4.1.1.0 Playback Errors - FreeNAS 11.2

MRobi

sluggo45

Quarterly vs latest is a problem for lots of people, don't feel bad. It gives FreeNAS plugin developers fits, too.

MRobi

Quarterly vs latest is a problem for lots of people, don't feel bad. It gives FreeNAS plugin developers fits, too.

Yup, I agree. I was on latest for the last beta based on a post a few weeks back and is usually one of the first things I try when something doesn't work.

Baenwort

Is there any chance that when a beta or stable is released that a comment with the release could either be that it is built against a specific quarterly or at least which of the two options is right for that specific release?

sluggo45

They are always built against quarterly, and the build VM uses the latest stable release of FreeBSD. The only major recent change is they now build against FreeBSD 11 and 12. Currently that means FreeBSD 11.2 and 12.0 as those are the latest stables. The latest FreeNAS (and FreeNAS jails) is based on FreeBSD 11.2.

As far as I know that has been the case for some time but Luke can confirm.

MRobi

They are always built against quarterly, and the build VM uses the latest stable release of FreeBSD. The only major recent change is they now build against FreeBSD 11 and 12. Currently that means FreeBSD 11.2 and 12.0 as those are the latest stables. The latest FreeNAS (and FreeNAS jails) is based on FreeBSD 11.2.

As far as I know that has been the case for some time but Luke can confirm.

I had always run quarterly but had switched to latest because Luke had made another post saying it should be on latest (https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/68032-update-to-4002-on-freenas/page-4&do=findComment&comment=735902)

So what @@Baenwort is asking does have some validity. I think the easier way to accomplish this, instead of having a note for every release, would be to always assume quarterly UNLESS specified for the release to use latest. Because the large majority of new releases have been based off of quarterly packages.

EDIT: After posting this, I saw @@Luke reference in another topic today to a post saying they've switched from quarterly to latest. But for this build to work, I was forced to switch from latest to quarterly. So maybe it would be a good idea to include in the file name either "quarterly" or "latest" as the new versions are released.

Edited by MRobi
  • Like 1

MRobi

Regarding latest vs. quarterly, see here:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/73548-on-the-fly-transcoding-fails-with-emby-4205-beta/?p=744600

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

This thread says that the downloadable package should be on latest packages. On beta 4.2.0.10 this caused playback issues on newly added content. The fix was to switch back to quarterly packages and force install the dependencies again from quarterly. Now over a week in on quarterly packages and no issues. So this is a direct contradiction to that thread.

This thread says that the downloadable package should be on latest packages. On beta 4.2.0.10 this caused playback issues on newly added content. The fix was to switch back to quarterly packages and force install the dependencies again from quarterly. Now over a week in on quarterly packages and no issues. So this is a direct contradiction to that thread.

The error in your most recent log appears to indicate that libvpx is missing and needs to be installed. Can you check that?

MRobi

The error in your most recent log appears to indicate that libvpx is missing and needs to be installed. Can you check that?

The log posted earlier here was from the upgrade from beta 4.0.2.0 to stable 4.1.1.0. I rolled that jail back after the playback issues so I still have it untouched. I just checked and no libvpx is not installed. If libvpx was a new dependency for 4.1.1.0 then this would explain why 3 or 4 of us had issues with the upgrade and ended up having to do a fresh install to get it working. 

What I'm referring to here is from beta 4.2.0.5 to beta 4.2.0.10. Beta 4.2.0.5 was running perfectly on latest packages. Beta 4.2.0.10 would not play any newly added files with latest packages. I reverted 4.2.0.10 back to quarterly packages and it fixed my issue. I did not post a log here for this because switching from latest to quarterly was the fix and was the first thing I tried after a lot of recent confusion around quarterly/latest.

This is where the original request from @@Baenwort came out of and I also think it's a great idea. If new dependencies required and latest/quarterly packages could be listed in the release notes or file name it would be a big help for those of us upgrading manually. I'd much rather upgrade than have to build a new jail for every new release.

• Like 1

libvpx is a new dependency in the more recent betas. Please try installing that and see if that helps. Thanks.

PhilWhite

Just to add a comment: I upgraded one of my emby versions to 4.2.0.14 today (previously on 4.2.0.5) and ran into the playback error issue.  Adding libvpx resolved the problem.  All working well as far as I can tell now.

ETA:  My other jails are on version 4.2.0.11 and already have libvpx installed.  Upgrading from 4.2.0.11 to 4.2.0.14 introduced no new problems that I can identify yet in one of those other jails (the other is still on 4.2.0.11).

Edited by PhilWhite
  • Like 1

Just to add a comment: I upgraded one of my emby versions to 4.2.0.14 today (previously on 4.2.0.5) and ran into the playback error issue.  Adding libvpx resolved the problem.  All working well as far as I can tell now.

ETA:  My other jails are on version 4.2.0.11 and already have libvpx installed.  Upgrading from 4.2.0.11 to 4.2.0.14 introduced no new problems that I can identify yet in one of those other jails (the other is still on 4.2.0.11).

Thanks ! I had already updated the website FreeBSD page to add libvpx. It is the FreeNAS page that will needs updating.

MRobi

libvpx is a new dependency in the more recent betas. Please try installing that and see if that helps. Thanks.

Updated my jail running 4.0.2.0 to 4.1.1.0, added libvpx and forced a new file and got the exact same error as the original post. 

Switched this jail from quarterly to latest and refreshed the new file and it played.

So in summary, I've got 4.1.1.0 which needed to be on latest to work. and 4.2.0.10 which needed to be on quarterly to work.

PhilWhite

Updated my jail running 4.0.2.0 to 4.1.1.0, added libvpx and forced a new file and got the exact same error as the original post. 

Switched this jail from quarterly to latest and refreshed the new file and it played.

