Emby keeps re-scanning the same library

CharleyVarrick
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

CharleyVarrick

Hi,

this morning, for some reasons, Emby is constantly scanning my movies library. As soon as it reaches 100%, it restart the same scan of same library.

Attached is Emby log.

emby log.txt

CharleyVarrick

Nevermind, I am unexpectedly performing a full reinstall of Emby.

CharleyVarrick

I am surprised to report the original problem is back, after a full Emby reinstall.

From Emby Home page, the small green circle (with % of library scanned) pops up over the movie library, jumps to 90% process the rest within 30-45 seconds, and disappear. 10 seconds later, it goes thru the same steps, endlessly it seems.

Look at 14:35 and after, there was a scan a minute for a while. Log enclosed.

embyserver.txt

Hi, try turning off the realtime monitor for your emby libraries. To do this, click into the library settings for each library in Emby library setup. Thanks.

Happy2Play

Only time I see something like this is if I add a lot of files or my other metadata provider (MCM) touches and/or updates a lot of files.  So the staggered realtime monitor queues the changes.  As a scan is running while another gets queued.

CharleyVarrick

Hi, try turning off the realtime monitor for your emby libraries. To do this, click into the library settings for each library in Emby library setup. Thanks.

I turned it off for Movies library (as its the only one constantly updating), but it hasn't stopped the issue.

Edited by jlr19

CharleyVarrick

Only time I see something like this is if I add a lot of files or my other metadata provider (MCM) touches and/or updates a lot of files.  So the staggered realtime monitor queues the changes.  As a scan is running while another gets queued.

I'm adding "lots of files" in TV shows (10 or more) on a daily basis, but my Movies library is pretty quiet, maybe 3 additions a week.

Edited by jlr19

CharleyVarrick

As a side effect, I noticed Emby does not update my busier tv shows library.

Additional info: Restarting Emby. Constant scanning of movies library stops, but I as soon as I add content to movie library or Emby performs a scheduled scan of it, the continuous scan starts over.

Edited by jlr19

Make sure to restart the server after turning off the real-time monitor.

CharleyVarrick

Make sure to restart the server after turning off the real-time monitor.

Done already Luke,

Since restarting, Emby hasn't gone scan loop, but it didn't either process/add a few "test" content addition I throwed.

Then again,to be expected with realtime monitor turned off.

Speaking of which, should I turn it  back on and see if scan loop resumes?

Edited by jlr19

CharleyVarrick

So far so good, but I'm going to keep an eye out on it

(btw, that hurts like hell, you have no idea... :rolleyes:)

Edited by jlr19

CharleyVarrick

Sure.

Within minutes after re enabling realtime monitor in Movies Library and rebooting, the issue is back, but this time its a different library.

Should I go thru the same steps as before, but this time about the newly affected library?

CharleyVarrick

I went ahead and disabled realtime monitor on newly affected library, restarted the server and within hours, back to square 1: the original problem library (Movies) is scanned every minute.

And like before, while this is going on, no other libraries gets updated.

Edited by jlr19

CBers

Can you see any file changes in the library in question?

Do you perhaps have any other metadata program running that might be updating the said library/folder?

Is this Windows install, or another OS?

CharleyVarrick

1) Can you see any file changes in the library in question?

2) Do you perhaps have any other metadata program running that might be updating the said library/folder?

3) Is this Windows install, or another OS?

1) nothing stands out

2) Kodi, with help from Emby for Kodi, on two win10 machines

3) server runs on win7x64

Edited by jlr19

PenkethBoy

An idea - guess

Go through each of you libraries and toggle the RTM off - exit the page wait 5 secs then go back and re enable RTM

This will save the xml file for the library - i had an issue with one of the betas where the xml was not updated to reflect new (added) settings till i did this - although it was not related to RTM - it might help

CharleyVarrick

2) Kodi, with help from Emby for Kodi, on two win10 machines

Please note continous scan behavior was observed without any Kodi device running

CBers

@@jlr19 Looks like you posted at the same time as @@PenkethBoy - did you see his post ?

Also, have you checked your hardware, in case there is a failing drive ?

CharleyVarrick

An idea - guess

Go through each of you libraries and toggle the RTM off - exit the page wait 5 secs then go back and re enable RTM

This will save the xml file for the library - i had an issue with one of the betas where the xml was not updated to reflect new (added) settings till i did this - although it was not related to RTM - it might help

I did just that, to no avail

CharleyVarrick

@@jlr19 Looks like you posted at the same time as @@PenkethBoy - did you see his post ?

Also, have you checked your hardware, in case there is a failing drive ?

Yes and yes.

Stablebit scanner reports all drives nominal

CharleyVarrick

There seems to be a ton of errors in my Emby log, but I have no idea how to interpret them.

Recent log attached, in case it could help...

embyserver.txt

Edited by jlr19

PenkethBoy

Yes loads of errors to do with Moviedb lookup

Does this path exist even if the file does not?

Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Users\jlr\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\cache\tmdb-movies2\394144\all-en.json'