Overlay missing on 3.0.8

csadoian

Mbedford

As emby theatre auto updates, is there anyway to rollback to the old working version and stop it auto updating again until this is fixed for us all please?

rikiwi

Try to completely uninstall Emby Theater and then reinstall it. I haven't had any new issues after I had done that.

I tried that - No difference,

I'm on Windows 10 pro.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Uninstalling and reinstalling does not fix the issue

Also, I don't see anywhere on the app where you can tell it to update or NOT to udpate. So, it will continue to auto update on its own unfortunately.

csadoian

Uninstalling and reinstalling does not fix the issue

Also, I don't see anywhere on the app where you can tell it to update or NOT to udpate. So, it will continue to auto update on its own unfortunately.

Forced updating has it's drawbacks, but that's what the industry is morphing to thanks to mobile devices.

What I would like to see is some options added to the update process that could give the user more control, when possible.  For instance, in the case of the Emby Theater update from 3.0.6 to 3.0.8, if the previous version can continue to function with the current server and the update is not patching a critical vulnerability, I would like to see an option for the user to defer the update for xx number of days.  Another option might be to offer the user the ability to roll back to the previous version.  As it is now, once the new release has been pushed to the distribution channel there is no way for the average user to download and install the previous version.  Even if this were possible, it would automatically update to 3.0.8 within a short time.

While I'm at it (and I know I'm repeating myself), it would REALLY be helpful to display some sort of message when auto updating the apps!!  I have a couple of Windows tablets I use with Emby Theater and the first time the software updated it appeared the tablet had locked up.  I launched the app and nothing appears to happen for 3 or 4 minutes because the processors aren't the fastest.  One automatically assumes that you didn't double click properly so you do it again and again, screwing things up worse.  It's not as noticeable on faster desktop machines, but there is still a long pause where nothing seems to be happening.  An informational popup with a progress bar would REALLY  be helpful when the update is taking place.

An informational popup with a progress bar would REALLY  be helpful when the update is taking place.

Yes you're absolutely right.

For those seeing this, if you click where the OSD should be, is there any button reaction?

Also if you click in the middle of the video, does it toggle pause like it used to?

AdamPhillips

Clicking in the middle of the video pauses and resumes playback as it used to.

Mousing over the OSD area changes the pointer from an arrow to a hand and clicking where the timeline would be does jump the video to that point as usual.   

• Like 1

csadoian

For those seeing this, if you click where the OSD should be, is there any button reaction?

Also if you click in the middle of the video, does it toggle pause like it used to?

Yes.  All the controls are there and reactive, you just cannot see them.  If I click in the middle off the video it toggles pause.

I've become pretty good at guesstimating where the controls "should" be on the screen. :)  Today I was half-watching a show and needed to toggle the sound on and off.  I put the mouse pointer where I think the mute button normally is on the overlay and clicked to mute.  Sometimes ya gotta do what you gotta do  :D 

But I really wish the overlay would come back ...   I'm curious, has anyone on the Emby programming team been able to duplicate the issue?

csadoian

@@Luke

Attached is a screen shot of a paused video using Emby Theater on my Windows 7 machine.  You will note in the upper left corner where you would normally see the back arrow on the overlay you can see my mouse pointer that has changed to a hand, indicating it is hovering over a clickable element.  If I click, it performs as expected, stopping the video and returning to the previous screen.

Also, as a test I used the program compatibility tab to set Emby Theater so it would "disable desktop composition".  When running Emby Theater with desktop composition disabled the lower portion of the overlay becomes visible and flashes quickly on the screen.  After about 5 seconds the flashing stops.  If I move the mouse the overlay begins flashing again.  However, the flashing is much too quick to be of any use.

post-227234-0-00365400-1556506545_thumb.jpg

All buttons are there and work, you just cannot see them.

If you are good at placing your mouse where they're supposed to be, you can continue to use the controls.

blade005

@@Luke

I don't think this is specific to a certain version of Windows. I am seeing the same result as others have reported on both a Win 7 and Win 10 machine right after they both updated to Emby Theater version 3.0.8.  You can use a remote or mouse to Pause and Resume video, but OSD is not visible.  Specifics below.

Win 7 64-Bit

Intel HD Graphics (Core i3)

Win 10 64-Bit

Intel HD Graphics 2500

Operating Systems and Drives are up to date. Introduction of Emby Theater version 3.0.8 is when visibility to OSD was lost.

csadoian

For those of you having the overlay issue with 3.0.8 there is a way to roll back to 3.0.6 until a fix is ready.

1.  Go to: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/emby-theater-windows/releases

and find the 3.0.6 release and download the appropriate zip file (X86 or X64)

2.  Open up an explorer window and navigate to c:\users\name\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Theater

3.  Rename the folder system to system.old

4.  Rename the folder data to data.old

5.  Create a new folder called system and extract the contents of the 3.0.6 release into this folder

6.  Rename MediaBrowser.Updater.exe to MediaBrowser.Updater.exe.old in the system folder.

You may have to enable "show extensions for known file types" in order to see the .exe extension on your system.

