TVHeadend: identical streams triggering duplicate subscriptions?

danlo315

danlo315

Hello,

Just subscribed to Premiere to take advantage of Live TV functions.  I am using TVHeadend and IPTV streams.  I noticed that if I trigger identical streams (i.e. same channel with two different clients) in TVHeadend it is being requested as two separate streams.  When I use Kodi as client (with TVH PVR addon) it correctly identifies that a stream is being requested by multiple clients and won't initiate multiple (identical) streams.

Is this something that I am doing wrong, or a design choice that I am unaware of?  Thanks.

Hi there, why not use the m3u tuner feature directly with Emby? We have implemented stream sharing with that.

danlo315

Hi there, why not use the m3u tuner feature directly with Emby? We have implemented stream sharing with that.

Thanks for replying Luke.  I am running TVHeadend for multiple client apps, Emby being one of them.  I thought the best way would be to integrate TVH with Emby via the plugin?  Or do you suggest using the m3u/epg generation functionality of TVH and integrate that way?

@@danlo315, it depends. I would suggest the native Emby m3u support because that's what we're actively testing against, and we have developed a stream sharing solution for it.

Running it through TVH just adds an extra layer of complication. Yes in theory the sharing should also work with TVH, but I don't know TVH well enough to be able to answer that that's not happening. @@Gerrit507 may know the answer though.

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

danlo315

@@Luke I switched over to the m3u option today and there are significant pros. I'm going to list out the pros/cons (at least according to me) for those that might have questions later on:

Pro:

- *Fast* compared to the TVH plugin. EPG with the plugin took hours to refresh (around 250 channels) and m3u took about 2 minutes.

- I was able to confirm stream sharing works under m3u.

- Channel to EPG is much more flexible, I can choose a different EPG provider if I want to (I don't, just using the EPG out of TVH).

Con:

- Recording is Emby based and (understandably) not integrated with TVH. This means I have to go all-in with Emby as my client of choice, which I am not sure if I am ready yet.

- Also recording related, I use a different TVH streaming profile when recording shows but I won't be able to with m3u.

Same for both - one issue I continue to see on both options is that streams continue to run when clients don't terminate gracefully. I'd like to see a more robust solution.

Thanks for the feedback. What do you mean by streaming profile?

danlo315

Thanks for the feedback. What do you mean by streaming profile?

TVH has the concept of streaming profiles that you can customize for clients/situations. For example, Kodi with TVH uses "htsp"; I am using "pass" for Emby (which does not transcoding at all). Both profiles I set to terminate and switch to a different input if there is something wrong with a stream, which is super helpful for setups like mine where I have multiple IPTV streams with priorities set. In a recording session however, I have a higher tolerance of staying on a same stream even when there are errors. I don't have that luxury anymore and will need to stay with a single profile across all activities pertaining to that m3u.

Gerrit507

Hello,

Just subscribed to Premiere to take advantage of Live TV functions.  I am using TVHeadend and IPTV streams.  I noticed that if I trigger identical streams (i.e. same channel with two different clients) in TVHeadend it is being requested as two separate streams.  When I use Kodi as client (with TVH PVR addon) it correctly identifies that a stream is being requested by multiple clients and won't initiate multiple (identical) streams.

Is this something that I am doing wrong, or a design choice that I am unaware of?  Thanks.

I can't confirm this. I've opened the same channel on two kodi clients and one emby clients and see only one stream on the tv tuner and three subscriptions (two htsp by kodi, one http by emby). I'm using the plugin. When it comes to streaming there shouldn't be a difference between m3u and plugin setup. The m3u only offers the epg and the links to the channels as does the plugin with the only difference that it fetches the epg and links/channel ids via htsp.

I can confirm that the epg update via the plugin takes long (15 minutes). This was much faster once, like 4-5 minutes. Some emby update somehow made it slower.

Edited by Gerrit507

danlo315

I can't confirm this. I've opened the same channel on two kodi clients and one emby clients and see only one stream on the tv tuner and three subscriptions (two htsp by kodi, one http by emby). I'm using the plugin. When it comes to streaming there shouldn't be a difference between m3u and plugin setup. The m3u only offers the epg and the links to the channels as does the plugin with the only difference that it fetches the epg and links/channel ids via htsp.

I can confirm that the epg update via the plugin takes long (15 minutes). This was much faster once, like 4-5 minutes. Some emby update somehow made it slower.

Thanks for investigating.  What TVH version are you running?  I'm on 4.3-1789~g6bfeca6c0