Album art not updating

RedKong

mortecouille

Moving the data to another folder and rescanning did not fix it. I cna try again. 

The cover is already located in the folder (I use cover.jpg, not folder.jpg though but it shouldn't matter). So the image is both in the tags AND in the folder. 

I have tried all possibilities of refreshing metadata, several times. On the tracks, on the album, on the whole library. Again, for the Album art itself, it picks up any changes. But for the tracks it never does. 

dansblackcat

When I update my images I'm normally just updating to a better quality version of the image, so maybe I'm not noticing that emby isn't picking up the image change for the tracks.

I'll change a few to completely different images tonight, and see if I can replicate the issue you're having.

dansblackcat

Moving the data to another folder and rescanning did not fix it. I cna try again. 

The cover is already located in the folder (I use cover.jpg, not folder.jpg though but it shouldn't matter). So the image is both in the tags AND in the folder. 

I have tried all possibilities of refreshing metadata, several times. On the tracks, on the album, on the whole library. Again, for the Album art itself, it picks up any changes. But for the tracks it never does. 

Tested and confirmed. No matter what I do I'm unable to get emby to update the track artwork.

I tried every combination I can think of.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
dansblackcat

@Luke 

Any thoughts on how to get emby to update track artwork?

EZEd

In my experience even if you change each track using MP3Tag you still have to manually change it inside of Emby. Three dot edit either on the album cover level or for each individual track. I was thinking mine was a unique case because I had turned all of the scrapers off (musicbrainz and audiodb) but I see others are having similar experience with scrapers on as well. Manual is better. It's tedious but effective.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

dansblackcat

Changing the track artwork in mp3tag changes the 'date modified' for the track. So you'd think it should be fairly straight forward for emby to detect any changes and then apply them? 

@Luke 

Any thoughts on how to get emby to update track artwork?

Is there also an image inside the album folder?

dansblackcat

Is there also an image inside the album folder?

Yes I have a folder.jpg image.  It's the same image that's imbedded into each track.

Emby seems to update the album artwork just fine when changes are made, but I can't seem to update the track images. No matter what I do.

Edited by dansblackcat

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, dansblackcat said:

Any other suggestions or a fix for this?

What I had to do for mine was to process all tracks for a particular album inside of MP3Tag.  Load an album's tracks inside of MP3Tag (or however many you know for sure you want to have the same album cover art for. "Select all" inside of MP3Tag, right click on the image field (lower left corner) and select "remove cover", then right click again and select "add cover". Browse to select the cover JPG image that you want to use for all selected tracks.  Then hit save.  Check each one (track) individually to make sure the selected JPG image was saved to the file (one and only one image - no other images attached to that track/file).  Then go back to Emby and "Scan Library" (you can just do it for Music only).  After scan finishes, refresh the page which should take you back to the main Emby home page and go into Music library to see if your changes stuck.  That's the routine I have to go through for almost every single artist, mainly because I can't use scrapers (and the even worse carnage that they inflict on my music library).  Your situation might be different.

• 4 months later...
JasonBone

This issue right here is why I'm leaving Emby and going back to Plex. I'd love to know when this has been fixed so I can try Emby again, but until then this is an intolerable product flaw.

HimbeerToni

I encountered the same problem last week by adding my music library and trying to fix some wrong covers. I even started a new topic in this forum and overlooked that this bug exists for over a year.

It would be nice if one of the developers finally takes care of this tiresome topic and fixes it. Keep up the good work because I really like Emby.

benmoses

Just to chime in... since I've curated my collection and re-added it for the last time sometime last year my library and its artwork have been fine.  Adding new music with its associated artwork has also been fine.  I haven't been affected by this problem since then because I haven't had to change anything currently existing within my library.  But it's good to see updates on this thread so we know if there's been any work on this problem.

• 1 year later...
Vienna

Reviving this topic as I am now running into this issue a lot while trying to improve a bunch of album art images for my library. I've tried everything mentioned previously on the thread, and my observation is album art will not update (or will revert to the image from the initial scan) as long as the album name remains the same.

The weirdest example of this was when I did a test of changing the album name to something random and re-added it: Emby did in fact update the album art in that case. Pretty easily actually. But then I removed the album, re-tagged it back to the correct name (using mp3tag for all of this), and re-added it: Emby then reverted the image back to the old one! Even though I had just achieved the desired updated image when the album name was different.

So is there something in the Emby metadata library that is retaining the original image file and somehow linking it to the original album name whenever it is present? And could that original image be located and manually deleted? My understanding is the metadata folders are randomly generated so the most I can do is blindly click into them, but obviously haven't found anything that way since there are so many. But I feel like the original stubborn image files are lurking somewhere in there. Otherwise I have no explanation how these images could even still exist. They have been completely deleted from everywhere else.

Happy2Play
2 minutes ago, Vienna said:

Reviving this topic as I am now running into this issue a lot while trying to improve a bunch of album art images for my library. I've tried everything mentioned previously on the thread, and my observation is album art will not update (or will revert to the image from the initial scan) as long as the album name remains the same.

