50 replies to this topic

#21 makarai OFFLINE  

makarai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 501 posts
  • Local time: 11:35 PM

Posted 30 May 2019 - 06:34 AM

has anyone tried the the following BETA that was posted 27 hours ago? emby-server-freebsd11_4.2.0.10_amd64.txz?

yes it works quite well, check https://github.com/m...-emby/tree/beta

#22 sluggo45 OFFLINE  

sluggo45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • Local time: 04:35 PM

Posted 30 May 2019 - 07:02 PM

Been having good success myself with 4.2.0.10 on my 11.2U4 FreeNAS system. Earlier issues with the db that were related to mono (we're still on mono since .Net Core hasn't been ported to FreeBSD) have been resolved and overall it works quite well.

#23 MRobi OFFLINE  

MRobi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 270 posts
  • Local time: 06:35 PM

Posted 31 May 2019 - 03:13 PM

yes it works quite well, check https://github.com/m...-emby/tree/beta

Been having good success myself with 4.2.0.10 on my 11.2U4 FreeNAS system. Earlier issues with the db that were related to mono (we're still on mono since .Net Core hasn't been ported to FreeBSD) have been resolved and overall it works quite well.

Great news! I'll give this version a go over the weekend

#24 MRobi OFFLINE  

MRobi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 12:09 PM

Followed my normal upgrade procedure

service emby-server stop

pkg update

pkg upgrade

pkg add -f https://github.com/M....0.10_amd64.txz

service emby-server start

Added a new file to the system. "Daniel Tiger's Neighbourhood S03E30E31"

Tried to play file. Playback error. Switched over to my jail running 4.1.1.0 and it plays fine.

Again it appears that something in the upgrade process causes playback errors which do not present when the installation is done from scratch. But it's not exactly ideal to have to rebuild the entire jail every time a new version comes out.

Attached Files

• Attached File  Log.txt   485.17KB   3 downloads

Edited by MRobi, 01 June 2019 - 12:09 PM.

• Baenwort likes this

#25 MRobi OFFLINE  

MRobi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 12:21 PM

Scratch the previous post. I switched my pkgs back to quarterly from latest, force re-installed all pkg's, restarted emby-server and refreshed the files for that series and now it will play.

#26 sluggo45 OFFLINE  

sluggo45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 12:24 PM

Quarterly vs latest is a problem for lots of people, don't feel bad. It gives FreeNAS plugin developers fits, too.

#27 MRobi OFFLINE  

MRobi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 12:47 PM

Quarterly vs latest is a problem for lots of people, don't feel bad. It gives FreeNAS plugin developers fits, too.

Yup, I agree. I was on latest for the last beta based on a post a few weeks back and is usually one of the first things I try when something doesn't work.

#28 Baenwort OFFLINE  

Baenwort

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 148 posts
  • Local time: 10:35 PM

Posted 06 June 2019 - 11:46 PM

Is there any chance that when a beta or stable is released that a comment with the release could either be that it is built against a specific quarterly or at least which of the two options is right for that specific release?

#29 sluggo45 OFFLINE  

sluggo45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 11:09 AM

They are always built against quarterly, and the build VM uses the latest stable release of FreeBSD. The only major recent change is they now build against FreeBSD 11 and 12. Currently that means FreeBSD 11.2 and 12.0 as those are the latest stables. The latest FreeNAS (and FreeNAS jails) is based on FreeBSD 11.2.

As far as I know that has been the case for some time but Luke can confirm.

#30 MRobi OFFLINE  

MRobi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 02:09 PM

They are always built against quarterly, and the build VM uses the latest stable release of FreeBSD. The only major recent change is they now build against FreeBSD 11 and 12. Currently that means FreeBSD 11.2 and 12.0 as those are the latest stables. The latest FreeNAS (and FreeNAS jails) is based on FreeBSD 11.2.

As far as I know that has been the case for some time but Luke can confirm.

I had always run quarterly but had switched to latest because Luke had made another post saying it should be on latest (https://emby.media/c...e-4#entry735902)

So what @Baenwort is asking does have some validity. I think the easier way to accomplish this, instead of having a note for every release, would be to always assume quarterly UNLESS specified for the release to use latest. Because the large majority of new releases have been based off of quarterly packages.

EDIT: After posting this, I saw @Luke reference in another topic today to a post saying they've switched from quarterly to latest. But for this build to work, I was forced to switch from latest to quarterly. So maybe it would be a good idea to include in the file name either "quarterly" or "latest" as the new versions are released.

Edited by MRobi, 07 June 2019 - 02:12 PM.

• Baenwort likes this

#31 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 137896 posts
  • Local time: 05:35 PM

Posted 07 June 2019 - 04:40 PM

Regarding latest vs. quarterly, see here:

https://emby.media/c...-beta/?p=744600

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

#32 MRobi OFFLINE  

MRobi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 07:50 PM

Regarding latest vs. quarterly, see here:

https://emby.media/c...-beta/?p=744600

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

This thread says that the downloadable package should be on latest packages. On beta 4.2.0.10 this caused playback issues on newly added content. The fix was to switch back to quarterly packages and force install the dependencies again from quarterly. Now over a week in on quarterly packages and no issues. So this is a direct contradiction to that thread.