This worked on my system.  I have my overlay back for now.

Note:  Emby-Theater will download the 3.0.8 update and store it in the folder updates, but it won't be installed.

After a fix is issued you can uninstall the program and do a fresh installation.

Edited by csadoian
  • Like 1

Mbedford

So can we rollback until this is fixed, or a fix is promised in the next few days please?

csadoian

Hi, can you try this version and let me know how it compares?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k0qu7bqlh9y00pz/theater-x64.zip?dl=0

Thanks.

Luke,

When playing video, the overlay initially shows up, but the video is not visible.  In fact, the only thing that is visible is the overlay.  After the overlay times out my monitor is completely blank (except for the desktop), only the sound is playing.  I cannot get the overlay to re-appear by moving the mouse.  The whole Emby Theater program is invisible, it only appears in the taskbar, and I cannot right click to close it.  I had to CTRL-ALT-DEL and kill the process.

Edit:  My mistake, from the taskbar i CAN right click and the close window option does appear.  It wasn't appearing at first because I had started the program on my secondary monitor.  When viewed on my primary monitor the icon on the taskbar behaves as it should.

Edited by csadoian

Luke,

When playing video, the overlay initially shows up, but the video is not visible.  In fact, the only thing that is visible is the overlay.  After the overlay times out my monitor is completely blank (except for the desktop), only the sound is playing.  I cannot get the overlay to re-appear by moving the mouse.  The whole Emby Theater program is invisible, it only appears in the taskbar, and I cannot right click to close it.  I had to CTRL-ALT-DEL and kill the process.

Edit:  My mistake, from the taskbar i CAN right click and the close window option does appear.  It wasn't appearing at first because I had started the program on my secondary monitor.  When viewed on my primary monitor the icon on the taskbar behaves as it should.

So you're saying this version helped?

csadoian

So you're saying this version helped?

Sorry ... I guess I wasn't clear in my posting.  No, this version is worse.  When you tell Emby to play a video, THE VIDEO IS NOT VISIBLE AT ALL.  Only the OVERLAY shows up on the screen (with no background at all, just the desktop), and after 5 seconds of no mouse movement the overlay disappears and only the desktop background is visible.  The only reason I know the program is still there and running is that I can hear the sound from the video playing.  At that point Emby Theater itself is invisible on my system.  If I move the mouse the overlay does not come back so I cannot stop or exit the video.

Attached is a screen shot of what it looks like just after I start the video.  You will see the overlay, but no video.  You see my desktop wallpaper behind the overlay.  When the overlay times out, all you see is my desktop, but the video is playing, it's just not visible.  Mouse movement does not bring the overlay back.  I have no control at all.

If the video plays to the end, Emby Theater returns and appears to function normally.

If I can be of more help, let me know.

post-227234-0-27206800-1556823041_thumb.jpg

Edited by csadoian

blade005

@@Luke

Seeing the same behavior that @@csadoian reported with the version of ET made available in post #43.

Basically the flip version of what is occuring with the released version of ET 3.08. Overlay is visible, but no video while audio plays in background.

davesurfer

I'm also experiencing no playback OSD/overlay. (reported in new post https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/73222-after-4110-update-restart-no-playback-osd-metadata-not-created-for-new-content/) Mine happened after I restarted the PC after updating Emby server to 4.1.1.0. I'm also experiencing the Windows taskbar that displays during playback! Even if I auto-hide taskbar, a blank spot showing the desktop background where the taskbar would be shows. It's weird. I had Emby Theatre 2.9, just ran the installation from the website link and it installed 3.0 but didn't fix any issues.

davesurfer

Oh another thing, I can't fast forward any more either! And the taskbar overtop of the player actually cuts out the bottom half of the player! Just going to use good old media player classic with a mouse and keyboard for now I guess

csadoian

@@Luke

Is the version of Emby Theater that is delivered via the web site download the original 3.0.8 or does it include the changes you included and made available via the dropbox link?

Reason I ask is my brother in law brought over his older HP tower that runs Windows 7 Professional X86 that he uses primarily offline (i.e. not connected to the internet for everyday use).  He brought it over so I could hook it up to internet and bring it up to date with security patches.  The last time it had taken any updates was in December of 2017.  I brought it current will all patches and then I thought since I had it here I would install Emby Theater on it and see if it had the overlay problem.  After I installed it I fired it up and then tried to play a recording that was in the library.  I was surprised to see it acted like the version you made available in your Dropbox link, in that when I tried to play the video only the overlay showed up, no video was visible on the screen (sound only).  Acted just like the dropbox version.  I expected the 3.0.8 version from the web site to have the original symptoms, i.e. video but no overlay.  Thus the reason why I'm asking what version is on the web site for public download.

The older 3.0.6 (from Github) works fine on the computer, no issues with the overlay or video.