The weirdest example of this was when I did a test of changing the album name to something random and re-added it: Emby did in fact update the album art in that case. Pretty easily actually. But then I removed the album, re-tagged it back to the correct name (using mp3tag for all of this), and re-added it: Emby then reverted the image back to the old one! Even though I had just achieved the desired updated image when the album name was different.

So is there something in the Emby metadata library that is retaining the original image file and somehow linking it to the original album name whenever it is present? And could that original image be located and manually deleted? My understanding is the metadata folders are randomly generated so the most I can do is blindly click into them, but obviously haven't found anything that way since there are so many. But I feel like the original stubborn image files are lurking somewhere in there. Otherwise I have no explanation how these images could even still exist. They have been completely deleted from everywhere else.

Have you checked /metadata/musicalbums?

What is your library "Music folder structure:" setting?

17 minutes ago, Vienna said:

Hi, what do you mean "will not update"? Will not update from what exactly?

Vienna
On 4/13/2022 at 2:24 PM, Luke said:

Hi, what do you mean "will not update"? Will not update from what exactly?

If I re-tag music files and embed a new album art image (for example better quality or higher resolution), the image does not update on Emby. It keep displaying the old album art image, even after trying all the suggestions in this thread. 

Edited by Vienna
  • Agree 1

Happy2Play
10 minutes ago, Vienna said:

If I re-tag music files and embed a new album art image (for example better quality or higher resolution), the image does not update on Emby. It keep displaying the old album art image, even after trying all the suggestions in this thread. 

Track art and Album art can be different as the Album folder could contain a different image then the tracks making album and track different.

What are is in the folder?

Does Art already exist in /metadata/muscicalbums?

Vienna
6 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Track art and Album art can be different as the Album folder could contain a different image then the tracks making album and track different.

What are is in the folder?

Does Art already exist in /metadata/muscicalbums?

I only use tagging for the album/track art, so only the audio tracks and the nfo file are in the folder. I don't include a separate folder image file. Which usually works fine, Emby picks up the initially embedded image in the tracks and makes that both the album and track art.

I did mess around a bit with the track art vs. album art, for example manually changing the album art, but the tracks' art remains the same that way, as you said. So the only solution is to manually edit the image of every track (plus the one album image), which isn't practical with the amount of tracks I'd have to change. So I guess ultimately the track image is more the issue, as it's displaying an image that it is no longer tagged with.

I actually don't have a "musicalalbums" folder within my "metadata" folder, only "library" and "views". Not sure if it's because I'm using a Mac.

• 1 month later...
Vienna

Hi, 

Any update on this? Still having trouble getting Emby to refresh the album art when I re-tag/re-embed the tracks with a new image. Lately a few actually have updated after refreshing metadata, but not sure what was different about those. Most do not.

Just now, Vienna said:

Hi, 

Any update on this? Still having trouble getting Emby to refresh the album art when I re-tag/re-embed the tracks with a new image. Lately a few actually have updated after refreshing metadata, but not sure what was different about those. Most do not.

Yea as I mentioned in other topics, you need to do manual refreshes of metadata and check the box to replace existing images. But in addition to that, tracks and albums have their own images, so that might be what's leading you into thinking that it's not working. It's something that we need to review and look at how to make easier.

Vienna
On 6/17/2022 at 1:43 PM, Luke said:

Yea as I mentioned in other topics, you need to do manual refreshes of metadata and check the box to replace existing images. But in addition to that, tracks and albums have their own images, so that might be what's leading you into thinking that it's not working. It's something that we need to review and look at how to make easier.

The manual refresh somehow still conjures up the old image, not even sure how that's possible since it's been scrubbed from everything. But also definitely checking the individual tracks and they retain the old image as well, and this is after trying every variation on manually refreshing the metadata. The only definitive fix I've found is to manually delete the old image and upload the new image one-by-one for each individual track. So I guess that's the part that could be made easier since it becomes impractical when you need to do that for hundreds of individual tracks. 

Vienna

I actually found a better solution (maybe not "found", but gained a bit more clarity on what Luke already said). Instead of manually uploading the new image file for each track, the tracks can be multi-selected and then there is an option to refresh the metadata (w/ 'replace existing images') of those selected tracks. That finally does the trick 100% of the time: when playing those tracks the image is now updated. Therefore, the only manual image upload would be of the overall album thumbnail, which of course only needs to be done once for each album.

So ultimately the only semi-tedious part is selecting each of the tracks, but even if there are a lot, that is way easier than actually going into the image metadata for each track and manually swapping out the image, which is what I thought needed to be done. This solution definitely works for me. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2022 at 9:20 PM, Vienna said:

The manual refresh somehow still conjures up the old image, not even sure how that's possible since it's been scrubbed from everything. But also definitely checking the individual tracks and they retain the old image as well, and this is after trying every variation on manually refreshing the metadata. The only definitive fix I've found is to manually delete the old image and upload the new image one-by-one for each individual track. So I guess that's the part that could be made easier since it becomes impractical when you need to do that for hundreds of individual tracks. 

Hi, can you please show us an example? I just tested and the manual refresh of metadata on tracks works just fine, but you have to check the box to replace existing images.