So in summary, I've got 4.1.1.0 which needed to be on latest to work. and 4.2.0.10 which needed to be on quarterly to work.

Interesting.

Tracking down the dependency versions that cause the problems might be worth it, though the latest betas all seem to work with the quarterly updates (from what I can tell in my limited exposure).  That would argue for a new stable release soon that works with quarterlies if the last stable does not.  That would provide a clear direction for folks to take.

adrianwi

I don't really have the time to beta test anything at the minute, and 4.1.1.0 is working pretty well for me so I don't have the need.

That said, I'd be completely confused if I did want to test things out, as the FreeBSD situation doesn't seem to get any clearer.

I gave up on plugins well before FreeNAS 11, so always build my own jail, and then ideally install the latest pkg.  This is what my current jail is running, and I assume the quarterly updates by default?

When I was testing the 3.6.x.x beta it was simply a case of updating emby from the github repository, but it doesn't look that straight forward anymore as dependancies need to be updated, and they might not depending on how you pkg.conf is setup?

I tried updating my jail to 4.2.0.14 using the pkg add github folder method, but ran into lots of problems with basis playback.  I upgraded the jail pkg and tried again, but it was no better.  Given a lack of time and plenty of snapshots, I rolled back to 4.1.1.0 and all is good again.

Its all a bit of a mess though, and there must be an easier way?

• Like 1

I don't really have the time to beta test anything at the minute, and 4.1.1.0 is working pretty well for me so I don't have the need.

That said, I'd be completely confused if I did want to test things out, as the FreeBSD situation doesn't seem to get any clearer.

I gave up on plugins well before FreeNAS 11, so always build my own jail, and then ideally install the latest pkg.  This is what my current jail is running, and I assume the quarterly updates by default?

When I was testing the 3.6.x.x beta it was simply a case of updating emby from the github repository, but it doesn't look that straight forward anymore as dependancies need to be updated, and they might not depending on how you pkg.conf is setup?

I tried updating my jail to 4.2.0.14 using the pkg add github folder method, but ran into lots of problems with basis playback.  I upgraded the jail pkg and tried again, but it was no better.  Given a lack of time and plenty of snapshots, I rolled back to 4.1.1.0 and all is good again.

Its all a bit of a mess though, and there must be an easier way?

If you're not using freenas plugins, then you can use FreeBSD ports for stable, and the instructions on our website for beta:

https://emby.media/freebsd-server.html

Both are very easy methods. Thanks.

MRobi

If you're not using freenas plugins, then you can use FreeBSD ports for stable, and the instructions on our website for beta:

https://emby.media/freebsd-server.html

Both are very easy methods. Thanks.

Others may chime in here and correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe any of us in this thread have issues with not knowing how to install. We're all pretty comfortable with the various methods of installing.

What we're saying is that there's information lacking with each release to properly install, or in all of our cases here update to a newer version.

If some builds are built off of quarterly and others off of latest, how are we to know which to use when updating to a new version? 

When a new dependency such as libvpx is required, how are we to know until we update and run into issues?

All of the issues in this thread were run into while updating to a new version and were all related to package settings or dependencies. 

It would take 2 extra minutes to add "FREEBSD - Quarterly packages and new dependency XXXXX required" into the release notes and it would save a bunch of unnecessary topics and troubleshooting here.

I'm not even going to touch the topic of building from ports. I personally think the customization options offered when building from ports is going to result in a nightmare for anybody outside of the more advanced users.

• Like 1

I'll add that information to the website install instructions to clarify. Also i"ll be adding that the pkg install ... command for dependencies should be run with each update to ensure that you get any new dependencies that might have been added to the list.

adrianwi

Thanks for the response, which clarifies things a little, and the list of updated dependancies for each release will help even more.

I'd like to get to a situation where it was relatively easy to jump between stable and beta releases, which at the minute I'm struggling to see.  I could create two separate jails, but it would be easier not too and a better test if I'm using my full database.

Edited by adrianwi

I'd like to get to a situation where it was relatively easy to jump between stable and beta releases

That's not something we suggest. Even if is easy from the install side of things, the newer version could create any number of changes. Then when you roll back, the older version might not be able to cope with those changes.

adrianwi

Sorry, my wording could have been clearer.  Only looking to jump from stable to beta in order to test something.  If I needed to go back to a stable release, I'd roll back a snapshot, and not try to downgrade the jail.

PhilWhite

@@MRobi

I don't know if you recall all that you did, but I am on quarterly with the three (actually four, but three jails with emby) and just down-graded from 4.2.0.14 to 4.1.1.0 and got the same play error until I restarted the jail.  I also re-scanned all libraries and everything works fine with no play errors.  Do you know if you restarted the jail after updating your version?  I wonder if that might fix some encountered problems?

MRobi

@@MRobi

I don't know if you recall all that you did, but I am on quarterly with the three (actually four, but three jails with emby) and just down-graded from 4.2.0.14 to 4.1.1.0 and got the same play error until I restarted the jail.  I also re-scanned all libraries and everything works fine with no play errors.  Do you know if you restarted the jail after updating your version?  I wonder if that might fix some encountered problems?

Yes, I had many times. 

I'd also recommend against downgrading as such as it could cause issues with some of the dependencies. The better method would be to roll your jail back to a previous snapshot with the older version. 

PhilWhite

Yes, I had many times. 

I'd also recommend against downgrading as such as it could cause issues with some of the dependencies. The better method would be to roll your jail back to a previous snapshot with the older version. 

I agree, but in this instance I had skipped over the stable version and had been using betas.  There were some weird quirks with 4.2.0.14 (reported by others in the testing area), so I decided to go back to a stable version.  Looks like I got away with it; I have been on the quarterly branch all along, though.