Specials placement

arrbee99

arrbee99

Just wondering if there's a way to get TV specials to show up where you want them too. Fr'instance I just added The Thick Of It, which has two specials between seasons 2 and 3. I tried adding them to season 3 in the hope they would appear at the beginning, but they don't actually appear at all.

5cfc8517acc8d_EmbySpecialsTheThickOfIt.j

arrbee99

I looked there already, doesn't help.

I have other programs that have a specials folder, which shows up as Specials, Season 1, Season, 2, etc.

I have other programs that have specials within series, which show up as the first items within that series, which is kind of what I want, except they don't show up. I tried removing the full stops after the number and running a scheduled task but they still don't show up. I tried removing the numbers (for the specials) entirely and running another scheduled task and now they do show up at the beginning, which is good, but they're in the wrong order and they don't have thumbs or nfo files.

5cfc9070a849a_1EmbySpecialsTheThickOfIt1

5cfc90bbe8a89_EmbySpecialsTheThickOfIt2.

Happy2Play

With the proper metadata they will appear where they belong/you like them.  

Example properly named "The Big Bang Theory.S00E06.Unraveling the Mystery, A Big Bang Farewell" shows at the end of Season 12, with the "<airsafter_season>12</airsafter_season>" metadata.

5cfc9d6c49186_end.jpg

5cfc9d78856c2_spec.jpg

• Like 1

arrbee99

Thanks, didn't even know that was there  :)

How does airs before episode work ? Do you only enter a value for one of those three entries ? Or does episodes work in conjunction with the season value you enter somehow ?

Also, I put those specials in their own Specials folder and they show up and the info says they  were aired after the end of season 2, but shouldn't they play after season 2 then ? I just tried playing the last few minutes of the last episode of season 2 and it went straight to the first episode of season 3, shouldn't it have gone to the first special instead ?

crusher11

I think there might be a setting on a library or server level to play specials within seasons.

CBers

I think there might be a setting on a library or server level to play specials within seasons.

It's a global setting under the Advanced tab in the Library setting.

• Like 1

@@cayars can help improve this wiki article to cover those questions. Thanks.

I'll read through the thread and see what I can do.

crusher11
How does airs before episode work ? Do you only enter a value for one of those three entries ? Or does episodes work in conjunction with the season value you enter somehow ?

I'm curious about this as well.

Happy2Play

Thanks, didn't even know that was there  :)

Also, I put those specials in their own Specials folder and they show up and the info says they  were aired after the end of season 2, but shouldn't they play after season 2 then ? I just tried playing the last few minutes of the last episode of season 2 and it went straight to the first episode of season 3, shouldn't it have gone to the first special instead ?

Airs before season: will put the episode at the beginning of the season.

Airs after season: will put the episode at the end of the season.

And if a special airs within a season you can use "airs before season" with "airs before episode" to make it appear and play after a specific episode in the season.

The information will come from TVDB for and episodes should be named accordingly, but if they do not appear on TVDB you can apply the appropriate info in metadata manager.

​example

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<episodedetails>
  <plot>Galecki and Cuoco will lead fans on a trip down memory lane, sharing some of the best-kept backstage secrets and personal memories from the past 12 years. They will reveal their favorite moments playing beloved characters Leonard and Penny, and revisit some of the most memorable stories from “The Big Bang Theory Stage.” In addition, the special will feature a tour of the iconic sets, including Leonard and Sheldon’s apartment. This special farewell will include unforgettable clips and interviews to celebrate this beloved series.</plot>
  <outline />
  <lockdata>false</lockdata>
  <dateadded>2019-06-11 03:13:17</dateadded>
  <title>Unraveling the Mystery: A Big Bang Farewell</title>
  <year>2019</year>
  <tvdbid>7159758</tvdbid>
  <episode>6</episode>
  <season>0</season>
  <aired>2019-05-16</aired>
  <airsafter_season>12</airsafter_season>
  <displayseason>12</displayseason>
  <fileinfo>
    <streamdetails />
  </fileinfo>
</episodedetails>

In my example above I had no issue playing S12E24 and S00E06 automatically playing after S12E24.

Note Next Up does not currently honor displaying Specials in Next Up.  They will play if you have "Play next episode automatically" enabled.

Only testing in web client.  Do not know how other clients/apps will act.

Edited by Happy2Play