#33 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 137896 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 09:00 PM

This thread says that the downloadable package should be on latest packages. On beta 4.2.0.10 this caused playback issues on newly added content. The fix was to switch back to quarterly packages and force install the dependencies again from quarterly. Now over a week in on quarterly packages and no issues. So this is a direct contradiction to that thread.

The error in your most recent log appears to indicate that libvpx is missing and needs to be installed. Can you check that?

#34 MRobi OFFLINE  

MRobi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 11:52 AM

The error in your most recent log appears to indicate that libvpx is missing and needs to be installed. Can you check that?

The log posted earlier here was from the upgrade from beta 4.0.2.0 to stable 4.1.1.0. I rolled that jail back after the playback issues so I still have it untouched. I just checked and no libvpx is not installed. If libvpx was a new dependency for 4.1.1.0 then this would explain why 3 or 4 of us had issues with the upgrade and ended up having to do a fresh install to get it working. 

What I'm referring to here is from beta 4.2.0.5 to beta 4.2.0.10. Beta 4.2.0.5 was running perfectly on latest packages. Beta 4.2.0.10 would not play any newly added files with latest packages. I reverted 4.2.0.10 back to quarterly packages and it fixed my issue. I did not post a log here for this because switching from latest to quarterly was the fix and was the first thing I tried after a lot of recent confusion around quarterly/latest.

This is where the original request from @Baenwort came out of and I also think it's a great idea. If new dependencies required and latest/quarterly packages could be listed in the release notes or file name it would be a big help for those of us upgrading manually. I'd much rather upgrade than have to build a new jail for every new release.

• Baenwort likes this

#35 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 137896 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 01:33 PM

libvpx is a new dependency in the more recent betas. Please try installing that and see if that helps. Thanks.

#36 PhilWhite OFFLINE  

PhilWhite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 04:16 PM

Just to add a comment: I upgraded one of my emby versions to 4.2.0.14 today (previously on 4.2.0.5) and ran into the playback error issue.  Adding libvpx resolved the problem.  All working well as far as I can tell now.

ETA:  My other jails are on version 4.2.0.11 and already have libvpx installed.  Upgrading from 4.2.0.11 to 4.2.0.14 introduced no new problems that I can identify yet in one of those other jails (the other is still on 4.2.0.11).

Edited by PhilWhite, 10 June 2019 - 04:35 PM.

• Baenwort likes this

#37 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 137896 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 05:22 PM

Just to add a comment: I upgraded one of my emby versions to 4.2.0.14 today (previously on 4.2.0.5) and ran into the playback error issue.  Adding libvpx resolved the problem.  All working well as far as I can tell now.

ETA:  My other jails are on version 4.2.0.11 and already have libvpx installed.  Upgrading from 4.2.0.11 to 4.2.0.14 introduced no new problems that I can identify yet in one of those other jails (the other is still on 4.2.0.11).

Thanks ! I had already updated the website FreeBSD page to add libvpx. It is the FreeNAS page that will needs updating.

#38 MRobi OFFLINE  

MRobi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 07:32 PM

libvpx is a new dependency in the more recent betas. Please try installing that and see if that helps. Thanks.

Updated my jail running 4.0.2.0 to 4.1.1.0, added libvpx and forced a new file and got the exact same error as the original post. 

Switched this jail from quarterly to latest and refreshed the new file and it played.

So in summary, I've got 4.1.1.0 which needed to be on latest to work. and 4.2.0.10 which needed to be on quarterly to work.

#39 PhilWhite OFFLINE  

PhilWhite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 09:04 PM

Updated my jail running 4.0.2.0 to 4.1.1.0, added libvpx and forced a new file and got the exact same error as the original post. 

Switched this jail from quarterly to latest and refreshed the new file and it played.

So in summary, I've got 4.1.1.0 which needed to be on latest to work. and 4.2.0.10 which needed to be on quarterly to work.

Interesting.

Tracking down the dependency versions that cause the problems might be worth it, though the latest betas all seem to work with the quarterly updates (from what I can tell in my limited exposure).  That would argue for a new stable release soon that works with quarterlies if the last stable does not.  That would provide a clear direction for folks to take.

#40 adrianwi OFFLINE  

adrianwi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 360 posts
  • Local time: 10:35 PM
  • LocationScotland

Posted 11 June 2019 - 08:24 AM

I don't really have the time to beta test anything at the minute, and 4.1.1.0 is working pretty well for me so I don't have the need.

That said, I'd be completely confused if I did want to test things out, as the FreeBSD situation doesn't seem to get any clearer.

I gave up on plugins well before FreeNAS 11, so always build my own jail, and then ideally install the latest pkg.  This is what my current jail is running, and I assume the quarterly updates by default?

When I was testing the 3.6.x.x beta it was simply a case of updating emby from the github repository, but it doesn't look that straight forward anymore as dependancies need to be updated, and they might not depending on how you pkg.conf is setup?

I tried updating my jail to 4.2.0.14 using the pkg add github folder method, but ran into lots of problems with basis playback.  I upgraded the jail pkg and tried again, but it was no better.  Given a lack of time and plenty of snapshots, I rolled back to 4.1.1.0 and all is good again.

Its all a bit of a mess though, and there must be an easier way?

• Baenwort likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users