Emby keeps re-scanning the same library

CharleyVarrick
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

CharleyVarrick

It sounds like a possible source of problem was already found with a meta-data provider.  It's quite possible the scan keeps running in order to fix meta-data.

But in general a few simple steps I would do.

Since you're using a drive pooling software I would manually check each drive (chkdsk) that makes up the pool.

Since this is a pool, this next step will be really easy.  What you want to do is look at the pooled drive in File Explorer.  Click on the date column to sort by date.

Do you see any directories with newer dates than you would expect?  If something is "touching" the files/directories in any way, this could continually kick off Emby scanning.

The win7 pc that host Emby + content is manually backed up to a mirror pc 2-3 times a week: Looking at to-do list usually consist of 0-3 new movie files, 75-200 TV files.

But along with 1-10 K of old .NFO's because a minute amount of data was modified on a lot of files, usually date related. I always thought of those as "normal" side effect of Emby library scans/Emby for Kodi scans.

As was partly said before, along with StableBit DrivePool, I'm constantly running the sister application Scanner to check drives status and reporting. 

This is what it always say:

- No bad sectors found

- No file system problems found

- No On-disk Health Checks problems found

Scanner isn't the same as Chkdsk as they do different things.  It wouldn't hurt to run check disc on each and every drive you have just for well being and knowing it's not an underlying cause.

By any chance is your backup running or just ran when you see Emby having this issue?  That can very well cause this to happen as the backup/archive bit could be getting changed as each file/folder is backed up.  That could change the last modified date and cause Emby to rerun the scan.  Depending on how long backup takes to run, this could cause a lot of scan cycling as well.

CharleyVarrick

But that's not going to be the answer to this topic. The answer is that the realtime monitor is reacting to file changes.

@@Luke,

RTM is acting up, agreed and I appreciate everyone involvements including yours.

But I clearly see a second issue: Emby dealing less than elegantly with "retired" themoviedb ID#

Whether or not those issues are related is beyond me. But they might.

• Solution

I've pushed version 1.1.1 of the MovieDb plugin. That will prevent all of the errors in the log.

• Like 1

CharleyVarrick

I've pushed version 1.1.1 of the MovieDb plugin. That will prevent all of the errors in the log.

Thank you ! :)  I'm trying it right now and will let you know how it goes asap.

EDIT: 30 minutes in, no scan loop, and I can't find any errors in my log. Looking good !

Edited by jlr19
  • Like 1

CharleyVarrick

Apart from Emby server, I have 2 other pc running Emby for Kodi, The 1st adapted quickly and updated in a normal way. For the 2nd Emby for Kodi, after emby welcome, no update progress verbose, and I noticed it had fallen behind in latest tv show.

I performed a Local database reset, probably the 5th in the last week, which seemed to have ended abnormally/incomplete sometime last night. At this point, scan loop was observed in Emby.

Earlier today, I uninstalled Emby for Kodi, then reinstalled it. For now it appears up to date and NO Emby scan loop.

Should scan loop resume, I'll report back here. If Emby for Kodi continues to fall behind (not acknowledge newest additions), I'll report in Emby for Kodi area.

A big thank you to everyone involved :)