Mixed content problems

Anixd

Anixd

sorry for late reply - was busy with exams. by 'revert' i meant reply. thank you @@Happy2Play manual editing of season name is working but it does not pick the folder's name. 

another problem i am facing is that it is stretching square poster image of tv show except in one - screenshot1 attached - 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th all are square but only 6th is showing properly

5cf9c55fddba3_ss1.png

also after opening tv show- it stretches the square seasons poster screenshot2

5cf9c5d98fdd2_ss2.jpg

please tell a solution for this 

which ones are stretched? it's really hard to tell because they look ok to me in those screenshots.

Happy2Play

Not sure what you expect when putting a 1:1 square image in a 2:3 portrait placeholder.

Currently seasons are forced into a 2:3 aspect ratio. We can look at making this more flexible so that it can adapt to square images. Thanks.

One2Go

All the different meta data providers have images in 1000x1500, 1000x1428, 680x1000, 400x578 or 400x600. Those are like themoviedb.com and thetvdb.com. Don't see a need making this flexible since the Mets data providers do NOT allow square images to be posted for poster images.

• Like 1

Anixd

I use high resolution itunes cover whihc are square. Can't emby automatically detect square or rectangle and keep it as it is without stretching or adding black border ?

One2Go

I use high resolution itunes cover whihc are square. Can't emby automatically detect square or rectangle and keep it as it is without stretching or adding black border ?

That would be a request for you alone because 99.999% of us get our images from meta data providers that I mentioned in my post above. Even in the Google image search you will not get square images. So why don't you use a different source the ones that I mentioned list posters in 2000x3000 resolution and backdrops in 3840x2160 that is 4k resolution. On top of that what is your display device? I have a 136" screen for a projector and have no problem with an excellent visual effect of the artwork displayed that i obtained from the meta data providers.

As an alternative crop your artwork to the format that 99.999% of the Internet meta data providers accept. Go to fanart.tv and the only square ones are for music albums and in Emby using the coverart plugin for a music library it will display the square images correctly.

Edited by One2Go

It's possible for the future, but best to use 2:3 aspect ratio for best results.

pwhodges

Why is it felt necessary to force the aspect ratio of an image at all - why not simply display the image in its original aspect ratio with margins to suit the layout?

If the images are of a "standard" size, then there will be no change and no unwanted margin, so no issue would arise; and if they are not they will at least be correct instead of distorted. No one would realistically countenance displaying a video using the incorrect aspect ratio, so why include a mechanism to do this deliberately for still images of the same show?

Why is it felt necessary to force the aspect ratio of an image at all - why not simply display the image in its original aspect ratio with margins to suit the layout?

Because most people want to see a nice and clean set of posters that look fairly uniform. If you blindly display all images in original aspect then unless you are manually curating your images, in most cases it will end up looking sloppy. And then what will happen is users will report that our app doesn't look as nice as other apps that are more strict, or something like netflix where all images are carefully chosen. And then we'll tell them, yes it can look just as nice, if you go through and manually fix up all of your images. And then they'll leave because they think Emby is too much work or too complicated.

pwhodges

Hmm.  But that also leads to ugliness, as in this screenshot which has the same image in two different aspect ratios next to each other!

5cfd3e6503cb0_EmbyBeck.png

Maybe what's needed is an option for images to be stretched to fit (as now) or cropped to fit or fitted with added margins. 

It decides automatically to stretch or crop based on the display aspect ratio vs each image aspect ratio. When it is close enough by a certain amount it stretches, otherwise it crops.

One2Go

The image distortion has a few factors to consider first the format of the images. Standards for landscape type images are based on derivatives of 3840x2160 such as 1920x1080 or 1280x720 or 400x225. Then you have the most common for poster images which vary depending on what meta data site you go to and they vary from 3000x2000 and 1500x1000 (themdb.org), then 1426x1000 (Fanart.tv), 1000x680 (thetvdb) then 600x400 or 578x400 and these sizes are all enforced by the posting procedures. So stick with these different formats.

In addition you can reduce distortions by uploading different images to different image categories. For example I had distortions in my Roku client which disappeared once I uploaded images 600x338 NOT as primary but as Thumb category. I am anal when it comes to artwork and its appearance but following these guidelines keeps me satisfied.

Edited by One2Go

pwhodges

In the few cases that I upload images manually, I follow those guidelines; the distorted images I so dislike are all acquired by Emby.

Happy2Play

In the few cases that I upload images manually, I follow those guidelines; the distorted images I so dislike are all acquired by Emby.

Do you have specific examples?

The only issues I have seen are for people images as there are a lot of odd ratio images on TMDB.

Edited by Happy2Play

pwhodges

Well, my earlier post in this thread for a specific example.

Edited by pwhodges

One2Go

OK, that explains a lot for me EMBY obtains none of my meta data, I use Media Center Master that gets the XML files plus posters and backdrops. Then I get from Fanart Logo.png as well as ClearArt.png if they are available, if not I create my own Logo.png. At times I have to open up the Meta data manager in EMBY and correct items such as no role for TV actors or missing Genre but otherwise it works for me. There have been lengthy discussions on using a different meta data fetcher versus EMBY's but no real conclusion has been settled on as each one is happy with their implementations of collecting their eye candy :P

From your screenshot it looks like that the larger image has the correct aspect ratio. Create one that is either 400x225 or 600x338 or 1280x720 and enter that as a thumb image and see if that corrects the distorted ones. If not I am afraid you have enter them manually by edit images.

Edited by One2Go

pwhodges

From your screenshot it looks like that the larger image has the correct aspect ratio. Create one that is either 400x225 or 600x338 or 1280x720 and enter that as a thumb image and see if that corrects the distorted ones. If not I am afraid you have enter them manually by edit images.

To do that in every instance I'd have to create some thousands of images, which is obviously a waste of time. 

What I would prefer is that there could be an option to display images correctly even if that means leaving space around them in the container that Emby has allocated.  But I'm being told clearly that people prefer a distorted image with no space rather than a correct image with space.  This seems to me to be at odds with the extreme pickiness over image quality that is often seen...

It's because your images are close enough to the display aspect ratio that it stretches them, so that they all end up looking uniform. If we always use the original aspect, then this is the sloppy result you end up getting:

5cfff9b688e76_Untitled.png

Notice how some images fill the container nicely, others do not and therefore have a little gray background of various sizes. That's because all of my images are slightly different sizes. Sure, I could go through them all and resize them, but who wants to do that.