Photo

Need advice on hardware requirements for 1080p transcoding.

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 lightsout OFFLINE  

lightsout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 687 posts
  • Local time: 08:34 PM

Posted 10 December 2019 - 10:54 AM

Yeah, the GTX 1050 Ti goes to 4GB max. I would say that's plenty until recently. There are evn 32GB cards....
The GTX 1660 goes up to 6GB.
Where I looked the cards with the most memory in their series are the cheapest. So that's a no brainer.

Found some great deals on Ebay (if I win the auction). Thanks for the tip!
Now I have to figure out if GBs are more or less important than a later generation card. Like 1660-6GB vs 1080-8GB

I think for this usage once we're talking 6gb you looking pretty good. I would personally rather have the 1660 for the upgraded encoding cup. Smaller card, less heat, less power. That's just my .02.

If you look at the 1660 on those charts I linked you can do quite a few transcodes.

#22 MyMediaAtHome OFFLINE  

MyMediaAtHome

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • Local time: 05:34 AM

Posted 10 December 2019 - 11:28 AM

Your .02 are very valued :-)

Found a 1660 Ti 6GB for $308.

And a complete Gaming PC for $330

Specs of that PC

• GTX 1660 'regular' 6GB
  • Ryzen 5 2400G - 3.6GHz
  • 8GB memory.
  • And all the other stuff like tower case, PSU, Windows, mouse, keyboard and HDD of unknown capacity.

Another Gaming PC that's a bit pricey. $550

• GTX 1660 Ti 6GB
  • i5 4460
  • 16GB memory
  • Case, Windows, PSU and 1TB HDD

I wasn't really looking for a complete build, but perhaps a fat GPU isn't a good match for a Pentium G4400.

But the main thing is still good transcoding so I have to figure out the Ti is really worth it for that use. https://www.rockpape...660-vs-1660-ti/

#23 lightsout OFFLINE  

lightsout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 03:13 PM

$330 seems pretty cheap for that first setup. I world assume everything is going to be generic. ie, cheapest model of that GPU, bottom of the line Mobo and power supply. One stick of slow ram.

For Htpc/server use it probably wouldn't matter.

I don't think you will see any difference getting the 1660ti for Emby. Are you gaming with this machine?

I world not at all recommend that second system. A 4 core 4 thread CPU in 2019 is not worth it. That's a very old CPU/platform.

If this is just for Emby, just adding a gpu should help a lot. If you also want better CPU performance you could just replace your current Pentium.

#24 Sammy OFFLINE  

Sammy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3181 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 03:18 PM

@MyMediaAtHome

Where you at? I'll be having an i5 4690k available soon.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Edited by Sammy, 10 December 2019 - 03:20 PM.

#25 MyMediaAtHome OFFLINE  

MyMediaAtHome

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 03:46 PM

$330 seems pretty cheap for that first setup. I world assume everything is going to be generic. ie, cheapest model of that GPU, bottom of the line Mobo and power supply. One stick of slow ram.

For Htpc/server use it probably wouldn't matter.

I don't think you will see any difference getting the 1660ti for Emby. Are you gaming with this machine?

I world not at all recommend that second system. A 4 core 4 thread CPU in 2019 is not worth it. That's a very old CPU/platform.

If this is just for Emby, just adding a gpu should help a lot. If you also want better CPU performance you could just replace your current Pentium.

I can't really comment on the slow ram. But if must guess I'd say not slow. It's a gamer PC with led strips on the case. A dragon on the case and mouse. Surely that's not proof of anything... The advertizer states it runs all games on medium.
This machine is a dedicated HTPC/server. My TV is connected to it, at that's it.

I've been looking around and finding a GPU like that under $330 isn't that easy, unless I can have one with a lowball offer at an action. Combined with a CPU, I doubt below $330 is possible. Not needed right now, but the 1TB extra storage is nice too. The  1660 uses 120W. The PSU in my HTTP is only 200W.

I'm really considering  pulling the trigger on the $330 PC

#26 MyMediaAtHome OFFLINE  

MyMediaAtHome

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 03:48 PM

@MyMediaAtHome

Where you at? I'll be having an i5 4690k available soon.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Netherlands

#27 lightsout OFFLINE  

lightsout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 04:58 PM

I can't really comment on the slow ram. But if must guess I'd say not slow. It's a gamer PC with led strips on the case. A dragon on the case and mouse. Surely that's not proof of anything... The advertizer states it runs all games on medium.
This machine is a dedicated HTPC/server. My TV is connected to it, at that's it.

I've been looking around and finding a GPU like that under $330 isn't that easy, unless I can have one with a lowball offer at an action. Combined with a CPU, I doubt below $330 is possible. Not needed right now, but the 1TB extra storage is nice too. The 1660 uses 120W. The PSU in my HTTP is only 200W.

I'm really considering pulling the trigger on the $330 PC

For $330 you can't go wrong. I just wanted to point out some common expectations at that price.

I don't think you'll be able to build anything and come close to that price. Especially for an Htpc you'll be doing great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users