1080p hardware transcoding for image-based subtitles?

tangofan

tangofan

I'm currently trying out Emby (coming from Plex) and am running it on my Synology DS1019+, whose Celeron J3455 CPU supports hardware transcoding (for certain video formats).

My media is 1080p (blu-ray rips in MKV container, mostly H.264 video with subtitle tracks in the default PGS format) and I usually stream to a Chromecast player.

Since I frequently use subtitles and the PGS subtitle format is image-based, I'd like to know (before shelling out money for Emby Premiere), if Emby can handle this situation through hardware-transcoding or if it - like Plex - will use software-transcoding to burn in image-based subtitles.

If Emby can't handle this in hardware, is this a limitation in Emby (as in "it's possible, but we haven't done it yet") or a limitation of the hardware transcoding unit in the J3455 (and simlilar CPUs)?

Note: I understand that hardware-transcoding works generally fine with text-based subtitle formats, but I'm specifically interested, if I can avoid that extra step.

Graphical Subtitles burn-in doesn't mean that the whole transcoding process needs to be done in software. 

Typically it works like this: Decoding is done in the GPU, then data is copied back to system memory where CPU is performing  the subtitle overlay, then data is transferred back to GPU for encoding.

In some cases (high resolution, 10bit video) even that middle-part can be too hard for some weak CPUs, but it works in most cases.

• Like 1

yarez0

I'm currently trying out Emby (coming from Plex) and am running it on my Synology DS1019+, whose Celeron J3455 CPU supports hardware transcoding (for certain video formats).

My media is 1080p (blu-ray rips in MKV container, mostly H.264 video with subtitle tracks in the default PGS format) and I usually stream to a Chromecast player.

Since I frequently use subtitles and the PGS subtitle format is image-based, I'd like to know (before shelling out money for Emby Premiere), if Emby can handle this situation through hardware-transcoding or if it - like Plex - will use software-transcoding to burn in image-based subtitles.

If Emby can't handle this in hardware, is this a limitation in Emby (as in "it's possible, but we haven't done it yet") or a limitation of the hardware transcoding unit in the J3455 (and simlilar CPUs)?

Note: I understand that hardware-transcoding works generally fine with text-based subtitle formats, but I'm specifically interested, if I can avoid that extra step.

I bought a montly license to test, hardware acceleration work fine but PGS cause on my DS916+ buffer outage. here is my post if you want to take a look https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/73495-ds916-transcode-buffer-material-acceleration-onoff-questions/