the images and metadata from database and metadata\library and the ability to restore what you have in metadata\people.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/63331-how-to-backup-people-images-with-beta-going-onwards

But we still haven't figured out the cause of the duplication.

levander

But we still haven't figured out the cause of the duplication.

Thanks for clearing that up. But do you at least know for sure that duplications are happening ONLY in migrated (upgraded from 3. to 4:) libraries or does it happen in newly created ones?

I am asking because I would then like to solve that by recreating the library from scratch. So I want to be sure that will solve the problem for me. (?)

Edited by levander

• 2 weeks later...
ginjaninja

i have three David Tennant's all with different pictures, removing him from the media metadata, temporary solves the issues, but if i refresh the metadata from the provider the duplicates come back again. 4.2.0.25.

FWIW i completely removed the tv library and then readded again, made no difference

runtimesandbox

Thanks for clearing that up. But do you at least know for sure that duplications are happening ONLY in migrated (upgraded from 3. to 4:) libraries or does it happen in newly created ones?

I am asking because I would then like to solve that by recreating the library from scratch. So I want to be sure that will solve the problem for me. (?)

Fresh install on the latest stable server didn't produce any duplicates for me

ginjaninja

Fresh install on the latest stable server didn't produce any duplicates for me

must be something to do with library content...ive now done a  fresh build on 4.2.0.25 and still have 3 David Tennants

FWIW only 1st has bios, imdbid and tmdbid....2nd has just a picture and the 3rd has no metadata at all

the 2nd's picture is coming from tvdb it seems https://www.thetvdb.com/series/doctor-who-2005

the 3rd object with no picture is coming from ...https://www.thetvdb.com/series/w1a/actors

no nfos on file system..

Edited by ginjaninja

runtimesandbox

By fresh install i meant I created a new VM and started completely from scratch but used the same source media library (files)

In the original library as it stands I have 6 david tennants 

https://imgur.com/a/1jNVxx7

Edited by spudd

Happy2Play

I will test, but I would think content is a factor in this.  I have yet to come across a person shown more then twice in my library, one to \metadata\people and the other to \metadata\library.

@@Luke

Would the ability to delete a person via the UI resolve this issues, since purging and re-adding  the actor from specific content forces the person to the other listed person?

I guess that would be the same as a merge, but that is still subjective to your installation date, as 99% of my actors still point to \metadata\people.

@@Luke

Would the ability to delete a person via the UI resolve this issues, since purging and re-adding  the actor from specific content forces the person to the other listed person?

I guess that would be the same as a merge, but that is still subjective to your installation date, as 99% of my actors still point to \metadata\people.

I'd rather learn why it's happening. Where they are pointing to doesn't/shouldn't matter.