Lan IP lost, can't connect to Server, bevor restart it

Kodi_Newcomer

CharleyVarrick

Can someone enable debug logging under Logs, then restart the server, re-create the issue, and then send me the debug log? thanks.

PM?

PenkethBoy

I can say with 99.9% certainty that if my pc is awaken at or before 3:00am, Emby ALWAYS show Dashboard in-home LAN IP.

If its awaken any time after 3:30 am, I usually do not have LAN IP.

The pc is set to go to sleep at 20:30 and set to wake at 04:00am 

Would Windows initialize network delay vary depending on it being before/after 3:00am?

No time of day will have nothing to do with it - for windows

Q-Droid

Has anyone tested with static IP? Not DHCP reservations on the router/server, those are not static IP as the client doesn't know it's reserved. DHCP leases are typically 1-day on consumer gear but some may be shorter or longer if changed by the user. DHCP clients will usually renew the lease at the half-way mark. Windows (at least 10) also renews the lease when waking from sleep. A DHCP client will not use an IP if the lease has expired until the server allows it. It is possible that Windows will not use the IP if some threshold of time has passed and will wait for the DHCP server to respond. Either way, Windows controls the IP stack and MS controls the software and behavior. Any of which could have changed from an MS update.

CharleyVarrick

Can someone enable debug logging under Logs, then restart the server, re-create the issue, and then send me the debug log? thanks.

I did as instructed yesterday before the night, and this morning, I manually woke the server at 03:26am and I was able to re-create issue.

I am unsure about where to find the debug log specifically.

This is what I see.

5d0f2b835e9ea_Capture.jpg

Edited by jlr19

Happy2Play

I did as instructed yesterday before the night, and this morning, I manually woke the server at 03:26am and I was able to re-create issue.

I am unsure about where to find the debug log specifically.

This is what I see.

5d0f2b835e9ea_Capture.jpg

Did you restart Emby when you enable Debug logging?

@@Luke

A note may need to placed next to Debug logging option.

Edited by Happy2Play

CharleyVarrick

Hi @@Happy2Play,

yes, around 17:30 yesterday,  I turned on debug logging, then restarted Emby server.

Should I see a debug log in the log list?

Or is one of those it?

Edited by jlr19

Happy2Play

Hi Happy,

yes, around 17:30 yesterday,  I turned on debug logging, then restarted Emby server.

Should I see a debug log in the list?

Or is one of those it?

Debugging will be in the normal log

Is it just me or is the forum navigation sluggish?

No every action is taking forever.

CharleyVarrick

Debugging will be in the normal log

No every action is taking forever.

Thanks, I have PM the log to @@Luke as requested

No time of day will have nothing to do with it - for windows

The time of day would have nothing to do with it but I could imagine that the amount of time asleep could.  I don't have any actual knowledge of that but it is certainly possible that the system keeps certain things "alive" for some period of time after sleep and then falls into a "deeper" sleep after that time.

• Like 1

CharleyVarrick

The time of day would have nothing to do with it but I could imagine that the amount of time asleep could.  I don't have any actual knowledge of that but it is certainly possible that the system keeps certain things "alive" for some period of time after sleep and then falls into a "deeper" sleep after that time.

That could be a lead as to why the issue is never triggered before 3am, but always after 3:30am.

I am going to test your theory tonight; instead of the server going to sleep like usual at 8:30pm, I'll set it for 10:30pm.

If you're right, it should buy me an extra couple of hours tomorrow morning.

I'll keep you posted.

Edited by jlr19

CharleyVarrick

As instructed I have PM'd my debug log to @@Luke earlier this morning.

I think I remember reading about debug log containing more sensitive info than regular log (hence his request to use private message, instead of posting in this thread ?).

Happy2Play

If that is the issue I would assume you will have to wait for Net Core 3.0.

CharleyVarrick

or leave my server awake 24/7. What I don't get is why Emby seems to be the only program affected.

Again, if I check my connection details in Network and sharing, I see the usual LAN IP, and the server is discoverable by my other home network machines.

The "workaround fix" is restarting Emby server specifically. Restarting the whole PC isn't mandatory.

Another thing that doesn't jive is the github article dates back to oct 2018, while everyone affected by Emby running without LAN IP started to report the issue only in april/may 2019.

Edited by jlr19

CharleyVarrick

Yes, i have to Server now. The right one, that i use actual have that issue, after wakeup. The new Server for testing runs 24/7 and have all the time the lan ip adress.

Your new Intel NUC server runs 24/7 and Emby does not lose its LAN IP.

Your other server goes in sleep mode and is affected.

What are the respective OS for your 2 servers ?

Would you try this experiment?

Set your Intel NUC to sleep, and the other server NOT to sleep.

Does the issue then starts to happen on the Intel NUC, and does it stop happening on other server?

I have only one server and its running Win7x64.

Edited by jlr19

PenkethBoy

it will be fixed when dot netdore 3 is released later this year and Luke upgrades emby to use it

@@Luke, would you care to expand on "this is the problem" for us mere mortals.

When the connection is lost Emby is notified and updates based on that. When the connection is regained, the server never gets notified per the reasons stated in the ticket that i linked to. So it never realizes that the network connection is available again.

CharleyVarrick

We can hopefully come up with a hack workaround in the meantime.

Do you already have a strategy for your workaround?