Audio Bitrate Exceeded Limit?

dbowles1975

dbowles1975

I'm prepared to send logs when I get home but I just wanted to start this topic while it was on my mind...

I was recently playing a file with DTS audio on my Fire Stick and I started having freezing issues. Of course it was transcoding the audio but it also told me that the audio bitrate had exceeded the limit. The video would freeze every 15-20 seconds for roughly 2-3 seconds. 

I switched to another file... this one with Dolby Digital. This one did not transcode but it still said the audio bitrate was being exxceeded. It was running at 640 Kbps at the time. 

I also noticed that the "stats for nerds" info indicated the file was still being transcoded although the dashboard said that it was not. It was also strange that the transcoding percentage continued to climb beyond 100%. 

Emby Server is running on a very capable Windows PC and at the time this was happening I checked resources and everything looked fine. The Fire Stick is connected wirelessly but within 15' of an AP and all network tests show a rock solid and extremely fast connection. I also tried a wired connection and noticed the same results. 

Any ideas? 

Edit: I was able to solve the issue by uninstalling Emby. 

Edited by dbowles1975

kikinjo

I never understanded this "bitrate over the limit" to be honest, i have a android client on 200 mbit fiber connection and he also gets trans-coding most of the times, even he choose 100mbit in max bit-rate settings in android app on firestick 4k. The funny thing is that movie bitrate is like 8-9 Mbit (altogether video and audio).

We tried internal access external access, does not matter it just spills bit rate exceeded and transcode.

It would be nice that devs make a detailed wiki article about this and explain it...

Hi.  The Fires don't support DTS at all and only support DD up to 384kb/s (we may need to check some of the newer models to see if they've relaxed this restriction).

dbowles1975

Hi.  The Fires don't support DTS at all and only support DD up to 384kb/s (we may need to check some of the newer models to see if they've relaxed this restriction).

I was aware they didn't support DTS but was unaware of the bitrate restriction. Still, should video be freezing when only the audio is being transcoded? That seems odd to me. 

Still, should video be freezing when only the audio is being transcoded? That seems odd to me. 

Without looking at exactly what was happening at the time it is impossible to know.

Update the topic when you have the logs.

Thanks.

dbowles1975

@@Luke @@ebr

Log file attached. This played fine for a few minutes then froze for a few seconds. Shortly after I paused the episode and pulled the log.

dbowles1975

Hi.  There is no attachment...

I chose the file but forgot to attach it. My bad. It's attached now. 

Log.txt

Edited by dbowles1975

Interesting, it looks like ffmpeg crashes or something.

If you turn off the subtitles, does it still do it?

@@softworkz

dbowles1975

@@softworkz

It doesn't seem to but it's so intermittent it's hard to know for sure.

I did notice that playing the exact same file on the exact same device just now it was only transcoding because of unsupported audio and not because the audio was exceeding the bitrate limit. Bitrate was 1.54Mbps.

Edited by dbowles1975

neik

Amazon does offer EAC3 sound for some series, do they also only have 384kb/s or is it simply limited on the FTVS?

Where did you find that information? I looked at their developer page and couldn't find anything.

Amazon does offer EAC3 sound for some series, do they also only have 384kb/s or is it simply limited on the FTVS?

Where did you find that information? I looked at their developer page and couldn't find anything.

I can't remember if they ever actually documented it but I think it was on their specs page at one point but experience showed us it wasn't supported (as of about a year ago anyway).

neik

I can't remember if they ever actually documented it but I think it was on their specs page at one point but experience showed us it wasn't supported (as of about a year ago anyway).

I am not 100% sure but I'm quite sure that my FTVS Gen. 2 does direct play AC3 640kb/s without downmixing if I force it to, by disabling remux/transcode in the user settings.

I will give it a try once I'm home and feed back.

neik

I am not 100% sure but I'm quite sure that my FTVS Gen. 2 does direct play AC3 640kb/s without downmixing if I force it to, by disabling remux/transcode in the user settings.

I will give it a try once I'm home and feed back.

@@ebr, it is exactly like I was thinking. Removing the user permissions the FTVS direct plays the file and AC3 is passed through.

With the file direct playing if forced to, I am wondering why it does remux at all?!

Shall I provide any logs?

@@softworkz

I don't think ffmpeg has crashed in this case as the user said he has paused (not stopped) playback while gathering the log.

@@Luke - It hasn't created a single vtt segment. We should be able to disable vtt subtitles to verify if the problem is caused by vtt subs.

@@ebr, it is exactly like I was thinking. Removing the user permissions the FTVS direct plays the file and AC3 is passed through.

With the file direct playing if forced to, I am wondering why it does remux at all?!

Shall I provide any logs?

In our experience, they will play but usually with problems.

Has this answered your questions about why the audio is converting?

dbowles1975

Has this answered your questions about why the audio is converting?

I have no idea who you're asking. Are you asking me or the guy who hijacked the thread? 

dbowles1975

@@ebr's responses.

His responses were helpful but I don't feel they really resolved the issue.

It only seems to fail when subtitles are enabled.Does that help narrow it down at all? 

Right, there were a couple of items raised and the "why is the audio transcoding" questions are answered but the initial problem in this thread of the stream stopping with subs enabled is still an open issue.