Episodes cut off

Wondertje

Wondertje

I did search for this, but couldn't find anyone with the exact same problem that I have. Granted I might be bad at searching but here's my issue:

When I watch tv-shows in Emby on my browser (currently chrome) it will sometimes cut the episode short and just go to black, like pausing but without ability to keep playing. When this happens, and I choose to go back to dashboard, the episode I was watching will be marked as seen, even though I didn't see the last 1-5 minutes. It's not always the same length of time remaining that I'm missing. I think it might be linked to the "play next" thing that shows up at the end of episodes, because I always hide it due to it cutting my shows off too early sometimes.

1. Watch an episode

2. Choose "hide" when play next comes up

3. Play next episode

4. Cut to black with anywhere between 1-5~ish minutes left (play next hasn't shown up yet)

5. Go back to dashboard

6. Episode has been marked as viewed

7. Play episode again and skip to where it cut off

- In about 80% of the times I can then proceed to watch the ending of the episode, sometimes I need to repeat from step 5 until it works.

- Something that makes it work more often is if I start the episode, skip to somewhere past the point where it cut off, then back to where it cut off and continue watching.

It's highly frustrating as it keeps me from seamlessly watching my tv-shows.

It also happens when:

I'm on my phone playing in app.

When I'm casting through Chromecast.

I'm on Windows 10, Chrome, .avi and .srt format for the current files. But it has happened before with other formats as well.

theghost31

Hi

I don't know how to help you but it's seems really close of my issue and this one ? 
Maybe your scheme to reproduce the issue will help us :)

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/72236-emby-stops-during-playback/

and

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/69866-jump-of-images-blackscreen-during-the-playback-of-the-video-at-the-end-only/

Edited by theghost31

Wondertje

Thank you, I read those threads as well now!

I can further say this:

There's never any error message related to the incident.

There's never an issue with the file when played in other programmes such as VLC, etc.

There's never a case of just frame skipping/artefacts in direct relation to this problem (they of course sometimes happen for other reasons, lol).

All related settings, apart from subtitle mode is set as default as I'm too much of a scaredy-cat to play with technical things.

Thanks in advance for any tips on how to fix this problem!

Edited by Wondertje

Happy2Play

the episode I was watching will be marked as seen, even though I didn't see the last 1-5 minutes.

This part is normal behavior at 90% "Titles are assumed fully played if stopped after this time".  This can be adjusted per library at the bottom of advanced settings.

But there is the issue of why they are stopping early.  You will need to post server and ffmpeg logs.

Wondertje

With the risk of sounding like an idiot (I'm not very techy on this stuff), what are those and how do I generate them?

Happy2Play

With the risk of sounding like an idiot (I'm not very techy on this stuff), what are those and how do I generate them?

How to Report a Problem, you can see your log path on the Dashboard-Paths sections.

Wondertje

New development:

I just now had an episode cut off after 12 seconds, after which it was marked as seen. I haven't changed the view settings to that low (or any change for that matter).

Episode, just like all others, just cut to black with the UI still working. But skipping forward or backward didn't start the playing again. Nothing functions when this happens, other than visually.

Here are the most recent logs in connection with this.

Log - Emby.txt

Log - ffmpeg.txt

Edited by Wondertje

Happy2Play

Is your issue only with AVI files?

Wondertje

From memory I think it's with some other formats too, but I might be wrong. I'll see if I can try and reproduce it with some other format(s).

Wondertje

Same thing (around 39-40 minute mark) was reproduced with MKV file just now. Here are some logs.

Let me know if I need to try more scenarios. It might take a while to do, since I need to be watching/playing the episode until it happens, but I'm happy to help in any way I can.

Log - Emby MKV.txt

Log - ffmpeg MKV.txt

frong

This happened for me as well, I turned off the option to auto-play the next episodes. So far it has worked without a problem in both movies and series that actually have next episodes. 

• Like 1

Wondertje

Thanks for the tip, I'll try that and report back if it fixes (or doesn't fix) the issue :)

pwhodges

I have also seen this in the past (and seen other reports of it).  I wasn't aware that any resolution was found; but I've not seen the problem for a while (I run the latest beta, though).  A link with "next episode" would be consistent with my experience, as I certainly turned that off in the right time scale, though I can't provably fix the date to when the problem went away.

Wondertje

Turning off "play next episode automatically" - No change.

Turning off "enable next video info during playback" - No change.

I'm starting to get really frustrated since I watch a lot of TV-shows and this is keeping me from enjoying it as I miss the last two minutes every single time, and need to trix around to display them in the end. I'm at a loss for what else I can do to try and fix this, any ideas?

Wondertje

Do you have another format such as mkv you can test with?

Same thing (around 39-40 minute mark) was reproduced with MKV file just now. Here are some logs.

Let me know if I need to try more scenarios. It might take a while to do, since I need to be watching/playing the episode until it happens, but I'm happy to help in any way I can.

See above. Reproduced with MKV file and attached logs.

theghost31

@@Wondertje, did you try with the latest version of emby. I'm talking about beta version. Maybe it's too early to be sure, but my problems about that, seems to be resolved :).

Wondertje

I haven't tried the beta, mostly because I tend to dislike using unstable versions of programmes. If I were to try the beta, is there a way to update within Emby or do I need to reinstall all from the beginning and import my library all over again? Because that'd be really annoying.

Happy2Play

I haven't tried the beta, mostly because I tend to dislike using unstable versions of programmes. If I were to try the beta, is there a way to update within Emby or do I need to reinstall all from the beginning and import my library all over again? Because that'd be really annoying.

It is a matter of installing beta over stable, nothing is lost.  But you can not downgrade beta to stable until new stable release.

theghost31

@@Happy2Play, is it the same rules with Docker?

Because, I switched very often without think what version I should use.

And for the moment, I didn't have any trouble when I go from beta to stable and the contrary ')

Simple question to know if I should stop this')

Happy2Play

@@Happy2Play, is it the same rules with Docker?

Because, I switched very often without think what version I should use.

And for the moment, I didn't have any trouble when I go from beta to stable and the contrary ')

Simple question to know if I should stop this')

It really depends on what updates are done in the beta branch, but yes downgrading applies across the board.

theghost31

OK I switched at least 30 times on different versions between beta and stable. It's robust hehe, I didn't see any issue like that. Now I will take note about your mention on that :).

Edited by theghost31