cayars

I doubt you're going to get a lot of support for this as a home server really doesn't have a need to register.  That's more "Commercial" in the sense of needs.

With that said, if you were to switch to using LDAP for authorization, then account creation and registration are moved outside of Emby and could be controlled any way you want including a public facing web page.

Floflobel

I would support a "Register" button, but require admin to activate / approve the user.

That's why I asked for a default template to handle rights. This will allow all users to be disabled and manually enabled
  • 10 months later...

+1 I've seen a version in a file browser app that was just a create an account option, and then yes, required administrator approval. Either that or perhaps a password that allows registration. Either way I think as people form communities that use these servers, we should support them. 

great idea if the emby server administrator can be aware that I asked for the request and whether or not he should accept

• 4 months later...
Lsantiesteban

Hi there!

I’m new to Emby and I just deployed my first server just for me to use at home where this feature might not be required but o do know some scenarios where it would be helpful.

I’m Cuban and here we don’t have a broad access to the internet, been able to watch media content it’s expensive and even using music services as Spotify it’s a no go. So many people have got together and created independent networks and connected each other to create an intranet full with services like forums, social sites, game servers and even geek communities to improve and bring new services to the network. Reaching over 8000 users trough the whole city this networks rely on services like Emby. Support for small things like a register button might sound unnecessary for most people but I believe scenarios like this exist all around the world and not just in Cuba and so they are worth a thought.

cayars

You have to understand that this software is meant for personal use, not commercial use and is based on admin setup, meaning if the owner of the site doesn't invite you, then you don't have access.

With that said an admin can install the LDAP plugin and have Emby Server use another directory that has account information in it.  So anyone with some coding knowledge could make a web registration system that update something like MS Active Directory which the Emby LDAP Plugin could be configured to talk to.

So it's quite possible for an admin to set this type of thing up on his/her own but it's probably not a good idea for this type of functionality to be built in.